External links

  • barrie@clock-museum.co.uk
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1 1:01 AM

      I am sure that I am doing something incorrectly <grin>

      When I request a report from my actual web page many of my external
      links are reported faulty, with a "no such host" comment.

      What I find odd is that each of these links works quite happily if I
      double click the link in the error report itself, or in the web page
      itself.

      I have a reasonably fast connection using DSL.

      Not all external links are reported faulty, perhaps about 50%

      The url of my links page is http://www.clock-museum.co.uk/links.htm

      Any help will be most gratefully received. I find Xenu invaluable and
      as I said above, I feel sure this problem is due to me being dim.

      Barrie Smith (in sunny Kent UK)

      Visit my Virtual Clock Museum at http://www.clock-museum.co.uk/
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1 1:04 AM
        Try set a lower amount of threads, and retry with CTRL-R.

        Tilman

        On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 09:01:46 +0100, barrie@... wrote:

        >Hi,
        >
        >I am sure that I am doing something incorrectly <grin>
        >
        >When I request a report from my actual web page many of my external
        >links are reported faulty, with a "no such host" comment.
        >
        >What I find odd is that each of these links works quite happily if I
        >double click the link in the error report itself, or in the web page
        >itself.
        >
        >I have a reasonably fast connection using DSL.
        >
        >Not all external links are reported faulty, perhaps about 50%
        >
        >The url of my links page is http://www.clock-museum.co.uk/links.htm
        >
        >Any help will be most gratefully received. I find Xenu invaluable and
        >as I said above, I feel sure this problem is due to me being dim.
        >

        >Barrie Smith (in sunny Kent UK)
        >
        >Visit my Virtual Clock Museum at http://www.clock-museum.co.uk/
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • andi
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1 1:31 AM
          For your reference, I have a Comcast Broadband connection that averages around 2800kbps.  I have Xenu set at 30 threads.  I usually make up a special page with about 10,000 external links and run it very late at night.  The first pass usually yeilds about a third of the links "action cancelled" which is the ISP choking on the load.  I save the .XEN file and retry the broken links, Ctrl-R about an hour later and again I get a smaller portion of the remainder "action cancelled."  Usually it is good to redo this several times because some percentage of the links themselves will always be temporarily out of service at any given time.

          I set a 14 day interval between checks and so over the course of the two weeks I'm confident there are a minimal number of errors due to my own connection.  By that time there are usually just 25-30 dead links out of 10K which are easy enough to check manually.  I use the iRider http://www.irider.com/  browser which will open 25 links like a bot but presents itself as IE6 for the final final check thus eliminating sites blocking robot user-agents.

          Andi

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1 4:52 AM
            barry, tilman,

            that tip always works with "operation cancelled" or "time out"
            issues, but never when "host not found" is reported, at least for
            me.

            most of the time, that's caused by typos in the URLs.

            i have set the number of threads to 10 to avoid these false alarms.
            when i had it set to 25 or higher, i got loads of them.

            frank

            --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@b...>

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 1 4:59 AM
              could not resist spidering your site ;-), got only 4 issues, 2 are
              Nedstat related non-isues, one is probaby a typo in an image name,
              the metalsgalore one i cannot figure out:

              1631 links found:

              Broken links, ordered by link:
              http://www.clock-museum.co.uk/20c/mvmnts/mb~101.jpg
              error code: 12017 (operation cancelled), linked from page(s):
              http://www.clock-museum.co.uk/20c/mvmnts/pm~unknwn.htm

              http://www.metalsgalore.com/
              error code: 403 (forbidden request), linked from page(s):
              http://www.clock-museum.co.uk/links.htm

              http://www.nedstatbasic.net/
              error code: 403 (forbidden request), linked from page(s):
              http://www.clock-museum.co.uk/index.htm

              http://www.nedstatbasic.net/s?tab=1&link=1&id=3090148
              error code: 403 (forbidden request), linked from page(s):
              http://www.nedstatbasic.net/stats?
              AC8m5ADpk2xU5bs1nk+JzrngT1ng

              4 broken link(s) reported

              --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "frank visser"

            • barrie@clock-museum.co.uk
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 1 10:15 AM
                On 1 Aug 2004 at 10:04, Tilman Hausherr wrote:

                > Try set a lower amount of threads, and retry with CTRL-R.
                >
                > Tilman
                =============

                Tilman, Andi and Frank,

                Thank you for those quick and helpful replies.

