Re: [xenu-usergroup] External links

  • barrie@clock-museum.co.uk
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2004
      On 1 Aug 2004 at 10:04, Tilman Hausherr wrote:

      > Try set a lower amount of threads, and retry with CTRL-R.
      >
      > Tilman
      =============

      Tilman, Andi and Frank,

      Thank you for those quick and helpful replies.

      I have dropped the number of threads to 12 and that certainly reduces
      the number of sites reported as "no such Host" though I still get
      quite a few.

      I will try again at some unearthly hour when the net might be less
      busy, but anyway I can live with the problem!

      Frank, thanks for your detailed report. I don't know why one url did
      not work for you, it does for me <grin> In any case, thanks because
      in checking it I saw my logo was incorrect on that page!

      I think the bloke I was linked to must have dropped Metals galore or
      moved without telling me. I have deleted that link.

      Up to now I have not been checking my site regularly, only when I
      update my own site. Perhaps I should check more often. It is easier
      now that I have a faster connection.

      Thanks again,

      Barrie Smith (in sunny Kent UK)

      Visit my Virtual Clock Museum at http://www.clock-museum.co.uk/
    • Jeff Malka
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2005
        Hi everyone

        I just discovered Xenu and am very impressed with its speed. I however have
        three questions:

        1. I am still confused about the use of the "External Links" choice (despite
        reading the documentation) and hope someone more knowledgeable would give
        this novice some guidance.

        I of course have many links on my pages to websites that are not part of my
        own domain or website. And, I of course want these checked for broken
        links. However, the report that xenu produces lists broken links on these
        other websites on which I have no control.

        I would like to have a report that shows all the broken links on my pages -
        including broken links to external websites - but that does not include
        broken links on these other (not mine) websites. I am concerned that if I do
        not select the "External Links" box, Xenu will only check for broken links
        within my own WebPages and not for those going out to other sites? I am
        probably wrong but would like some advice from the more experienced users.

        2.Some of the webpages (maybe all?) in the report seem to be reported twice
        in the report. Why is that?

        3. Is there a way for the reports to show line numbers too?

        Great utility. Thanks.

        Jeff Malka
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2, 2005
          On Sun, 1 May 2005 23:47:27 -0400, Jeff Malka wrote:

          >Hi everyone
          >
          >I just discovered Xenu and am very impressed with its speed. I however have
          >three questions:
          >
          >1. I am still confused about the use of the "External Links" choice (despite
          >reading the documentation) and hope someone more knowledgeable would give
          >this novice some guidance.
          >
          >I of course have many links on my pages to websites that are not part of my
          >own domain or website. And, I of course want these checked for broken
          >links. However, the report that xenu produces lists broken links on these
          >other websites on which I have no control.

          I suspect these are redirections. You have an external link, that
          immediately redirects to another external link, that is broken.

          >I would like to have a report that shows all the broken links on my pages -
          >including broken links to external websites - but that does not include
          >broken links on these other (not mine) websites. I am concerned that if I do
          >not select the "External Links" box, Xenu will only check for broken links
          >within my own WebPages and not for those going out to other sites? I am
          >probably wrong but would like some advice from the more experienced users.
          >
          >2.Some of the webpages (maybe all?) in the report seem to be reported twice
          >in the report. Why is that?

          Case sensitivity

          >3. Is there a way for the reports to show line numbers too?

          No

          Tilman

          >Great utility. Thanks.
          >
          >Jeff Malka

        • Jeff Malka
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2005
            Thank you. Excellent program. Would be nice if the line numbers could be
            added in a later version.

            Thanks for replying.

            Jeff Malka

            Tilman Hausherr wrote:
            > On Sun, 1 May 2005 23:47:27 -0400, Jeff Malka wrote:
            >
            >> Hi everyone
            >>
            >> I just discovered Xenu and am very impressed with its speed. I
            >> however have three questions:
            >>
            >> 1. I am still confused about the use of the "External Links" choice
            >> (despite reading the documentation) and hope someone more
            >> knowledgeable would give this novice some guidance.
            >>
            >> I of course have many links on my pages to websites that are not
            >> part of my own domain or website. And, I of course want these
            >> checked for broken links. However, the report that xenu produces
            >> lists broken links on these other websites on which I have no
            >> control.
            >
            > I suspect these are redirections. You have an external link, that
            > immediately redirects to another external link, that is broken.
            >

