Re: [xenu-usergroup] using broadband

    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
      On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:38:51 -0700, wydeboi wrote:

      >Hi,
      >I recently got a broadband cable connection to the internet.
      >Xenu has stopped working. It reports url not found, even though
      >I had just manually checked the url and had emptied the cache of my
      >browser to make sure I downloaded the latest version of the site. Does
      >anyone know why this is happening?

      Can you access the URLs with IE ?
    • wydeboi
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
        Yes.

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
          In that case, it means that the server "hates" Xenu, and lies by
          returning a 404 (= not found) error.

          Tilman

          On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:00:43 -0700, wydeboi wrote:

          >Yes.
          >
          >Tilman Hausherr wrote:
          >
          >>On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:38:51 -0700, wydeboi wrote:
          >>

          >>>Hi,
          >>>I recently got a broadband cable connection to the internet.
          >>>Xenu has stopped working. It reports url not found, even though
          >>>I had just manually checked the url and had emptied the cache of my
          >>>browser to make sure I downloaded the latest version of the site. Does
          >>>anyone know why this is happening?
          >>>

          >>Can you access the URLs with IE ?
          >>

          >>Yahoo! Groups Links

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • wydeboi
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
            I quoted the incorrect error message, I just tried again and the error
            returned is file not found.

            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
              On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:15:47 -0700, wydeboi wrote:

              >I quoted the incorrect error message, I just tried again and the error
              >returned is file not found.

              Check your %temp% directory... delete all TGH*.* files. Make sure you
              have write rights and enough space on your disk.

              Tilman
            • wydeboi
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
                I just went through all the files on my server and can find no %temp% or
                any kind of temp directory or folder or file.

                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
                  On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:25:01 -0700, wydeboi wrote:

                  >I just went through all the files on my server and can find no %temp% or
                  >any kind of temp directory or folder or file.

                  Open the Windows Explorer. Then type '%', 't', 'e', 'm', 'p', '%' and
                  press ENTER. You'll have your temp directory.
                • wydeboi
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
                    I searched the entire c drive for a file or folder with %temp%
                    nothing found.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
                      On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:39:07 -0700, wydeboi wrote:

                      >I searched the entire c drive for a file or folder with %temp%
                      >nothing found.

                      %temp% is a placeholder. Don't search it, type it in the explorer. It
                      will expand to your actual temp directory. For example, my temp dir is

                      C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\XXXX\Lokale Einstellungen\Temp
                    • wydeboi
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
                        your explorer must be different from mine on xp, I have no place to type
                        in anything except in the search box. also, I just tried Xenu with
                        another site of mine different url and different server, same response,
                        file not found.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
                          On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:47:24 -0700, wydeboi wrote:

                          >your explorer must be different from mine on xp, I have no place to type
                          >in anything except in the search box. also, I just tried Xenu with
                          >another site of mine different url and different server, same response,
                          >file not found.

                          Then try this:

                          Click on START, RUN

                          type
                          cmd.exe

                          type
                          cd %temp%
                          del tgh*.*

                          Alternatively - did you install a (non microsoft) firewall recently? Try
                          disabling it (install all MS patches first) and run Xenu again.
                        • wydeboi
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
                            I have not installed a non-microsoft firewall, I do not use microsofts
                            firewall, I use zonealarm, for years and it has always worked with Xenu.
                            I'll try the command line.

                            Tilman Hausherr wrote:

                            >On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:47:24 -0700, wydeboi wrote:
                            >

                            >>your explorer must be different from mine on xp, I have no place to type
                            >>in anything except in the search box. also, I just tried Xenu with
                            >>another site of mine different url and different server, same response,
                            >>file not found.
                            >>

                            >Then try this:
                            >
                            >Click on START, RUN
                            >
                            >type
                            > cmd.exe
                            >
                            >type
                            > cd %temp%
                            > del tgh*.*
                            >

                            >Alternatively - did you install a (non microsoft) firewall recently? Try
                            >disabling it (install all MS patches first) and run Xenu again.
                            >

                            >Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • wydeboi
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
                              tried the command line, then ran Xenu, did not work, same error message,
                              file not found.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
                                On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:37:58 -0700, wydeboi wrote:

                                >tried the command line, then ran Xenu, did not work, same error message,
                                >file not found.

                                That's it :-( I have no more ideas (I assume you have the latest
                                version). If you find a way to let me access your PC through "remote
                                assistance" (your firewall may prevent this), e-mail me directly.

                                Tilman
                              • wydeboi
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
                                  I have version 1.2g, I'll look into remote access.
                                  Thanks for all your help.
                                  Jack

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
                                    well, I went to your site and read through everything about the download
                                    and use and lo and behold, Xenu will not work unless I have first
                                    launched IE and typed in a url. I never had to do this before, so I did
                                    that and Xenu is now spidering my site. Sorry for the trouble.
                                    Thanks again,
                                    Jack

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
                                      On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:55:59 -0700, wydeboi wrote:

                                      >well, I went to your site and read through everything about the download
                                      >and use and lo and behold, Xenu will not work unless I have first
                                      >launched IE and typed in a url. I never had to do this before, so I did
                                      >that and Xenu is now spidering my site. Sorry for the trouble.

                                      This suggests a setup problem with windows. Maybe you have two
                                      WININET.DLL files, or your DLL isn't in your path... or another
                                      important DLL isn't accessible...

                                      Xenu works for me and I almost never use IE :-)

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jul 28, 2005
                                        On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:55:59 -0700, wydeboi wrote:

                                        >well, I went to your site and read through everything about the download
                                        >and use and lo and behold, Xenu will not work unless I have first
                                        >launched IE and typed in a url. I never had to do this before, so I did
                                        >that and Xenu is now spidering my site. Sorry for the trouble.

                                        I had forgotten that I had mentioned it in the FAQ. I have now added
                                        something about your experience. If you ever find out that something
                                        solved the problem (i.e. that you don't have to start IE first), e-mail
                                        me how.

                                        Did you install any new software with your broadband account?

                                        Have you installed Google Earth, and if yes, does it work? I'm asking
                                        because this (excellent) software seems to use the IE infrastructure
                                        too.