Re: [xenu-usergroup] Re: Problem searching links in blog.

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 12, 2005
      On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 17:39:26 -0000, ergobob wrote:

      >--- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@s...>
      >wrote:
      >> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 15:07:10 -0000, ergobob wrote:
      >>
      >> >Hello,
      >> >
      >> >I have been using Xenu on my site for some time. I recently added
      >> >news blog consisting of several links to original sources at:
      >> >http://www.usernomics.com/news/user-interface-design-news.html .
      >> >
      >> >When I run Xenu on the blog alone (not the main site), it returns
      >> >lot of Not Found's. But when I click on the links, almost all of
      >them
      >> >seem OK.
      >>
      >> I just did a test with
      >> http://www.usernomics.com/news/user-interface-design-news.html as
      >root
      >> URL, without the external links. I did not get a single error.
      >>
      >> >In addition, it seems difficult to find the article with the Not
      >> >Found
      >> >error.
      >>
      >> What do you mean "it seems difficult to find the article with the
      >Not
      >> Found error"?
      >>
      >> Tilman
      >
      >Hi Tilman,
      >
      >I am not sure why you checked without the external links.

      Because you said "the blog alone (not the main site)".

      >I am
      >trying to check all of the external links from the blog to the
      >original sources. My objective is to have no bad links going out to
      >other sites. Am I missing the point here?

      A blog is always with broken links. IMO, it doesn't really make sense to
      correct them. You just can't win. Blogs often link to newspaper
      articles, which "rot" after some time.

      >The difficulty is that when there is an error, I don't get enough
      >information to identify the relevant article. When I look at the
      >report ordered by page, it is all from the same page (the blog). So
      >if I want to repair a link, I am having a hard time finding the
      >article in the blog that contains the link.

      Because you have several articles on the same page?

      Usually blogs have also pages for each articles... try to see whether
      several URLs link to the broken link.

      Now about the broken links that aren't - this is an old problem with
      some servers who "hate" Xenu.

      Tilman

      >Because the blog is hosted by blogger.com, I don't have access to
      >all the articles on one page for editing. So I need to go to the
      >single article with the problem rather than searching for the URL in
      >an editor program like HTMLkit.
      >
      >Thanks a lot,
      >
      >Bob
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • ergobob
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 12, 2005
        wrote:
        > On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 17:39:26 -0000, ergobob wrote:
        >
        > >--- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr
        <tilman@s...>
        > >wrote:

        > >them
        > >>
        > >> I just did a test with
        > >> http://www.usernomics.com/news/user-interface-design-news.html
        as
        > >root
        > >> URL, without the external links. I did not get a single error.

        Not

        > >> What do you mean "it seems difficult to find the article with
        the
        > >Not
        > >> Found error"?
        > >>
        > >> Tilman
        > >
        > >Hi Tilman,
        > >
        > >I am not sure why you checked without the external links.
        >
        > Because you said "the blog alone (not the main site)".
        >
        > >I am
        > >trying to check all of the external links from the blog to the
        > >original sources. My objective is to have no bad links going out
        > >other sites. Am I missing the point here?
        >
        > A blog is always with broken links. IMO, it doesn't really make
        sense to
        > correct them. You just can't win. Blogs often link to newspaper
        > articles, which "rot" after some time.
        >
        > >The difficulty is that when there is an error, I don't get enough
        > >information to identify the relevant article. When I look at the
        > >report ordered by page, it is all from the same page (the blog).
        So
        > >if I want to repair a link, I am having a hard time finding the
        > >article in the blog that contains the link.
        >
        > Because you have several articles on the same page?
        >
        > Usually blogs have also pages for each articles... try to see
        whether
        > several URLs link to the broken link.
        >
        > Now about the broken links that aren't - this is an old problem
        with
        > some servers who "hate" Xenu.
        >
        > Tilman
        >
        > >Because the blog is hosted by blogger.com, I don't have access to
        > >all the articles on one page for editing. So I need to go to the
        > >single article with the problem rather than searching for the URL
        in
        > >an editor program like HTMLkit.

        Hello Again Tilman,

        Thanks for the info. Yes, many of the broken links on the blog go to
        yahoo news and newspapers. Also, there are duplications because of
        the permalinks. And, there are several articles on one page. So you
        are right on all counts. Xenu has been working fine on the outgoing
        links for my main web pages so I don't think there is too much of a
        server problem.

        Let me ask a more general questions then. I was interested in fixing
        these broken links - even with a re-linking to a page that
        said "Sorry, that article is no longer available." But my objective
        was to satisfy the search engines in terms of Optimizing the pages.
        My interest is in getting the highest SERPS that I can. I gather
        that you are not concerned about the odd broken links like these. Do
        you think that they hurt in the search engine rankings?

        Thanks Again,

        Bob
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 12, 2005
          On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 19:11:15 -0000, ergobob wrote:

          >Let me ask a more general questions then. I was interested in fixing
          >these broken links - even with a re-linking to a page that
          >said "Sorry, that article is no longer available." But my objective
          >was to satisfy the search engines in terms of Optimizing the pages.
          >My interest is in getting the highest SERPS that I can. I gather
          >that you are not concerned about the odd broken links like these. Do
          >you think that they hurt in the search engine rankings?

          I don't know if broken links hurt your PageRank. However, if I were a
          search engine, I would prefer pages that are updated often, and that
          link to existing pages :-)