Re: [xenu-usergroup] Non repeated URLs

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 17, 2005
      On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 08:30:55 -0300 (ART), Richard Ribeiro wrote:

      >Hi All,
      >
      > My boss asked me today one simple question that is
      >giving me a lot of trouble: "how many links do we have
      >in our website?" I said: "Easy! I can use Xenu to find
      >out this"... but now I'm not sure that it's possible.
      >Only to picture the situation, our URLs come from our
      >pages, but from databases too.
      > Tilman, it's possible to ask Xenu to give the
      >summary at the end of the report with only the non
      >repeated links? Because, sometimes I have the same
      >broken link in several pages and this is counted in
      >the report (or not?).

      Don't know what you mean with "non repeated links". But at the end of
      the report, it brings "statistics for managers". Lots of useless numbers
      that your boss will love for sure :-)

      If you want to exclude the DB urls - exclude them in the initial
      dialogbox.

      Tilman
    • Richard D. Ribeiro
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 20, 2005
        Hi All,

        Thanks Frank and Tilman for your reply.

        > Don't know what you mean with "non repeated links". But at the end of
        > the report, it brings "statistics for managers". Lots of useless numbers
        > that your boss will love for sure :-)

        +++ My boss loved the statistics. In our annual report they'll give a
        nice impression. Thanks for giving the tip.

        > If you want to exclude the DB urls - exclude them in the initial
        > dialogbox.

        +++ Ok. I'll try this too.

        +++ I'll try to explain better my question. I'd like to know if when
        Xenu finds the same broken link in different pages, it counts more
        than once (broken links in the statistics). This can happen in our
        website when I include one link in all pages through the site and this
        link stop working, so will Xenu counts (pages x 1 broken link =
        ammount of broken links) or will it count just one broken link?.
        I know that the correct approach should be reporting all the pages
        with problems (and broken links), but I would like to know if I can
        get the ammount of non repetead broken links using Xenu (in my
        previous example it will be the unique broken link).
        It's just a curiosity. Frank gave me a nice solution for the problem.

        Thanks,
        Richard
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 20, 2005
          hi richard,

          xenu gives both statistics:

          1. number of unique broken links is given in the statistics section,
          for example:

          not found 29 URLs 1.35%

          2. the total number of broken links (so broken links x number of
          pages they exist on) can be found at the bottom of the link report,
          when you generate a web report. for example:

          75 broken link(s) reported

          frank

          --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "Richard D. Ribeiro"

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 20, 2005
            On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:21:05 -0000, Richard D. Ribeiro wrote:

            >+++ I'll try to explain better my question. I'd like to know if when
            >Xenu finds the same broken link in different pages, it counts more
            >than once (broken links in the statistics). This can happen in our
            >website when I include one link in all pages through the site and this
            >link stop working, so will Xenu counts (pages x 1 broken link =
            >ammount of broken links) or will it count just one broken link?.

            It is always one broken link, even if several pages link to it.

            > I know that the correct approach should be reporting all the pages
            >with problems (and broken links), but I would like to know if I can
            >get the ammount of non repetead broken links using Xenu (in my
            >previous example it will be the unique broken link).

            While Xenu doesn't give what you want, you can still "see" in the first
            section of the report the pages that are linked a lot. Example from the
            report I just posted:

            http:///
            error code: 87 (parameter incorrect), linked from page(s):
            http://net-promoter.com/robots-txt/spider_list.html
            http://net-promoter.com/robots-txt/spider_list_by_language.html
            http://net-promoter.com/ru/robots-txt/spider_list_by_language.htm
            http://net-promoter.com/ru/robots-txt/spider_list.htm