Problem searching links in blog.

  • ergobob
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 12, 2005
      Hello,

      I have been using Xenu on my site for some time. I recently added a
      news blog consisting of several links to original sources at:
      http://www.usernomics.com/news/user-interface-design-news.html .

      When I run Xenu on the blog alone (not the main site), it returns a
      lot of Not Found's. But when I click on the links, almost all of them
      seem OK.

      In addition, it seems difficult to find the article with the Not
      Found
      error.

      Am I doing something wrong?

      Thanks a lot,

      Bob
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 12, 2005
        On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 15:07:10 -0000, ergobob wrote:

        >Hello,
        >
        >I have been using Xenu on my site for some time. I recently added a
        >news blog consisting of several links to original sources at:
        >http://www.usernomics.com/news/user-interface-design-news.html .
        >
        >When I run Xenu on the blog alone (not the main site), it returns a
        >lot of Not Found's. But when I click on the links, almost all of them
        >seem OK.

        I just did a test with
        http://www.usernomics.com/news/user-interface-design-news.html as root
        URL, without the external links. I did not get a single error.

        >In addition, it seems difficult to find the article with the Not
        >Found
        >error.

        What do you mean "it seems difficult to find the article with the Not
        Found error"?

        Tilman
      • ergobob
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 12, 2005
          --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@s...>
          wrote:
          > On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 15:07:10 -0000, ergobob wrote:
          >
          > >Hello,
          > >
          > >I have been using Xenu on my site for some time. I recently added
          > >news blog consisting of several links to original sources at:
          > >http://www.usernomics.com/news/user-interface-design-news.html .
          > >
          > >When I run Xenu on the blog alone (not the main site), it returns
          > >lot of Not Found's. But when I click on the links, almost all of
          them
          > >seem OK.
          >
          > I just did a test with
          > http://www.usernomics.com/news/user-interface-design-news.html as
          root
          > URL, without the external links. I did not get a single error.
          >
          > >In addition, it seems difficult to find the article with the Not
          > >Found
          > >error.
          >
          > What do you mean "it seems difficult to find the article with the
          Not
          > Found error"?
          >
          > Tilman

          Hi Tilman,

          I am not sure why you checked without the external links. I am
          trying to check all of the external links from the blog to the
          original sources. My objective is to have no bad links going out to
          other sites. Am I missing the point here?

          The difficulty is that when there is an error, I don't get enough
          information to identify the relevant article. When I look at the
          report ordered by page, it is all from the same page (the blog). So
          if I want to repair a link, I am having a hard time finding the
          article in the blog that contains the link.

          Because the blog is hosted by blogger.com, I don't have access to
          all the articles on one page for editing. So I need to go to the
          single article with the problem rather than searching for the URL in
          an editor program like HTMLkit.

          Thanks a lot,

          Bob
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 12, 2005
            On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 17:39:26 -0000, ergobob wrote:

            >--- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@s...>
            >wrote:
            >> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 15:07:10 -0000, ergobob wrote:
            >>
            >> >Hello,
            >> >
            >> >I have been using Xenu on my site for some time. I recently added
            >> >news blog consisting of several links to original sources at:
            >> >http://www.usernomics.com/news/user-interface-design-news.html .
            >> >
            >> >When I run Xenu on the blog alone (not the main site), it returns
            >> >lot of Not Found's. But when I click on the links, almost all of
            >them
            >> >seem OK.
            >>
            >> I just did a test with
            >> http://www.usernomics.com/news/user-interface-design-news.html as
            >root
            >> URL, without the external links. I did not get a single error.
            >>
            >> >In addition, it seems difficult to find the article with the Not
            >> >Found
            >> >error.
            >>
            >> What do you mean "it seems difficult to find the article with the
            >Not
            >> Found error"?
            >>
            >> Tilman
            >
            >Hi Tilman,
            >
            >I am not sure why you checked without the external links.

            Because you said "the blog alone (not the main site)".

            >I am
            >trying to check all of the external links from the blog to the
            >original sources. My objective is to have no bad links going out to
            >other sites. Am I missing the point here?

