what are these errors I keep getting?

  • mushu999mushu
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 15, 2005
      Here is a sample of three VERY common errors I always get. Can someone
      tell me how to interpret them please? I am using the 1.2g version. The
      mailto link actually works just fine....?

      http://some.host.com/SubDir/DubSir/default.htm
      mailto:someaddr@...?subject=Inquiry re: Spanish
      \_____ error code: 404 (not found)

      Error 12003 while moving to remote ftp directory '/sub/dir/': 550
      /sub/dir: The system cannot find the file specified.

      Error 18 while searching in remote ftp directory '/new/Sub/Search/'

      The bad link list contains close to 100 of these every time I run it
      and have it do an orphan check. However, before you say "well, your
      login does not have access rights to those directories", the program
      then DOES go into those directories and gives valid lists of orphan
      files. My login has sufficient rights to the directories also.

      Help?!?
    • mushu999mushu

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 15, 2005
          On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:18:20 -0000, mushu999mushu wrote:

          >Here is a sample of three VERY common errors I always get. Can someone
          >tell me how to interpret them please? I am using the 1.2g version. The
          >mailto link actually works just fine....?
          >
          >http://some.host.com/SubDir/DubSir/default.htm
          > mailto:someaddr@...?subject=Inquiry re: Spanish
          > \_____ error code: 404 (not found)

          This is a bug in WININET.DLL. Just don't bother. It makes trouble with
          some mailto's.
        • mushu999mushu
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 18, 2005
            Then is there a way in software that you might work around the bug in
            the DLL perhaps? What is the exsact bug...perhaps I can change my
            mailto links in some fashion in order to avoid triggering this error.
            Or else, why have checking the mailto: links an option at all if it
            isn't going to work properly?

            --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@s...>

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 18, 2005
              On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:16:29 -0000, mushu999mushu wrote:

              >Then is there a way in software that you might work around the bug in
              >the DLL perhaps? What is the exsact bug...perhaps I can change my
              >mailto links in some fashion in order to avoid triggering this error.
              > Or else, why have checking the mailto: links an option at all if it
              >isn't going to work properly?

              It's a bug in parsing an URL, so see what type it is... I believe it is
              related to spaces, "?" or ":".

              Tilman

              >--- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@s...>
              >wrote:
              >> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:18:20 -0000, mushu999mushu wrote:
              >>

              >> >Here is a sample of three VERY common errors I always get. Can someone
              >> >tell me how to interpret them please? I am using the 1.2g version. The
              >> >mailto link actually works just fine....?
              >> >
              >> >http://some.host.com/SubDir/DubSir/default.htm
              >> > mailto:someaddr@s...?subject=Inquiry re: Spanish
              >> > \_____ error code: 404 (not found)
              >>
              >> This is a bug in WININET.DLL. Just don't bother. It makes trouble with
              >> some mailto's.
              >

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Clive Sabey [CS]
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 19, 2005
                Have a look at http://seclists.org/lists/fulldisclosure/2005/Apr/0344.html

                Tilman Hausherr wrote:

                > On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:16:29 -0000, mushu999mushu wrote:
                >
                > >Then is there a way in software that you might work around the bug in
                > >the DLL perhaps? What is the exsact bug...perhaps I can change my
                > >mailto links in some fashion in order to avoid triggering this error.
                > > Or else, why have checking the mailto: links an option at all if it
                > >isn't going to work properly?
                >
                > It's a bug in parsing an URL, so see what type it is... I believe it is
                > related to spaces, "?" or ":".
                >
                > Tilman
                >

                > >--- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@s...>
                > >wrote:

                > >> This is a bug in WININET.DLL. Just don't bother. It makes trouble with
                > >> some mailto's.

              • mushu999mushu
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 21, 2005
                  I read the article. What does that have to do with the mailto: link
                  that keeps getting flagged as a bad link??

                  --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "Clive Sabey [CS]" <stfcs@l...>