Re: External links

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2004
      barry, tilman,

      that tip always works with "operation cancelled" or "time out"
      issues, but never when "host not found" is reported, at least for
      me.

      most of the time, that's caused by typos in the URLs.

      i have set the number of threads to 10 to avoid these false alarms.
      when i had it set to 25 or higher, i got loads of them.

      frank

      --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@b...>
      wrote:
      > Try set a lower amount of threads, and retry with CTRL-R.
      >
      > Tilman
      >
      > On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 09:01:46 +0100, barrie@c... wrote:
      >
      > >Hi,
      > >
      > >I am sure that I am doing something incorrectly <grin>
      > >
      > >When I request a report from my actual web page many of my
      external
      > >links are reported faulty, with a "no such host" comment.
      > >
      > >What I find odd is that each of these links works quite happily
      if I
      > >double click the link in the error report itself, or in the web
      page
      > >itself.
      > >
      > >I have a reasonably fast connection using DSL.
      > >
      > >Not all external links are reported faulty, perhaps about 50%
      > >
      > >The url of my links page is http://www.clock-
      museum.co.uk/links.htm

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2004
        could not resist spidering your site ;-), got only 4 issues, 2 are
        Nedstat related non-isues, one is probaby a typo in an image name,
        the metalsgalore one i cannot figure out:

        1631 links found:

        Broken links, ordered by link:
        http://www.clock-museum.co.uk/20c/mvmnts/mb~101.jpg
        error code: 12017 (operation cancelled), linked from page(s):
        http://www.clock-museum.co.uk/20c/mvmnts/pm~unknwn.htm

        http://www.metalsgalore.com/
        error code: 403 (forbidden request), linked from page(s):
        http://www.clock-museum.co.uk/links.htm

        http://www.nedstatbasic.net/
        error code: 403 (forbidden request), linked from page(s):
        http://www.clock-museum.co.uk/index.htm

        http://www.nedstatbasic.net/s?tab=1&link=1&id=3090148
        error code: 403 (forbidden request), linked from page(s):
        http://www.nedstatbasic.net/stats?
        AC8m5ADpk2xU5bs1nk+JzrngT1ng

        4 broken link(s) reported

        --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "frank visser"

      • barrie@clock-museum.co.uk
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2004
          On 1 Aug 2004 at 10:04, Tilman Hausherr wrote:

          > Try set a lower amount of threads, and retry with CTRL-R.
          >
          > Tilman
          =============

          Tilman, Andi and Frank,

          Thank you for those quick and helpful replies.

          I have dropped the number of threads to 12 and that certainly reduces
          the number of sites reported as "no such Host" though I still get
          quite a few.

          I will try again at some unearthly hour when the net might be less
          busy, but anyway I can live with the problem!

          Frank, thanks for your detailed report. I don't know why one url did
          not work for you, it does for me <grin> In any case, thanks because
          in checking it I saw my logo was incorrect on that page!

          I think the bloke I was linked to must have dropped Metals galore or
          moved without telling me. I have deleted that link.

          Up to now I have not been checking my site regularly, only when I
          update my own site. Perhaps I should check more often. It is easier
          now that I have a faster connection.

          Thanks again,

          Barrie Smith (in sunny Kent UK)

          Visit my Virtual Clock Museum at http://www.clock-museum.co.uk/
        • Jeff Malka
          Message 4 of 12 , May 1, 2005
            Hi everyone

            I just discovered Xenu and am very impressed with its speed. I however have
            three questions:

            1. I am still confused about the use of the "External Links" choice (despite
            reading the documentation) and hope someone more knowledgeable would give
            this novice some guidance.

            I of course have many links on my pages to websites that are not part of my
            own domain or website. And, I of course want these checked for broken
            links. However, the report that xenu produces lists broken links on these
            other websites on which I have no control.

            I would like to have a report that shows all the broken links on my pages -
            including broken links to external websites - but that does not include
            broken links on these other (not mine) websites. I am concerned that if I do
            not select the "External Links" box, Xenu will only check for broken links
            within my own WebPages and not for those going out to other sites? I am
            probably wrong but would like some advice from the more experienced users.

            2.Some of the webpages (maybe all?) in the report seem to be reported twice
            in the report. Why is that?

            3. Is there a way for the reports to show line numbers too?

            Great utility. Thanks.

            Jeff Malka
            Message 5 of 12 , May 2, 2005
              On Sun, 1 May 2005 23:47:27 -0400, Jeff Malka wrote:

              >Hi everyone
              >
              >I just discovered Xenu and am very impressed with its speed. I however have
              >three questions:
              >
              >1. I am still confused about the use of the "External Links" choice (despite
              >reading the documentation) and hope someone more knowledgeable would give
              >this novice some guidance.
              >
              >I of course have many links on my pages to websites that are not part of my
              >own domain or website. And, I of course want these checked for broken
              >links. However, the report that xenu produces lists broken links on these
              >other websites on which I have no control.

              I suspect these are redirections. You have an external link, that
              immediately redirects to another external link, that is broken.

              >I would like to have a report that shows all the broken links on my pages -
              >including broken links to external websites - but that does not include
              >broken links on these other (not mine) websites. I am concerned that if I do
              >not select the "External Links" box, Xenu will only check for broken links
              >within my own WebPages and not for those going out to other sites? I am
              >probably wrong but would like some advice from the more experienced users.
              >
              >2.Some of the webpages (maybe all?) in the report seem to be reported twice
              >in the report. Why is that?

