Re: Problem searching links in blog.

  • ergobob
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 12, 2005
      --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@s...>
      wrote:
      > On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 17:39:26 -0000, ergobob wrote:
      >
      > >--- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr
      <tilman@s...>
      > >wrote:

      > >them
      > >>
      > >> I just did a test with
      > >> http://www.usernomics.com/news/user-interface-design-news.html
      as
      > >root
      > >> URL, without the external links. I did not get a single error.

      Not

      > >> What do you mean "it seems difficult to find the article with
      the
      > >Not
      > >> Found error"?
      > >>
      > >> Tilman
      > >
      > >Hi Tilman,
      > >
      > >I am not sure why you checked without the external links.
      >
      > Because you said "the blog alone (not the main site)".
      >
      > >I am
      > >trying to check all of the external links from the blog to the
      > >original sources. My objective is to have no bad links going out
      > >other sites. Am I missing the point here?
      >
      > A blog is always with broken links. IMO, it doesn't really make
      sense to
      > correct them. You just can't win. Blogs often link to newspaper
      > articles, which "rot" after some time.
      >
      > >The difficulty is that when there is an error, I don't get enough
      > >information to identify the relevant article. When I look at the
      > >report ordered by page, it is all from the same page (the blog).
      So
      > >if I want to repair a link, I am having a hard time finding the
      > >article in the blog that contains the link.
      >
      > Because you have several articles on the same page?
      >
      > Usually blogs have also pages for each articles... try to see
      whether
      > several URLs link to the broken link.
      >
      > Now about the broken links that aren't - this is an old problem
      with
      > some servers who "hate" Xenu.
      >
      > Tilman
      >
      > >Because the blog is hosted by blogger.com, I don't have access to
      > >all the articles on one page for editing. So I need to go to the
      > >single article with the problem rather than searching for the URL
      in
      > >an editor program like HTMLkit.

      Hello Again Tilman,

      Thanks for the info. Yes, many of the broken links on the blog go to
      yahoo news and newspapers. Also, there are duplications because of
      the permalinks. And, there are several articles on one page. So you
      are right on all counts. Xenu has been working fine on the outgoing
      links for my main web pages so I don't think there is too much of a
      server problem.

      Let me ask a more general questions then. I was interested in fixing
      these broken links - even with a re-linking to a page that
      said "Sorry, that article is no longer available." But my objective
      was to satisfy the search engines in terms of Optimizing the pages.
      My interest is in getting the highest SERPS that I can. I gather
      that you are not concerned about the odd broken links like these. Do
      you think that they hurt in the search engine rankings?

      Thanks Again,

      Bob
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 12, 2005
        On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 19:11:15 -0000, ergobob wrote:

        >Let me ask a more general questions then. I was interested in fixing
        >these broken links - even with a re-linking to a page that
        >said "Sorry, that article is no longer available." But my objective
        >was to satisfy the search engines in terms of Optimizing the pages.
        >My interest is in getting the highest SERPS that I can. I gather
        >that you are not concerned about the odd broken links like these. Do
        >you think that they hurt in the search engine rankings?

        I don't know if broken links hurt your PageRank. However, if I were a
        search engine, I would prefer pages that are updated often, and that
        link to existing pages :-)