using broadband

  • wydeboi
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
      I recently got a broadband cable connection to the internet.
      Xenu has stopped working. It reports url not found, even though
      I had just manually checked the url and had emptied the cache of my
      browser to make sure I downloaded the latest version of the site. Does
      anyone know why this is happening?
      Thanks,
      Jack
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
        On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:38:51 -0700, wydeboi wrote:

        >Hi,
        >I recently got a broadband cable connection to the internet.
        >Xenu has stopped working. It reports url not found, even though
        >I had just manually checked the url and had emptied the cache of my
        >browser to make sure I downloaded the latest version of the site. Does
        >anyone know why this is happening?

        Can you access the URLs with IE ?
      • wydeboi
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
          Yes.

          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
            In that case, it means that the server "hates" Xenu, and lies by
            returning a 404 (= not found) error.

            Tilman

            On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:00:43 -0700, wydeboi wrote:

            >Yes.
            >
            >Tilman Hausherr wrote:
            >
            >>On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:38:51 -0700, wydeboi wrote:
            >>

            >>>Hi,
            >>>I recently got a broadband cable connection to the internet.
            >>>Xenu has stopped working. It reports url not found, even though
            >>>I had just manually checked the url and had emptied the cache of my
            >>>browser to make sure I downloaded the latest version of the site. Does
            >>>anyone know why this is happening?
            >>>

            >>Can you access the URLs with IE ?
            >>

            >>Yahoo! Groups Links

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • wydeboi
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
              I quoted the incorrect error message, I just tried again and the error
              returned is file not found.

              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
                On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:15:47 -0700, wydeboi wrote:

                >I quoted the incorrect error message, I just tried again and the error
                >returned is file not found.

                Check your %temp% directory... delete all TGH*.* files. Make sure you
                have write rights and enough space on your disk.

                Tilman
              • wydeboi
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
                  I just went through all the files on my server and can find no %temp% or
                  any kind of temp directory or folder or file.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
                    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:25:01 -0700, wydeboi wrote:

                    >I just went through all the files on my server and can find no %temp% or
                    >any kind of temp directory or folder or file.

                    Open the Windows Explorer. Then type '%', 't', 'e', 'm', 'p', '%' and
                    press ENTER. You'll have your temp directory.
                  • wydeboi
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
                      I searched the entire c drive for a file or folder with %temp%
                      nothing found.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
                        On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:39:07 -0700, wydeboi wrote:

                        >I searched the entire c drive for a file or folder with %temp%
                        >nothing found.

                        %temp% is a placeholder. Don't search it, type it in the explorer. It
                        will expand to your actual temp directory. For example, my temp dir is

                        C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\XXXX\Lokale Einstellungen\Temp
                      • wydeboi
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
                          your explorer must be different from mine on xp, I have no place to type
                          in anything except in the search box. also, I just tried Xenu with
                          another site of mine different url and different server, same response,
                          file not found.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
                            On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:47:24 -0700, wydeboi wrote:

                            >your explorer must be different from mine on xp, I have no place to type
                            >in anything except in the search box. also, I just tried Xenu with
                            >another site of mine different url and different server, same response,
                            >file not found.

                            Then try this:

                            Click on START, RUN

                            type
                            cmd.exe

                            type
                            cd %temp%
                            del tgh*.*

                            Alternatively - did you install a (non microsoft) firewall recently? Try
                            disabling it (install all MS patches first) and run Xenu again.
                          • wydeboi
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
                              I have not installed a non-microsoft firewall, I do not use microsofts
                              firewall, I use zonealarm, for years and it has always worked with Xenu.
                              I'll try the command line.

                              Tilman Hausherr wrote:

                              >On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:47:24 -0700, wydeboi wrote:
                              >

                              >>your explorer must be different from mine on xp, I have no place to type
                              >>in anything except in the search box. also, I just tried Xenu with
                              >>another site of mine different url and different server, same response,
                              >>file not found.
                              >>

                              >Then try this:
                              >
                              >Click on START, RUN
                              >
                              >type
                              > cmd.exe
                              >
                              >type
                              > cd %temp%
                              > del tgh*.*
                              >

                              >Alternatively - did you install a (non microsoft) firewall recently? Try
                              >disabling it (install all MS patches first) and run Xenu again.
                              >

                              >Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • wydeboi
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
                                tried the command line, then ran Xenu, did not work, same error message,
                                file not found.

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
                                  On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:37:58 -0700, wydeboi wrote:

                                  >tried the command line, then ran Xenu, did not work, same error message,
                                  >file not found.

                                  That's it :-( I have no more ideas (I assume you have the latest
                                  version). If you find a way to let me access your PC through "remote
                                  assistance" (your firewall may prevent this), e-mail me directly.

                                  Tilman
                                • wydeboi
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
                                    I have version 1.2g, I'll look into remote access.
                                    Thanks for all your help.
                                    Jack

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
                                      well, I went to your site and read through everything about the download
                                      and use and lo and behold, Xenu will not work unless I have first
                                      launched IE and typed in a url. I never had to do this before, so I did
                                      that and Xenu is now spidering my site. Sorry for the trouble.
                                      Thanks again,
                                      Jack

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jul 27, 2005
                                        On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:55:59 -0700, wydeboi wrote:

                                        >well, I went to your site and read through everything about the download
                                        >and use and lo and behold, Xenu will not work unless I have first
                                        >launched IE and typed in a url. I never had to do this before, so I did
                                        >that and Xenu is now spidering my site. Sorry for the trouble.

                                        This suggests a setup problem with windows. Maybe you have two
                                        WININET.DLL files, or your DLL isn't in your path... or another
                                        important DLL isn't accessible...

                                        Xenu works for me and I almost never use IE :-)

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jul 28, 2005
                                          On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:55:59 -0700, wydeboi wrote:

                                          >well, I went to your site and read through everything about the download
                                          >and use and lo and behold, Xenu will not work unless I have first
                                          >launched IE and typed in a url. I never had to do this before, so I did
                                          >that and Xenu is now spidering my site. Sorry for the trouble.

                                          I had forgotten that I had mentioned it in the FAQ. I have now added
                                          something about your experience. If you ever find out that something
                                          solved the problem (i.e. that you don't have to start IE first), e-mail
                                          me how.

                                          Did you install any new software with your broadband account?

                                          Have you installed Google Earth, and if yes, does it work? I'm asking
                                          because this (excellent) software seems to use the IE infrastructure
                                          too.