Re: [xenu-usergroup] External links

  • andi
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2004
      For your reference, I have a Comcast Broadband connection that averages around 2800kbps.  I have Xenu set at 30 threads.  I usually make up a special page with about 10,000 external links and run it very late at night.  The first pass usually yeilds about a third of the links "action cancelled" which is the ISP choking on the load.  I save the .XEN file and retry the broken links, Ctrl-R about an hour later and again I get a smaller portion of the remainder "action cancelled."  Usually it is good to redo this several times because some percentage of the links themselves will always be temporarily out of service at any given time.

      I set a 14 day interval between checks and so over the course of the two weeks I'm confident there are a minimal number of errors due to my own connection.  By that time there are usually just 25-30 dead links out of 10K which are easy enough to check manually.  I use the iRider http://www.irider.com/  browser which will open 25 links like a bot but presents itself as IE6 for the final final check thus eliminating sites blocking robot user-agents.

      Andi

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2004
        barry, tilman,

        that tip always works with "operation cancelled" or "time out"
        issues, but never when "host not found" is reported, at least for
        me.

        most of the time, that's caused by typos in the URLs.

        i have set the number of threads to 10 to avoid these false alarms.
        when i had it set to 25 or higher, i got loads of them.

        frank

        --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@b...>

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2004
          could not resist spidering your site ;-), got only 4 issues, 2 are
          Nedstat related non-isues, one is probaby a typo in an image name,
          the metalsgalore one i cannot figure out:

          1631 links found:

          Broken links, ordered by link:
          http://www.clock-museum.co.uk/20c/mvmnts/mb~101.jpg
          error code: 12017 (operation cancelled), linked from page(s):
          http://www.clock-museum.co.uk/20c/mvmnts/pm~unknwn.htm

          http://www.metalsgalore.com/
          error code: 403 (forbidden request), linked from page(s):
          http://www.clock-museum.co.uk/links.htm

          http://www.nedstatbasic.net/
          error code: 403 (forbidden request), linked from page(s):
          http://www.clock-museum.co.uk/index.htm

          http://www.nedstatbasic.net/s?tab=1&link=1&id=3090148
          error code: 403 (forbidden request), linked from page(s):
          http://www.nedstatbasic.net/stats?
          AC8m5ADpk2xU5bs1nk+JzrngT1ng

          4 broken link(s) reported

          --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "frank visser"

        • barrie@clock-museum.co.uk
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1, 2004
            On 1 Aug 2004 at 10:04, Tilman Hausherr wrote:

            > Try set a lower amount of threads, and retry with CTRL-R.
            >
            > Tilman
            =============

            Tilman, Andi and Frank,

            Thank you for those quick and helpful replies.

            I have dropped the number of threads to 12 and that certainly reduces
            the number of sites reported as "no such Host" though I still get
            quite a few.

            I will try again at some unearthly hour when the net might be less
            busy, but anyway I can live with the problem!

            Frank, thanks for your detailed report. I don't know why one url did
            not work for you, it does for me <grin> In any case, thanks because
            in checking it I saw my logo was incorrect on that page!

            I think the bloke I was linked to must have dropped Metals galore or
            moved without telling me. I have deleted that link.

            Up to now I have not been checking my site regularly, only when I
            update my own site. Perhaps I should check more often. It is easier
            now that I have a faster connection.

            Thanks again,

            Barrie Smith (in sunny Kent UK)

            Visit my Virtual Clock Museum at http://www.clock-museum.co.uk/
          • Jeff Malka
            Message 5 of 12 , May 1, 2005
              Hi everyone

              I just discovered Xenu and am very impressed with its speed. I however have
              three questions:

              1. I am still confused about the use of the "External Links" choice (despite
              reading the documentation) and hope someone more knowledgeable would give
              this novice some guidance.

              I of course have many links on my pages to websites that are not part of my
              own domain or website. And, I of course want these checked for broken
              links. However, the report that xenu produces lists broken links on these
              other websites on which I have no control.

              I would like to have a report that shows all the broken links on my pages -
              including broken links to external websites - but that does not include
              broken links on these other (not mine) websites. I am concerned that if I do
              not select the "External Links" box, Xenu will only check for broken links
              within my own WebPages and not for those going out to other sites? I am
              probably wrong but would like some advice from the more experienced users.

              2.Some of the webpages (maybe all?) in the report seem to be reported twice
              in the report. Why is that?

              3. Is there a way for the reports to show line numbers too?

              Great utility. Thanks.

              Jeff Malka
              Message 6 of 12 , May 2, 2005
                On Sun, 1 May 2005 23:47:27 -0400, Jeff Malka wrote:

                >Hi everyone
                >
                >I just discovered Xenu and am very impressed with its speed. I however have
                >three questions:
                >
                >1. I am still confused about the use of the "External Links" choice (despite
                >reading the documentation) and hope someone more knowledgeable would give
                >this novice some guidance.
                >
                >I of course have many links on my pages to websites that are not part of my
                >own domain or website. And, I of course want these checked for broken
                >links. However, the report that xenu produces lists broken links on these
                >other websites on which I have no control.

                I suspect these are redirections. You have an external link, that
                immediately redirects to another external link, that is broken.

                >I would like to have a report that shows all the broken links on my pages -
                >including broken links to external websites - but that does not include
                >broken links on these other (not mine) websites. I am concerned that if I do
                >not select the "External Links" box, Xenu will only check for broken links
                >within my own WebPages and not for those going out to other sites? I am
                >probably wrong but would like some advice from the more experienced users.
                >
                >2.Some of the webpages (maybe all?) in the report seem to be reported twice
                >in the report. Why is that?