                I have dropped the number of threads to 12 and that certainly reduces
                the number of sites reported as "no such Host" though I still get
                quite a few.

                I will try again at some unearthly hour when the net might be less
                busy, but anyway I can live with the problem!

                Frank, thanks for your detailed report. I don't know why one url did
                not work for you, it does for me <grin> In any case, thanks because
                in checking it I saw my logo was incorrect on that page!

                I think the bloke I was linked to must have dropped Metals galore or
                moved without telling me. I have deleted that link.

                Up to now I have not been checking my site regularly, only when I
                update my own site. Perhaps I should check more often. It is easier
                now that I have a faster connection.

                Thanks again,

                Barrie Smith (in sunny Kent UK)

                Visit my Virtual Clock Museum at http://www.clock-museum.co.uk/
              • Jeff Malka
                Message 7 of 12 , May 1, 2005
                  Hi everyone

                  I just discovered Xenu and am very impressed with its speed. I however have
                  three questions:

                  1. I am still confused about the use of the "External Links" choice (despite
                  reading the documentation) and hope someone more knowledgeable would give
                  this novice some guidance.

                  I of course have many links on my pages to websites that are not part of my
                  own domain or website. And, I of course want these checked for broken
                  links. However, the report that xenu produces lists broken links on these
                  other websites on which I have no control.

                  I would like to have a report that shows all the broken links on my pages -
                  including broken links to external websites - but that does not include
                  broken links on these other (not mine) websites. I am concerned that if I do
                  not select the "External Links" box, Xenu will only check for broken links
                  within my own WebPages and not for those going out to other sites? I am
                  probably wrong but would like some advice from the more experienced users.

                  2.Some of the webpages (maybe all?) in the report seem to be reported twice
                  in the report. Why is that?

                  3. Is there a way for the reports to show line numbers too?

                  Great utility. Thanks.

                  Jeff Malka
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 2, 2005
                    On Sun, 1 May 2005 23:47:27 -0400, Jeff Malka wrote:

                    >Hi everyone
                    >
                    >I just discovered Xenu and am very impressed with its speed. I however have
                    >three questions:
                    >
                    >1. I am still confused about the use of the "External Links" choice (despite
                    >reading the documentation) and hope someone more knowledgeable would give
                    >this novice some guidance.
                    >
                    >I of course have many links on my pages to websites that are not part of my
                    >own domain or website. And, I of course want these checked for broken
                    >links. However, the report that xenu produces lists broken links on these
                    >other websites on which I have no control.

                    I suspect these are redirections. You have an external link, that
                    immediately redirects to another external link, that is broken.

                    >I would like to have a report that shows all the broken links on my pages -
                    >including broken links to external websites - but that does not include
                    >broken links on these other (not mine) websites. I am concerned that if I do
                    >not select the "External Links" box, Xenu will only check for broken links
                    >within my own WebPages and not for those going out to other sites? I am
                    >probably wrong but would like some advice from the more experienced users.
                    >
                    >2.Some of the webpages (maybe all?) in the report seem to be reported twice
                    >in the report. Why is that?

                    Case sensitivity

                    >3. Is there a way for the reports to show line numbers too?

                    No

                    Tilman

                    >Great utility. Thanks.
                    >
                    >Jeff Malka

                  • Jeff Malka
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 2, 2005
                      Thank you. Excellent program. Would be nice if the line numbers could be
                      added in a later version.

                      Thanks for replying.

                      Jeff Malka

                      Tilman Hausherr wrote:
                      > On Sun, 1 May 2005 23:47:27 -0400, Jeff Malka wrote:
                      >
                      >> Hi everyone
                      >>
                      >> I just discovered Xenu and am very impressed with its speed. I
                      >> however have three questions:
                      >>
                      >> 1. I am still confused about the use of the "External Links" choice
                      >> (despite reading the documentation) and hope someone more
                      >> knowledgeable would give this novice some guidance.
                      >>
                      >> I of course have many links on my pages to websites that are not
                      >> part of my own domain or website. And, I of course want these
                      >> checked for broken links. However, the report that xenu produces
                      >> lists broken links on these other websites on which I have no
                      >> control.
                      >
                      > I suspect these are redirections. You have an external link, that
                      > immediately redirects to another external link, that is broken.
                      >