            >> I would like to have a report that shows all the broken links on my
            >> pages - including broken links to external websites - but that does
            >> not include broken links on these other (not mine) websites. I am
            >> concerned that if I do not select the "External Links" box, Xenu
            >> will only check for broken links within my own WebPages and not for
            >> those going out to other sites? I am probably wrong but would like
            >> some advice from the more experienced users.
            >>
            >> 2.Some of the webpages (maybe all?) in the report seem to be
            >> reported twice in the report. Why is that?
            >
            > Case sensitivity
            >
            >> 3. Is there a way for the reports to show line numbers too?
            >
            > No
            >
            > Tilman
            >

            >> Great utility. Thanks.
            >>
            >> Jeff Malka
            >>

            >> Yahoo! Groups Links
            >>

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Frank Visser
            Message 5 of 12 , May 2, 2005
              Hi jeff,

              What i do is save the web report as text file, open that in Excel, and you
              have your line numbers.

              Frank

              Frank Visser, Waterpoortweg 279, 1051 pv, Amsterdam

              Author of: Ken Wilber: Thought as Passion SUNY 2003

              Read all about Ken Wilber : http:// <http://www.integralworld.net>
              www.integralworld.net

              _____

              Tilman Hausherr wrote:
              > On Sun, 1 May 2005 23:47:27 -0400, Jeff Malka wrote:
              >
              >> Hi everyone
              >>
              >> I just discovered Xenu and am very impressed with its speed. I
              >> however have three questions:
              >>
              >> 1. I am still confused about the use of the "External Links" choice
              >> (despite reading the documentation) and hope someone more
              >> knowledgeable would give this novice some guidance.
              >>
              >> I of course have many links on my pages to websites that are not
              >> part of my own domain or website. And, I of course want these
              >> checked for broken links. However, the report that xenu produces
              >> lists broken links on these other websites on which I have no
              >> control.
              >
              > I suspect these are redirections. You have an external link, that
              > immediately redirects to another external link, that is broken.
              >

              >> I would like to have a report that shows all the broken links on my
              >> pages - including broken links to external websites - but that does
              >> not include broken links on these other (not mine) websites. I am
              >> concerned that if I do not select the "External Links" box, Xenu
              >> will only check for broken links within my own WebPages and not for
              >> those going out to other sites? I am probably wrong but would like
              >> some advice from the more experienced users.
              >>
              >> 2.Some of the webpages (maybe all?) in the report seem to be
              >> reported twice in the report. Why is that?
              >
              > Case sensitivity
              >
              >> 3. Is there a way for the reports to show line numbers too?
              >
              > No
              >
              > Tilman
              >

              >> Great utility. Thanks.
              >>
              >> Jeff Malka
              >>

              >> Yahoo! Groups Links
              >>

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> of Service.

            • Jeff Malka
              Message 6 of 12 , May 3, 2005
                I realize I used the wrong terminology. I should have used the phrase
                "target line". I mean the line numbers on the page where the error exists.
                For instance in Linkscan, the report would say:

                Document: (my webpage) name.htm webpage title
                Target: Line 00299 Error: 404 Not Found url of broken link title of
                broken link
                Target: Line 00319 Error: 404 Not Found url of broken link title of
                broken link
                Target: Line 00273 Error: 911 Unsafe Character url of broken link title
                of broken link
                etc.

                Not essential by any means, but it can help in locating the broken link or
                error on the webpage

                Jeff Malka

                Message 7 of 12 , May 4, 2005
                  On Tue, 3 May 2005 08:38:55 -0400, Jeff Malka wrote:

                  >I realize I used the wrong terminology. I should have used the phrase
                  >"target line". I mean the line numbers on the page where the error exists.
                  >For instance in Linkscan, the report would say:
                  >
                  >Document: (my webpage) name.htm webpage title
                  > Target: Line 00299 Error: 404 Not Found url of broken link title of
                  >broken link
                  > Target: Line 00319 Error: 404 Not Found url of broken link title of
                  >broken link
                  > Target: Line 00273 Error: 911 Unsafe Character url of broken link title
                  >of broken link
                  >etc.
                  >
                  >Not essential by any means, but it can help in locating the broken link or
                  >error on the webpage

                  Not available. Typing in a line number, or a broken url end, is kindof
                  the same...

                  Tilman