Re: [xenu-usergroup] Checking local files

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 23, 2005
      On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:40:10 -0000, stfcs wrote:

      >I think that the latest version 1.2g has introduced a problem when
      >checking local files. I select the Local file button select the
      >correct file for checking and the path "file:///\\lcc-svr-01
      >\STFCS$\My L2L\Upload\index.html" is entered. This produces a file
      >not found error message. Exactly the same text for the path is
      >entered into IE and the web page appears. I guess it is to do with
      >the way in which the UNC paths are defined. I looked up the
      >conventions and... "On Microsoft Windows platforms, Tcl supports
      >both drive-relative and UNC style names. Both / and \ may be used as
      >directory separators in either type of name. Drive-relative names
      >consist of an optional drive specifier followed by an absolute or
      >relative path. UNC paths follow the general form
      >\\servername\sharename\path\file, but must at the very least contain
      >the server and share components, i.e. \\servername\sharename." It
      >would appear that the double back slash is common to all UNC paths.
      >So is a tweak to 1.2g required for the local file option?

      I don't know why it doesn't work for you. Try chosing it from the "Local
      file..." button.

      Tilman
    • Clive Sabey [CS]
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 24, 2005
        The original problem was generated using the 'Local file ' button.
        A sample of the 'Report'

        Xenu's broken link report

        Created on March 24, 2005 at 08:53:37

        Root URL: file://///lcc-svr-01/STFCS$/My%20L2L/Upload/index.html
        <cid:part1.06030508.08010505@...>

        Table of contents

        * Broken links, ordered by link <#bylink>
        * Broken links, ordered by page <#bypage>
        * List of redirected URLs <#redir>
        * List of ftp and gopher URLs <#ftpgopher>
        * List of valid URLs you can submit to a search engine <#valid>
        * Site Map of HTML pages with a Title <#sitemap>
        * Broken page-local links <#targets>
        * Orphan files <#orphans>
        * Statistics for managers <#stats>

        Broken links, ordered by link:

        file://///lcc-svr-01/STFCS$/My%20L2L/Upload/index.html <cid:part1.06030508.08010505@...>
        error code: 2 (file not found), linked from page(s):

        0 broken link(s) reported

        The path "file://///lcc-svr-01/STFCS$/My%20L2L/Upload/index.html <cid:part1.06030508.08010505@...>"
        works Ok in IE.

        Can anybody else reproduce the problem?
        Clive

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 24, 2005
          hi clive,

          i can check local links with the Local File button all right, but my
          start URL appears as this in the link report:

          file:///G:/FTAF-START.HTM

          so it starts with a drive: after file:///

          frank

          --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "Clive Sabey [CS]"
          <stfcs@l...> wrote:

          > The original problem was generated using the 'Local file ' button.
          > A sample of the 'Report'
          >

          > Xenu's broken link report
          >
          > Created on March 24, 2005 at 08:53:37
          >

          > Root URL: file://///lcc-svr-01/STFCS$/My%20L2L/Upload/index.html
          > <cid:part1.06030508.08010505@l...>
          >

          > Table of contents
          >
          > * Broken links, ordered by link <#bylink>
          > * Broken links, ordered by page <#bypage>
          > * List of redirected URLs <#redir>
          > * List of ftp and gopher URLs <#ftpgopher>
          > * List of valid URLs you can submit to a search engine <#valid>
          > * Site Map of HTML pages with a Title <#sitemap>
          > * Broken page-local links <#targets>
          > * Orphan files <#orphans>
          > * Statistics for managers <#stats>
          >

          > Broken links, ordered by link:
          >
          > file://///lcc-svr-01/STFCS$/My%20L2L/Upload/index.html
          <cid:part1.06030508.08010505@l...>
          > error code: 2 (file not found), linked from page(s):
          >
          > 0 broken link(s) reported
          >
          > The path "file://///lcc-svr-01/STFCS$/My%20L2L/Upload/index.html
          <cid:part1.06030508.08010505@l...>"
          > works Ok in IE.
          >
          > Can anybody else reproduce the problem?
          > Clive
          >

