Timeouts and Connections messages need you attention.

  • eenidagent@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 15, 2005
      As a Yahoo! store I tried using Xenu for broken links, but ended up
      finding more value in the timeouts and connections troubles.

      Please consider adding 5 options; timeout variable, retry variable,
      maximum hits per second, auto restart and an auto cycle. With those
      features I would have found the problem faster and continue using
      Xenu as a website/network monitor.

      The problem was long download times. No timeout or connection error
      was a hard failure. The first full run using Xenu took over 4 days
      and nights of restarting to complete one full pass.

      FYI; other stores used NetMechanic and got clean runs until I
      convince to use a realistic time frame for an ecommerce site. We
      have 8 seconds to capture a surfers attention. How can you download
      20 linked files if 1 or more take 30 seconds?
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 15, 2005
        On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 09:13:37 -0000, eenidagent@... wrote:

        >As a Yahoo! store I tried using Xenu for broken links, but ended up
        >finding more value in the timeouts and connections troubles.
        >
        >Please consider adding 5 options; timeout variable, retry variable,
        >maximum hits per second, auto restart and an auto cycle. With those
        >features I would have found the problem faster and continue using
        >Xenu as a website/network monitor.
        >
        >The problem was long download times. No timeout or connection error
        >was a hard failure. The first full run using Xenu took over 4 days
        >and nights of restarting to complete one full pass.
        >
        >FYI; other stores used NetMechanic and got clean runs until I
        >convince to use a realistic time frame for an ecommerce site. We
        >have 8 seconds to capture a surfers attention. How can you download
        >20 linked files if 1 or more take 30 seconds?

        Hi,

        A timeout variable is already available and described in the FAQ (it's
        worthless, because when something times out, it will always time out,
        even if you wait forever, because the real cause is a dropped connection
        within the TCP/IP protocol. It's like you call someone, and the line
        goes "dead", i.e. you hear nothing - it doesn't help if you wait). There
        is no retry variable because my experience is that when something times
        out, an immediate retry does not help most of the time, which is why I
        do only one single automatic retry.

        If you get lots of timeouts, the best solution is usually to use less
        threads.

        Because your server is open for business while you check, it is even
        more important to set very few threads.

        The way I work on my site is to concentrate on links that are obviously
        broken ("not found") while Xenu runs. When I see that it has lots of
        timeouts, I press CTRL-R, maybe set less threads (I work with 5-10) and
        go on with correcting links.

        Tilman
      • eenidagent@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 15, 2005
          I found chasing broken links was secondary to retesting links that
          were timing out. I started with 50% timeouts using a 20 second
          timeout and have gotten it down to below 2% using a 11 second
          timeout out of Yahoo!'s Santa Clara, CA center. I stopped the test,
          then immediately restarted and the failing links did not fail again.

          Other Yahoo! stores have since found the same problem and Yahoo! is
          fixing it. What I need now is a method to monitor by walking slowly
          through the website testing for broken links.

          I had not thought to check for non-published variable. I found the
          how to add the variable and have started testing using a 12 second
          timeout. 12 seconds is 150% longer then 33% of all surfers are
          willing to wait.

          John Tangney
        • mushu999mushu
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 30, 2005
            --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, eenidagent@y... wrote:
            > I found chasing broken links was secondary to retesting links that
            > were timing out.

            Agreed.

            > I started with 50% timeouts using a 20 second
            > timeout and have gotten it down to below 2% using a 11 second
            > timeout out of Yahoo!'s Santa Clara, CA center. I stopped the test,
            > then immediately restarted and failing links did not fail again.

            Please! How do you adjust the Timeout period???

            > I had not thought to check for non-published variable. I found the
            > how to add the variable and have started testing using a 12 second
            > timeout. 12 seconds is 150% longer then 33% of all surfers are
            > willing to wait.

            What is this "non-published" variable? Is this a xenu.ini option setting?

            TIA!
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 30, 2005
              On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:19:11 -0000, mushu999mushu wrote:

              >Please! How do you adjust the Timeout period???
              >What is this "non-published" variable? Is this a xenu.ini option setting?

              It is published, but not in the menu, I hate to "clutter" the
              dialogboxes with tons of unimportant options, especially the ones that
              *I* don't use :-)

              http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html

              24. Can I configure the timeout?

            • mushu999mushu