            A blog is always with broken links. IMO, it doesn't really make sense to
            correct them. You just can't win. Blogs often link to newspaper
            articles, which "rot" after some time.

            >The difficulty is that when there is an error, I don't get enough
            >information to identify the relevant article. When I look at the
            >report ordered by page, it is all from the same page (the blog). So
            >if I want to repair a link, I am having a hard time finding the
            >article in the blog that contains the link.

            Because you have several articles on the same page?

            Usually blogs have also pages for each articles... try to see whether
            several URLs link to the broken link.

            Now about the broken links that aren't - this is an old problem with
            some servers who "hate" Xenu.

            Tilman

            >Because the blog is hosted by blogger.com, I don't have access to
            >all the articles on one page for editing. So I need to go to the
            >single article with the problem rather than searching for the URL in
            >an editor program like HTMLkit.
            >
            >Thanks a lot,
            >
            >Bob
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • ergobob
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 12, 2005
              wrote:
              > On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 17:39:26 -0000, ergobob wrote:
              >
              > >--- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr
              <tilman@s...>
              > >wrote:

              > >them
              > >>
              > >> I just did a test with
              > >> http://www.usernomics.com/news/user-interface-design-news.html
              as
              > >root
              > >> URL, without the external links. I did not get a single error.

              Not

              > >> What do you mean "it seems difficult to find the article with
              the
              > >Not
              > >> Found error"?
              > >>
              > >> Tilman
              > >
              > >Hi Tilman,
              > >
              > >I am not sure why you checked without the external links.
              >
              > Because you said "the blog alone (not the main site)".
              >
              > >I am
              > >trying to check all of the external links from the blog to the
              > >original sources. My objective is to have no bad links going out
              > >other sites. Am I missing the point here?
              >
              > A blog is always with broken links. IMO, it doesn't really make
              sense to
              > correct them. You just can't win. Blogs often link to newspaper
              > articles, which "rot" after some time.
              >
              > >The difficulty is that when there is an error, I don't get enough
              > >information to identify the relevant article. When I look at the
              > >report ordered by page, it is all from the same page (the blog).
              So
              > >if I want to repair a link, I am having a hard time finding the
              > >article in the blog that contains the link.
              >
              > Because you have several articles on the same page?
              >
              > Usually blogs have also pages for each articles... try to see
              whether
              > several URLs link to the broken link.
              >
              > Now about the broken links that aren't - this is an old problem
              with
              > some servers who "hate" Xenu.
              >
              > Tilman
              >
              > >Because the blog is hosted by blogger.com, I don't have access to
              > >all the articles on one page for editing. So I need to go to the
              > >single article with the problem rather than searching for the URL
              in
              > >an editor program like HTMLkit.

              Hello Again Tilman,

              Thanks for the info. Yes, many of the broken links on the blog go to
              yahoo news and newspapers. Also, there are duplications because of
              the permalinks. And, there are several articles on one page. So you
              are right on all counts. Xenu has been working fine on the outgoing
              links for my main web pages so I don't think there is too much of a
              server problem.

              Let me ask a more general questions then. I was interested in fixing
              these broken links - even with a re-linking to a page that
              said "Sorry, that article is no longer available." But my objective
              was to satisfy the search engines in terms of Optimizing the pages.
              My interest is in getting the highest SERPS that I can. I gather
              that you are not concerned about the odd broken links like these. Do
              you think that they hurt in the search engine rankings?

              Thanks Again,

              Bob
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 12, 2005
                On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 19:11:15 -0000, ergobob wrote:

                >Let me ask a more general questions then. I was interested in fixing
                >these broken links - even with a re-linking to a page that
                >said "Sorry, that article is no longer available." But my objective
                >was to satisfy the search engines in terms of Optimizing the pages.
                >My interest is in getting the highest SERPS that I can. I gather
                >that you are not concerned about the odd broken links like these. Do
                >you think that they hurt in the search engine rankings?

                I don't know if broken links hurt your PageRank. However, if I were a
                search engine, I would prefer pages that are updated often, and that
                link to existing pages :-)