Checking local files

  • stfcs
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 23, 2005
      I think that the latest version 1.2g has introduced a problem when
      checking local files. I select the Local file button select the
      correct file for checking and the path "file:///\\lcc-svr-01
      \STFCS$\My L2L\Upload\index.html" is entered. This produces a file
      not found error message. Exactly the same text for the path is
      entered into IE and the web page appears. I guess it is to do with
      the way in which the UNC paths are defined. I looked up the
      conventions and... "On Microsoft Windows platforms, Tcl supports
      both drive-relative and UNC style names. Both / and \ may be used as
      directory separators in either type of name. Drive-relative names
      consist of an optional drive specifier followed by an absolute or
      relative path. UNC paths follow the general form
      \\servername\sharename\path\file, but must at the very least contain
      the server and share components, i.e. \\servername\sharename." It
      would appear that the double back slash is common to all UNC paths.
      So is a tweak to 1.2g required for the local file option?
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 23, 2005
        On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:40:10 -0000, stfcs wrote:

        >I think that the latest version 1.2g has introduced a problem when
        >checking local files. I select the Local file button select the
        >correct file for checking and the path "file:///\\lcc-svr-01
        >\STFCS$\My L2L\Upload\index.html" is entered. This produces a file
        >not found error message. Exactly the same text for the path is
        >entered into IE and the web page appears. I guess it is to do with
        >the way in which the UNC paths are defined. I looked up the
        >conventions and... "On Microsoft Windows platforms, Tcl supports
        >both drive-relative and UNC style names. Both / and \ may be used as
        >directory separators in either type of name. Drive-relative names
        >consist of an optional drive specifier followed by an absolute or
        >relative path. UNC paths follow the general form
        >\\servername\sharename\path\file, but must at the very least contain
        >the server and share components, i.e. \\servername\sharename." It
        >would appear that the double back slash is common to all UNC paths.
        >So is a tweak to 1.2g required for the local file option?

        I don't know why it doesn't work for you. Try chosing it from the "Local
        file..." button.

        Tilman
      • Clive Sabey [CS]
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 24, 2005
          The original problem was generated using the 'Local file ' button.
          A sample of the 'Report'

          Xenu's broken link report

          Created on March 24, 2005 at 08:53:37

          Root URL: file://///lcc-svr-01/STFCS$/My%20L2L/Upload/index.html
          <cid:part1.06030508.08010505@...>

          Table of contents

          * Broken links, ordered by link <#bylink>
          * Broken links, ordered by page <#bypage>
          * List of redirected URLs <#redir>
          * List of ftp and gopher URLs <#ftpgopher>
          * List of valid URLs you can submit to a search engine <#valid>
          * Site Map of HTML pages with a Title <#sitemap>
          * Broken page-local links <#targets>
          * Orphan files <#orphans>
          * Statistics for managers <#stats>

          Broken links, ordered by link:

          file://///lcc-svr-01/STFCS$/My%20L2L/Upload/index.html <cid:part1.06030508.08010505@...>
          error code: 2 (file not found), linked from page(s):

          0 broken link(s) reported

          The path "file://///lcc-svr-01/STFCS$/My%20L2L/Upload/index.html <cid:part1.06030508.08010505@...>"
          works Ok in IE.

          Can anybody else reproduce the problem?
          Clive

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 24, 2005
            hi clive,

            i can check local links with the Local File button all right, but my
            start URL appears as this in the link report:

            file:///G:/FTAF-START.HTM

            so it starts with a drive: after file:///

            frank

            --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "Clive Sabey [CS]"
            <stfcs@l...> wrote:

            > The original problem was generated using the 'Local file ' button.
            > A sample of the 'Report'
            >

            > Xenu's broken link report
            >
            > Created on March 24, 2005 at 08:53:37
            >

            > Root URL: file://///lcc-svr-01/STFCS$/My%20L2L/Upload/index.html
            > <cid:part1.06030508.08010505@l...>
            >

            > Table of contents
            >
            > * Broken links, ordered by link <#bylink>
            > * Broken links, ordered by page <#bypage>
            > * List of redirected URLs <#redir>
            > * List of ftp and gopher URLs <#ftpgopher>
            > * List of valid URLs you can submit to a search engine <#valid>
            > * Site Map of HTML pages with a Title <#sitemap>
            > * Broken page-local links <#targets>
            > * Orphan files <#orphans>
            > * Statistics for managers <#stats>
            >

            > Broken links, ordered by link:
            >
            > file://///lcc-svr-01/STFCS$/My%20L2L/Upload/index.html
            <cid:part1.06030508.08010505@l...>
            > error code: 2 (file not found), linked from page(s):
            >
            > 0 broken link(s) reported
            >
            > The path "file://///lcc-svr-01/STFCS$/My%20L2L/Upload/index.html
            <cid:part1.06030508.08010505@l...>"
            > works Ok in IE.
            >
            > Can anybody else reproduce the problem?
            > Clive
            >

