Redirection instead of 404 error

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 5, 2005
      From time to time people contact me because Xenu does not detect broken
      links as such. The reason is that their webserver redirects to an error
      page, instead of returning a proper 404.

      Could anyone make a very short description for popular webservers
      (Apache, IIS, ...) how NOT to redirect, and instead maybe deliver a
      custom HTML page.

      This is an example of a server who does it right:
      http://www.ibm.com/blah

      This is an example of a server who doesn't do it right:
      http://www.ktb.net/blah
      (redirects to http://www.ktb.net/WebServ/missing.html )
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 7, 2005
        Xenu's Link Sleuth banner:
        http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenubanner.jpg

        Done from the existing graphics, by Bruno Zacke:
        http://www.ufocomes.de/files/flsauce.html