Re: [xenu-usergroup] using broadband

    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
      On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:39:07 -0700, wydeboi wrote:

      >I searched the entire c drive for a file or folder with %temp%
      >nothing found.

      %temp% is a placeholder. Don't search it, type it in the explorer. It
      will expand to your actual temp directory. For example, my temp dir is

      C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\XXXX\Lokale Einstellungen\Temp
    • wydeboi
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
        your explorer must be different from mine on xp, I have no place to type
        in anything except in the search box. also, I just tried Xenu with
        another site of mine different url and different server, same response,
        file not found.

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
          On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:47:24 -0700, wydeboi wrote:

          >your explorer must be different from mine on xp, I have no place to type
          >in anything except in the search box. also, I just tried Xenu with
          >another site of mine different url and different server, same response,
          >file not found.

          Then try this:

          Click on START, RUN

          type
          cmd.exe

          type
          cd %temp%
          del tgh*.*

          Alternatively - did you install a (non microsoft) firewall recently? Try
          disabling it (install all MS patches first) and run Xenu again.
        • wydeboi
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
            I have not installed a non-microsoft firewall, I do not use microsofts
            firewall, I use zonealarm, for years and it has always worked with Xenu.
            I'll try the command line.

            Tilman Hausherr wrote:

            >On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:47:24 -0700, wydeboi wrote:
            >

            >>your explorer must be different from mine on xp, I have no place to type
            >>in anything except in the search box. also, I just tried Xenu with
            >>another site of mine different url and different server, same response,
            >>file not found.
            >>

            >Then try this:
            >
            >Click on START, RUN
            >
            >type
            > cmd.exe
            >
            >type
            > cd %temp%
            > del tgh*.*
            >

            >Alternatively - did you install a (non microsoft) firewall recently? Try
            >disabling it (install all MS patches first) and run Xenu again.
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • wydeboi
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
              tried the command line, then ran Xenu, did not work, same error message,
              file not found.

              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
                On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:37:58 -0700, wydeboi wrote:

                >tried the command line, then ran Xenu, did not work, same error message,
                >file not found.

                That's it :-( I have no more ideas (I assume you have the latest
                version). If you find a way to let me access your PC through "remote
                assistance" (your firewall may prevent this), e-mail me directly.

                Tilman
              • wydeboi
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
                  I have version 1.2g, I'll look into remote access.
                  Thanks for all your help.
                  Jack

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
                    well, I went to your site and read through everything about the download
                    and use and lo and behold, Xenu will not work unless I have first
                    launched IE and typed in a url. I never had to do this before, so I did
                    that and Xenu is now spidering my site. Sorry for the trouble.
                    Thanks again,
                    Jack

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
                      On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:55:59 -0700, wydeboi wrote:

                      >well, I went to your site and read through everything about the download
                      >and use and lo and behold, Xenu will not work unless I have first
                      >launched IE and typed in a url. I never had to do this before, so I did
                      >that and Xenu is now spidering my site. Sorry for the trouble.

                      This suggests a setup problem with windows. Maybe you have two
                      WININET.DLL files, or your DLL isn't in your path... or another
                      important DLL isn't accessible...

                      Xenu works for me and I almost never use IE :-)

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 28, 2005
                        On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:55:59 -0700, wydeboi wrote:

                        >well, I went to your site and read through everything about the download
                        >and use and lo and behold, Xenu will not work unless I have first
                        >launched IE and typed in a url. I never had to do this before, so I did
                        >that and Xenu is now spidering my site. Sorry for the trouble.

                        I had forgotten that I had mentioned it in the FAQ. I have now added
                        something about your experience. If you ever find out that something
                        solved the problem (i.e. that you don't have to start IE first), e-mail
                        me how.

                        Did you install any new software with your broadband account?

                        Have you installed Google Earth, and if yes, does it work? I'm asking
                        because this (excellent) software seems to use the IE infrastructure
                        too.