          > Tilman Hausherr wrote:
          >
          > > On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:40:10 -0000, stfcs wrote:
          > >
          > > >I think that the latest version 1.2g has introduced a problem
          when
          > > >checking local files. I select the Local file button select the
          > > >correct file for checking and the path "file:///\\lcc-svr-01
          > > >\STFCS$\My L2L\Upload\index.html" is entered. This produces a
          file
          > > >not found error message. Exactly the same text for the path is
          > > >entered into IE and the web page appears. I guess it is to do
          with
          > > >the way in which the UNC paths are defined. I looked up the
          > > >conventions and... "On Microsoft Windows platforms, Tcl supports
          > > >both drive-relative and UNC style names. Both / and \ may be
          used as
          > > >directory separators in either type of name. Drive-relative names
          > > >consist of an optional drive specifier followed by an absolute or
          > > >relative path. UNC paths follow the general form
          > > >\\servername\sharename\path\file, but must at the very least
          contain
          > > >the server and share components, i.e. \\servername\sharename." It
          > > >would appear that the double back slash is common to all UNC
          paths.
          > > >So is a tweak to 1.2g required for the local file option?
          > >
          > > I don't know why it doesn't work for you. Try chosing it from
          the "Local
          > > file..." button.
          > >
          > > Tilman
          > >

          > > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
          > > click here

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129td2ajj/M=298184.6191685.7192823.300117
          6/D=groups/S=1705005512:HM/EXP=1111692841/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/
          *http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075>

          subject=Unsubscribe>

        • Clive Sabey [CS]
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 24, 2005
            Thanks Frank I guess it is UNC network problem.
            Can anyone test a UNC path?

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 24, 2005
              what i did notice is that doing a local link report, xenu hanged
              after requesting the browser report -- did not happen in the beta
              version.

              frank

              --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "frank visser"

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 24, 2005
                On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:55:41 -0000, frank visser wrote:

                >i can check local links with the Local File button all right, but my
                >start URL appears as this in the link report:
                >
                >file:///G:/FTAF-START.HTM
                >
                >so it starts with a drive: after file:///

                That isn't a UNC name. I was able to test it with UNC names... click on
                "Network places" (or whatever it is called in your country), then chose
                a hostname, then a share name, then a directory, then a HTML file.
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 24, 2005
                  On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 12:03:33 -0000, frank visser wrote:

                  >what i did notice is that doing a local link report, xenu hanged
                  >after requesting the browser report -- did not happen in the beta
                  >version.

                  It works for me... maybe Xenu is making the site map?
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 24, 2005
                    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:59:25 +0000, Clive Sabey [CS] wrote:

                    >Created on March 24, 2005 at 08:53:37
                    >

                    > Root URL: file://///lcc-svr-01/STFCS$/My%20L2L/Upload/index.html
                    > <cid:part1.06030508.08010505@...>

                    I tested it again. I see that the test I made yesterday wasn't actually
                    on the network. A new test with

                    file://///tilman/SharedDocs/test.htm

                    gives a "file not found" for me too :-( No idea what's going on.
                    Entering this in IE works. I suspect that the correct way to do it would
                    be

                    file://tilman/SharedDocs/test.htm

                    I'll analyse this in the next few days / weeks. In the meantime, you'll
                    have to use drives.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 24, 2005
                      On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:59:25 +0000, Clive Sabey [CS] wrote:

                      >The original problem was generated using the 'Local file ' button.
                      >A sample of the 'Report'
                      >

                      > Xenu's broken link report
                      >
                      >Created on March 24, 2005 at 08:53:37
                      >

                      > Root URL: file://///lcc-svr-01/STFCS$/My%20L2L/Upload/index.html
                      > <cid:part1.06030508.08010505@...>
                      >

                      > Table of contents
                      >
                      > * Broken links, ordered by link <#bylink>
                      > * Broken links, ordered by page <#bypage>
                      > * List of redirected URLs <#redir>
                      > * List of ftp and gopher URLs <#ftpgopher>
                      > * List of valid URLs you can submit to a search engine <#valid>
                      > * Site Map of HTML pages with a Title <#sitemap>
                      > * Broken page-local links <#targets>
                      > * Orphan files <#orphans>
                      > * Statistics for managers <#stats>
                      >

                      > Broken links, ordered by link:
                      >
                      >file://///lcc-svr-01/STFCS$/My%20L2L/Upload/index.html <cid:part1.06030508.08010505@...>
                      >error code: 2 (file not found), linked from page(s):
                      >
                      >0 broken link(s) reported
                      >
                      >The path "file://///lcc-svr-01/STFCS$/My%20L2L/Upload/index.html <cid:part1.06030508.08010505@...>"
                      >works Ok in IE.
                      >
                      >Can anybody else reproduce the problem?
                      >Clive

                      I've just sent a corrected version... I see that it was the "recursion
                      protection" (the check for "//") again. I've now corrected this. The
                      only problem now is that my URL doesn't work with Opera.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 24, 2005
                        on my home PC it does work, so probably a local thing - no worries.

                        --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@s...>