real time monitoring alert giving tool Is it possible?

  • gill_olivier
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 13 5:48 AM
      Hi there,

      I have about 80 sites to check.

      I have all the sites listed in a file and am running the Check URL
      list feature. This is great and giving nice results.

      What I would like to implement now is a more automated way of doing this.

      Thus here goes my question. Is there a way for Xenu to run through
      these 80 sites, send me a report via email, then once finished restart
      the checking process automatically.

      I'm trying to achieve a real time monitoring alert giving tool of sorts.

      Thanks for your help. This tool is outstanding. Thanks so much for all
      your efforts.
    • Rick Beton
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 21 1:06 PM
        gill_olivier wrote:

        >...Is there a way for Xenu to run through
        >these 80 sites, send me a report via email, then once finished restart
        >the checking process automatically.

        I think it would be easy but for one thing: there aren't any published
        command line options for Xenu. Without them, it's difficult to write a
        batch file or similar to do what you want.

        I got round this by writing my own Java program similar to Xenu (I
        called it Jxenu affectionately!). Jxenu has a command-line approach and
        doesn't have a nice GUI. Also it's not yet something that's good enough
        for anyone else to use I'm afraid, unlike Xenu. (Possibly it could be
        made so and possibly it could be a new open source project if I had the
        time to do it and there was enough interest to make it worth the effort.)

        One day soon perhaps, the Future Feature List item on the website
        (command line parameters,
        http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html#Future) might one day rise to
        the top of Tilman's to-do list. :-)

        Rick
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 22 9:57 AM
          On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 21:06:09 +0100, Rick Beton wrote:

          >gill_olivier wrote:
          >
          >>...Is there a way for Xenu to run through
          >>these 80 sites, send me a report via email, then once finished restart
          >>the checking process automatically.
          >
          >I think it would be easy but for one thing: there aren't any published
          >command line options for Xenu. Without them, it's difficult to write a
          >batch file or similar to do what you want.

          There is a command line feature for commercial users, but it doesn't
          work for this list checking.

          >I got round this by writing my own Java program similar to Xenu (I
          >called it Jxenu affectionately!). Jxenu has a command-line approach and

          heh heh:)

          Tilman

          >doesn't have a nice GUI. Also it's not yet something that's good enough
          >for anyone else to use I'm afraid, unlike Xenu. (Possibly it could be
          >made so and possibly it could be a new open source project if I had the
          >time to do it and there was enough interest to make it worth the effort.)
          >
          >One day soon perhaps, the Future Feature List item on the website
          >(command line parameters,
          >http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html#Future) might one day rise to
          >the top of Tilman's to-do list. :-)
          >
          >Rick
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Frank Visser
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 22 1:03 PM
            > batch file or similar to do what you want.

            A way to automate Xenu -- either with command switches or a scripting
            interface -- would be quite amazing and much appreciated!
          • clickingsound
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 28 1:52 PM
              --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@s...>
              wrote:
              > There is a command line feature for commercial users

              How can I get this version?

              thanks!
              Message 6 of 6 , May 1, 2005
                On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 20:52:58 -0000, clickingsound wrote:

                >--- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@s...>
                >wrote:
                >> There is a command line feature for commercial users
                >
                >How can I get this version?

                Try it first, and contact me privately... this version

                will work till the end of may.

                Syntax:

                xenu -url http://www.hp.com -report blah.html

                or

                xenu -url http://www.hp.com -export export.tab

                it will use the "include" / "exclude" / mail settings that it had for
                the last manual run of http://www.hp.com . It's that simple :-)

                Note: Xenu will still open a window as usual, but it will close when
                done.