Re: [xenu-usergroup] Checking local files

  • Clive Sabey [CS]
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 24, 2005
      The original problem was generated using the 'Local file ' button.
      A sample of the 'Report'

      Xenu's broken link report

      Created on March 24, 2005 at 08:53:37

      Root URL: file://///lcc-svr-01/STFCS$/My%20L2L/Upload/index.html
      <cid:part1.06030508.08010505@...>

      Table of contents

      * Broken links, ordered by link <#bylink>
      * Broken links, ordered by page <#bypage>
      * List of redirected URLs <#redir>
      * List of ftp and gopher URLs <#ftpgopher>
      * List of valid URLs you can submit to a search engine <#valid>
      * Site Map of HTML pages with a Title <#sitemap>
      * Broken page-local links <#targets>
      * Orphan files <#orphans>
      * Statistics for managers <#stats>

      Broken links, ordered by link:

      file://///lcc-svr-01/STFCS$/My%20L2L/Upload/index.html <cid:part1.06030508.08010505@...>
      error code: 2 (file not found), linked from page(s):

      0 broken link(s) reported

      The path "file://///lcc-svr-01/STFCS$/My%20L2L/Upload/index.html <cid:part1.06030508.08010505@...>"
      works Ok in IE.

      Can anybody else reproduce the problem?
      Clive

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 24, 2005
        hi clive,

        i can check local links with the Local File button all right, but my
        start URL appears as this in the link report:

        file:///G:/FTAF-START.HTM

        so it starts with a drive: after file:///

        frank

        --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "Clive Sabey [CS]"
        <stfcs@l...> wrote:

        > The original problem was generated using the 'Local file ' button.
        > A sample of the 'Report'
        >

        > Xenu's broken link report
        >
        > Created on March 24, 2005 at 08:53:37
        >

        > Root URL: file://///lcc-svr-01/STFCS$/My%20L2L/Upload/index.html
        > <cid:part1.06030508.08010505@l...>
        >

        > Table of contents
        >
        > * Broken links, ordered by link <#bylink>
        > * Broken links, ordered by page <#bypage>
        > * List of redirected URLs <#redir>
        > * List of ftp and gopher URLs <#ftpgopher>
        > * List of valid URLs you can submit to a search engine <#valid>
        > * Site Map of HTML pages with a Title <#sitemap>
        > * Broken page-local links <#targets>
        > * Orphan files <#orphans>
        > * Statistics for managers <#stats>
        >

        > Broken links, ordered by link:
        >
        > file://///lcc-svr-01/STFCS$/My%20L2L/Upload/index.html
        <cid:part1.06030508.08010505@l...>
        > error code: 2 (file not found), linked from page(s):
        >
        > 0 broken link(s) reported
        >
        > The path "file://///lcc-svr-01/STFCS$/My%20L2L/Upload/index.html
        <cid:part1.06030508.08010505@l...>"
        > works Ok in IE.
        >
        > Can anybody else reproduce the problem?
        > Clive
        >

        > Tilman Hausherr wrote:
        >
        > > On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:40:10 -0000, stfcs wrote:
        > >
        > > >I think that the latest version 1.2g has introduced a problem
        when
        > > >checking local files. I select the Local file button select the
        > > >correct file for checking and the path "file:///\\lcc-svr-01
        > > >\STFCS$\My L2L\Upload\index.html" is entered. This produces a
        file
        > > >not found error message. Exactly the same text for the path is
        > > >entered into IE and the web page appears. I guess it is to do
        with
        > > >the way in which the UNC paths are defined. I looked up the
        > > >conventions and... "On Microsoft Windows platforms, Tcl supports
        > > >both drive-relative and UNC style names. Both / and \ may be
        used as
        > > >directory separators in either type of name. Drive-relative names
        > > >consist of an optional drive specifier followed by an absolute or
        > > >relative path. UNC paths follow the general form
        > > >\\servername\sharename\path\file, but must at the very least
        contain
        > > >the server and share components, i.e. \\servername\sharename." It
        > > >would appear that the double back slash is common to all UNC
        paths.
        > > >So is a tweak to 1.2g required for the local file option?
        > >
        > > I don't know why it doesn't work for you. Try chosing it from
        the "Local
        > > file..." button.
        > >
        > > Tilman
        > >

        > > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
        > > click here

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129td2ajj/M=298184.6191685.7192823.300117
        6/D=groups/S=1705005512:HM/EXP=1111692841/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/
        *http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075>

        subject=Unsubscribe>

      • Clive Sabey [CS]
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 24, 2005
          Thanks Frank I guess it is UNC network problem.
          Can anyone test a UNC path?

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 24, 2005
            what i did notice is that doing a local link report, xenu hanged
            after requesting the browser report -- did not happen in the beta
            version.

            frank

            --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "frank visser"

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 24, 2005
              On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:55:41 -0000, frank visser wrote:

              >i can check local links with the Local File button all right, but my
              >start URL appears as this in the link report:
              >
              >file:///G:/FTAF-START.HTM
              >
              >so it starts with a drive: after file:///

              That isn't a UNC name. I was able to test it with UNC names... click on
              "Network places" (or whatever it is called in your country), then chose
              a hostname, then a share name, then a directory, then a HTML file.
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 24, 2005
                On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 12:03:33 -0000, frank visser wrote:

                >what i did notice is that doing a local link report, xenu hanged
                >after requesting the browser report -- did not happen in the beta
                >version.

                It works for me... maybe Xenu is making the site map?
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 24, 2005
                  On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:59:25 +0000, Clive Sabey [CS] wrote:

                  >Created on March 24, 2005 at 08:53:37
                  >

                  > Root URL: file://///lcc-svr-01/STFCS$/My%20L2L/Upload/index.html
                  > <cid:part1.06030508.08010505@...>

                  I tested it again. I see that the test I made yesterday wasn't actually
                  on the network. A new test with

                  file://///tilman/SharedDocs/test.htm

                  gives a "file not found" for me too :-( No idea what's going on.
                  Entering this in IE works. I suspect that the correct way to do it would
                  be

                  file://tilman/SharedDocs/test.htm

                  I'll analyse this in the next few days / weeks. In the meantime, you'll
                  have to use drives.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 24, 2005
                    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:59:25 +0000, Clive Sabey [CS] wrote:

                    >The original problem was generated using the 'Local file ' button.
                    >A sample of the 'Report'
                    >

                    > Xenu's broken link report
                    >
                    >Created on March 24, 2005 at 08:53:37
                    >

                    > Root URL: file://///lcc-svr-01/STFCS$/My%20L2L/Upload/index.html
                    > <cid:part1.06030508.08010505@...>
                    >

                    > Table of contents
                    >
                    > * Broken links, ordered by link <#bylink>
                    > * Broken links, ordered by page <#bypage>
                    > * List of redirected URLs <#redir>
                    > * List of ftp and gopher URLs <#ftpgopher>
                    > * List of valid URLs you can submit to a search engine <#valid>
                    > * Site Map of HTML pages with a Title <#sitemap>
                    > * Broken page-local links <#targets>
                    > * Orphan files <#orphans>
                    > * Statistics for managers <#stats>
                    >

                    > Broken links, ordered by link:
                    >
                    >file://///lcc-svr-01/STFCS$/My%20L2L/Upload/index.html <cid:part1.06030508.08010505@...>
                    >error code: 2 (file not found), linked from page(s):
                    >
                    >0 broken link(s) reported
                    >
                    >The path "file://///lcc-svr-01/STFCS$/My%20L2L/Upload/index.html <cid:part1.06030508.08010505@...>"
                    >works Ok in IE.
                    >
                    >Can anybody else reproduce the problem?
                    >Clive

                    I've just sent a corrected version... I see that it was the "recursion
                    protection" (the check for "//") again. I've now corrected this. The
                    only problem now is that my URL doesn't work with Opera.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 24, 2005
                      on my home PC it does work, so probably a local thing - no worries.

                      --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@s...>