              Case sensitivity

              >3. Is there a way for the reports to show line numbers too?

              No

              Tilman

              >Great utility. Thanks.
              >
              >Jeff Malka

            • Jeff Malka
              Message 6 of 12 , May 2, 2005
                Thank you. Excellent program. Would be nice if the line numbers could be
                added in a later version.

                Thanks for replying.

                Jeff Malka

                Tilman Hausherr wrote:
                > On Sun, 1 May 2005 23:47:27 -0400, Jeff Malka wrote:
                >
                >> Hi everyone
                >>
                >> I just discovered Xenu and am very impressed with its speed. I
                >> however have three questions:
                >>
                >> 1. I am still confused about the use of the "External Links" choice
                >> (despite reading the documentation) and hope someone more
                >> knowledgeable would give this novice some guidance.
                >>
                >> I of course have many links on my pages to websites that are not
                >> part of my own domain or website. And, I of course want these
                >> checked for broken links. However, the report that xenu produces
                >> lists broken links on these other websites on which I have no
                >> control.
                >
                > I suspect these are redirections. You have an external link, that
                > immediately redirects to another external link, that is broken.
                >

                >> I would like to have a report that shows all the broken links on my
                >> pages - including broken links to external websites - but that does
                >> not include broken links on these other (not mine) websites. I am
                >> concerned that if I do not select the "External Links" box, Xenu
                >> will only check for broken links within my own WebPages and not for
                >> those going out to other sites? I am probably wrong but would like
                >> some advice from the more experienced users.
                >>
                >> 2.Some of the webpages (maybe all?) in the report seem to be
                >> reported twice in the report. Why is that?
                >
                > Case sensitivity
                >
                >> 3. Is there a way for the reports to show line numbers too?
                >
                > No
                >
                > Tilman
                >

                >> Great utility. Thanks.
                >>
                >> Jeff Malka
                >>

                >> Yahoo! Groups Links
                >>

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Frank Visser
                Message 7 of 12 , May 2, 2005
                  Hi jeff,

                  What i do is save the web report as text file, open that in Excel, and you
                  have your line numbers.

                  Frank

                  Frank Visser, Waterpoortweg 279, 1051 pv, Amsterdam

                  Author of: Ken Wilber: Thought as Passion SUNY 2003

                  Read all about Ken Wilber : http:// <http://www.integralworld.net>
                  www.integralworld.net

                  _____

                  Tilman Hausherr wrote:
                  > On Sun, 1 May 2005 23:47:27 -0400, Jeff Malka wrote:
                  >
                  >> Hi everyone
                  >>
                  >> I just discovered Xenu and am very impressed with its speed. I
                  >> however have three questions:
                  >>
                  >> 1. I am still confused about the use of the "External Links" choice
                  >> (despite reading the documentation) and hope someone more
                  >> knowledgeable would give this novice some guidance.
                  >>
                  >> I of course have many links on my pages to websites that are not
                  >> part of my own domain or website. And, I of course want these
                  >> checked for broken links. However, the report that xenu produces
                  >> lists broken links on these other websites on which I have no
                  >> control.
                  >
                  > I suspect these are redirections. You have an external link, that
                  > immediately redirects to another external link, that is broken.
                  >

                  >> I would like to have a report that shows all the broken links on my
                  >> pages - including broken links to external websites - but that does
                  >> not include broken links on these other (not mine) websites. I am
                  >> concerned that if I do not select the "External Links" box, Xenu
                  >> will only check for broken links within my own WebPages and not for
                  >> those going out to other sites? I am probably wrong but would like
                  >> some advice from the more experienced users.
                  >>
                  >> 2.Some of the webpages (maybe all?) in the report seem to be
                  >> reported twice in the report. Why is that?
                  >
                  > Case sensitivity
                  >
                  >> 3. Is there a way for the reports to show line numbers too?
                  >
                  > No
                  >
                  > Tilman
                  >

                  >> Great utility. Thanks.
                  >>
                  >> Jeff Malka
                  >>

                  >> Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >>

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  _____

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> of Service.

                • Jeff Malka
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 3, 2005
                    I realize I used the wrong terminology. I should have used the phrase
                    "target line". I mean the line numbers on the page where the error exists.
                    For instance in Linkscan, the report would say:

                    Document: (my webpage) name.htm webpage title
                    Target: Line 00299 Error: 404 Not Found url of broken link title of
                    broken link
                    Target: Line 00319 Error: 404 Not Found url of broken link title of
                    broken link
                    Target: Line 00273 Error: 911 Unsafe Character url of broken link title
                    of broken link
                    etc.

                    Not essential by any means, but it can help in locating the broken link or
                    error on the webpage

                    Jeff Malka

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 4, 2005
                      On Tue, 3 May 2005 08:38:55 -0400, Jeff Malka wrote:

                      >I realize I used the wrong terminology. I should have used the phrase
                      >"target line". I mean the line numbers on the page where the error exists.
                      >For instance in Linkscan, the report would say:
                      >
                      >Document: (my webpage) name.htm webpage title
                      > Target: Line 00299 Error: 404 Not Found url of broken link title of
                      >broken link
                      > Target: Line 00319 Error: 404 Not Found url of broken link title of
                      >broken link
                      > Target: Line 00273 Error: 911 Unsafe Character url of broken link title
                      >of broken link
                      >etc.
                      >
                      >Not essential by any means, but it can help in locating the broken link or
                      >error on the webpage

                      Not available. Typing in a line number, or a broken url end, is kindof
                      the same...

                      Tilman