            > Tilman Hausherr wrote:
            >
            > > On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:40:10 -0000, stfcs wrote:
            > >
            > > >I think that the latest version 1.2g has introduced a problem
            when
            > > >checking local files. I select the Local file button select the
            > > >correct file for checking and the path "file:///\\lcc-svr-01
            > > >\STFCS$\My L2L\Upload\index.html" is entered. This produces a
            file
            > > >not found error message. Exactly the same text for the path is
            > > >entered into IE and the web page appears. I guess it is to do
            with
            > > >the way in which the UNC paths are defined. I looked up the
            > > >conventions and... "On Microsoft Windows platforms, Tcl supports
            > > >both drive-relative and UNC style names. Both / and \ may be
            used as
            > > >directory separators in either type of name. Drive-relative names
            > > >consist of an optional drive specifier followed by an absolute or
            > > >relative path. UNC paths follow the general form
            > > >\\servername\sharename\path\file, but must at the very least
            contain
            > > >the server and share components, i.e. \\servername\sharename." It
            > > >would appear that the double back slash is common to all UNC
            paths.
            > > >So is a tweak to 1.2g required for the local file option?
            > >
            > > I don't know why it doesn't work for you. Try chosing it from
            the "Local
            > > file..." button.
            > >
            > > Tilman
            > >

            > > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
            > > click here

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129td2ajj/M=298184.6191685.7192823.300117
            6/D=groups/S=1705005512:HM/EXP=1111692841/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/
            *http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075>

            subject=Unsubscribe>

          • Clive Sabey [CS]
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 24, 2005
              Thanks Frank I guess it is UNC network problem.
              Can anyone test a UNC path?

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 24, 2005
                what i did notice is that doing a local link report, xenu hanged
                after requesting the browser report -- did not happen in the beta
                version.

                frank

                --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "frank visser"

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 24, 2005
                  On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:55:41 -0000, frank visser wrote:

                  >i can check local links with the Local File button all right, but my
                  >start URL appears as this in the link report:
                  >
                  >file:///G:/FTAF-START.HTM
                  >
                  >so it starts with a drive: after file:///

                  That isn't a UNC name. I was able to test it with UNC names... click on
                  "Network places" (or whatever it is called in your country), then chose
                  a hostname, then a share name, then a directory, then a HTML file.
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 24, 2005
                    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 12:03:33 -0000, frank visser wrote:

                    >what i did notice is that doing a local link report, xenu hanged
                    >after requesting the browser report -- did not happen in the beta
                    >version.

                    It works for me... maybe Xenu is making the site map?
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 24, 2005
                      On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:59:25 +0000, Clive Sabey [CS] wrote:

                      >Created on March 24, 2005 at 08:53:37
                      >

                      > Root URL: file://///lcc-svr-01/STFCS$/My%20L2L/Upload/index.html
                      > <cid:part1.06030508.08010505@...>

                      I tested it again. I see that the test I made yesterday wasn't actually
                      on the network. A new test with

                      file://///tilman/SharedDocs/test.htm

                      gives a "file not found" for me too :-( No idea what's going on.
                      Entering this in IE works. I suspect that the correct way to do it would
                      be

                      file://tilman/SharedDocs/test.htm

                      I'll analyse this in the next few days / weeks. In the meantime, you'll
                      have to use drives.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 24, 2005
                        On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:59:25 +0000, Clive Sabey [CS] wrote:

                        >The original problem was generated using the 'Local file ' button.
                        >A sample of the 'Report'
                        >

                        > Xenu's broken link report
                        >
                        >Created on March 24, 2005 at 08:53:37
                        >

                        > Root URL: file://///lcc-svr-01/STFCS$/My%20L2L/Upload/index.html
                        > <cid:part1.06030508.08010505@...>
                        >

                        > Table of contents
                        >
                        > * Broken links, ordered by link <#bylink>
                        > * Broken links, ordered by page <#bypage>
                        > * List of redirected URLs <#redir>
                        > * List of ftp and gopher URLs <#ftpgopher>
                        > * List of valid URLs you can submit to a search engine <#valid>
                        > * Site Map of HTML pages with a Title <#sitemap>
                        > * Broken page-local links <#targets>
                        > * Orphan files <#orphans>
                        > * Statistics for managers <#stats>
                        >

                        > Broken links, ordered by link:
                        >
                        >file://///lcc-svr-01/STFCS$/My%20L2L/Upload/index.html <cid:part1.06030508.08010505@...>
                        >error code: 2 (file not found), linked from page(s):
                        >
                        >0 broken link(s) reported
                        >
                        >The path "file://///lcc-svr-01/STFCS$/My%20L2L/Upload/index.html <cid:part1.06030508.08010505@...>"
                        >works Ok in IE.
                        >
                        >Can anybody else reproduce the problem?
                        >Clive

                        I've just sent a corrected version... I see that it was the "recursion
                        protection" (the check for "//") again. I've now corrected this. The
                        only problem now is that my URL doesn't work with Opera.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 24, 2005
                          on my home PC it does work, so probably a local thing - no worries.

                          --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@s...>