                Case sensitivity

                >3. Is there a way for the reports to show line numbers too?

                No

                Tilman

                >Great utility. Thanks.
                >
                >Jeff Malka

              • Jeff Malka
                Message 7 of 12 , May 2, 2005
                  Thank you. Excellent program. Would be nice if the line numbers could be
                  added in a later version.

                  Thanks for replying.

                  Jeff Malka

                  Tilman Hausherr wrote:
                  > On Sun, 1 May 2005 23:47:27 -0400, Jeff Malka wrote:
                  >
                  >> Hi everyone
                  >>
                  >> I just discovered Xenu and am very impressed with its speed. I
                  >> however have three questions:
                  >>
                  >> 1. I am still confused about the use of the "External Links" choice
                  >> (despite reading the documentation) and hope someone more
                  >> knowledgeable would give this novice some guidance.
                  >>
                  >> I of course have many links on my pages to websites that are not
                  >> part of my own domain or website. And, I of course want these
                  >> checked for broken links. However, the report that xenu produces
                  >> lists broken links on these other websites on which I have no
                  >> control.
                  >
                  > I suspect these are redirections. You have an external link, that
                  > immediately redirects to another external link, that is broken.
                  >

                  >> I would like to have a report that shows all the broken links on my
                  >> pages - including broken links to external websites - but that does
                  >> not include broken links on these other (not mine) websites. I am
                  >> concerned that if I do not select the "External Links" box, Xenu
                  >> will only check for broken links within my own WebPages and not for
                  >> those going out to other sites? I am probably wrong but would like
                  >> some advice from the more experienced users.
                  >>
                  >> 2.Some of the webpages (maybe all?) in the report seem to be
                  >> reported twice in the report. Why is that?
                  >
                  > Case sensitivity
                  >
                  >> 3. Is there a way for the reports to show line numbers too?
                  >
                  > No
                  >
                  > Tilman
                  >

                  >> Great utility. Thanks.
                  >>
                  >> Jeff Malka
                  >>

                  >> Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >>

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Frank Visser
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 2, 2005
                    Hi jeff,

                    What i do is save the web report as text file, open that in Excel, and you
                    have your line numbers.

                    Frank

                    Frank Visser, Waterpoortweg 279, 1051 pv, Amsterdam

                    Author of: Ken Wilber: Thought as Passion SUNY 2003

                    Read all about Ken Wilber : http:// <http://www.integralworld.net>
                    www.integralworld.net

                    _____

                    Tilman Hausherr wrote:
                    > On Sun, 1 May 2005 23:47:27 -0400, Jeff Malka wrote:
                    >
                    >> Hi everyone
                    >>
                    >> I just discovered Xenu and am very impressed with its speed. I
                    >> however have three questions:
                    >>
                    >> 1. I am still confused about the use of the "External Links" choice
                    >> (despite reading the documentation) and hope someone more
                    >> knowledgeable would give this novice some guidance.
                    >>
                    >> I of course have many links on my pages to websites that are not
                    >> part of my own domain or website. And, I of course want these
                    >> checked for broken links. However, the report that xenu produces
                    >> lists broken links on these other websites on which I have no
                    >> control.
                    >
                    > I suspect these are redirections. You have an external link, that
                    > immediately redirects to another external link, that is broken.
                    >

                    >> I would like to have a report that shows all the broken links on my
                    >> pages - including broken links to external websites - but that does
                    >> not include broken links on these other (not mine) websites. I am
                    >> concerned that if I do not select the "External Links" box, Xenu
                    >> will only check for broken links within my own WebPages and not for
                    >> those going out to other sites? I am probably wrong but would like
                    >> some advice from the more experienced users.
                    >>
                    >> 2.Some of the webpages (maybe all?) in the report seem to be
                    >> reported twice in the report. Why is that?
                    >
                    > Case sensitivity
                    >
                    >> 3. Is there a way for the reports to show line numbers too?
                    >
                    > No
                    >
                    > Tilman
                    >

                    >> Great utility. Thanks.
                    >>
                    >> Jeff Malka
                    >>

                    >> Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >>

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    _____

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> of Service.

                  • Jeff Malka
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 3, 2005
                      I realize I used the wrong terminology. I should have used the phrase
                      "target line". I mean the line numbers on the page where the error exists.
                      For instance in Linkscan, the report would say:

                      Document: (my webpage) name.htm webpage title
                      Target: Line 00299 Error: 404 Not Found url of broken link title of
                      broken link
                      Target: Line 00319 Error: 404 Not Found url of broken link title of
                      broken link
                      Target: Line 00273 Error: 911 Unsafe Character url of broken link title
                      of broken link
                      etc.

                      Not essential by any means, but it can help in locating the broken link or
                      error on the webpage

                      Jeff Malka

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 4, 2005
                        On Tue, 3 May 2005 08:38:55 -0400, Jeff Malka wrote:

                        >I realize I used the wrong terminology. I should have used the phrase
                        >"target line". I mean the line numbers on the page where the error exists.
                        >For instance in Linkscan, the report would say:
                        >
                        >Document: (my webpage) name.htm webpage title
                        > Target: Line 00299 Error: 404 Not Found url of broken link title of
                        >broken link
                        > Target: Line 00319 Error: 404 Not Found url of broken link title of
                        >broken link
                        > Target: Line 00273 Error: 911 Unsafe Character url of broken link title
                        >of broken link
                        >etc.
                        >
                        >Not essential by any means, but it can help in locating the broken link or
                        >error on the webpage

                        Not available. Typing in a line number, or a broken url end, is kindof
                        the same...

                        Tilman