                      >> I would like to have a report that shows all the broken links on my
                      >> pages - including broken links to external websites - but that does
                      >> not include broken links on these other (not mine) websites. I am
                      >> concerned that if I do not select the "External Links" box, Xenu
                      >> will only check for broken links within my own WebPages and not for
                      >> those going out to other sites? I am probably wrong but would like
                      >> some advice from the more experienced users.
                      >>
                      >> 2.Some of the webpages (maybe all?) in the report seem to be
                      >> reported twice in the report. Why is that?
                      >
                      > Case sensitivity
                      >
                      >> 3. Is there a way for the reports to show line numbers too?
                      >
                      > No
                      >
                      > Tilman
                      >

                      >> Great utility. Thanks.
                      >>
                      >> Jeff Malka
                      >>

                      >> Yahoo! Groups Links
                      >>

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Frank Visser
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 2, 2005
                        Hi jeff,

                        What i do is save the web report as text file, open that in Excel, and you
                        have your line numbers.

                        Frank

                        Frank Visser, Waterpoortweg 279, 1051 pv, Amsterdam

                        Author of: Ken Wilber: Thought as Passion SUNY 2003

                        Read all about Ken Wilber : http:// <http://www.integralworld.net>
                        www.integralworld.net

                        _____

                        Tilman Hausherr wrote:
                        > On Sun, 1 May 2005 23:47:27 -0400, Jeff Malka wrote:
                        >
                        >> Hi everyone
                        >>
                        >> I just discovered Xenu and am very impressed with its speed. I
                        >> however have three questions:
                        >>
                        >> 1. I am still confused about the use of the "External Links" choice
                        >> (despite reading the documentation) and hope someone more
                        >> knowledgeable would give this novice some guidance.
                        >>
                        >> I of course have many links on my pages to websites that are not
                        >> part of my own domain or website. And, I of course want these
                        >> checked for broken links. However, the report that xenu produces
                        >> lists broken links on these other websites on which I have no
                        >> control.
                        >
                        > I suspect these are redirections. You have an external link, that
                        > immediately redirects to another external link, that is broken.
                        >

                        >> I would like to have a report that shows all the broken links on my
                        >> pages - including broken links to external websites - but that does
                        >> not include broken links on these other (not mine) websites. I am
                        >> concerned that if I do not select the "External Links" box, Xenu
                        >> will only check for broken links within my own WebPages and not for
                        >> those going out to other sites? I am probably wrong but would like
                        >> some advice from the more experienced users.
                        >>
                        >> 2.Some of the webpages (maybe all?) in the report seem to be
                        >> reported twice in the report. Why is that?
                        >
                        > Case sensitivity
                        >
                        >> 3. Is there a way for the reports to show line numbers too?
                        >
                        > No
                        >
                        > Tilman
                        >

                        >> Great utility. Thanks.
                        >>
                        >> Jeff Malka
                        >>

                        >> Yahoo! Groups Links
                        >>

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        _____

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> of Service.

                      • Jeff Malka
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 3, 2005
                          I realize I used the wrong terminology. I should have used the phrase
                          "target line". I mean the line numbers on the page where the error exists.
                          For instance in Linkscan, the report would say:

                          Document: (my webpage) name.htm webpage title
                          Target: Line 00299 Error: 404 Not Found url of broken link title of
                          broken link
                          Target: Line 00319 Error: 404 Not Found url of broken link title of
                          broken link
                          Target: Line 00273 Error: 911 Unsafe Character url of broken link title
                          of broken link
                          etc.

                          Not essential by any means, but it can help in locating the broken link or
                          error on the webpage

                          Jeff Malka

                          Message 12 of 12 , May 4, 2005
                            On Tue, 3 May 2005 08:38:55 -0400, Jeff Malka wrote:

                            >I realize I used the wrong terminology. I should have used the phrase
                            >"target line". I mean the line numbers on the page where the error exists.
                            >For instance in Linkscan, the report would say:
                            >
                            >Document: (my webpage) name.htm webpage title
                            > Target: Line 00299 Error: 404 Not Found url of broken link title of
                            >broken link
                            > Target: Line 00319 Error: 404 Not Found url of broken link title of
                            >broken link
                            > Target: Line 00273 Error: 911 Unsafe Character url of broken link title
                            >of broken link
                            >etc.
                            >
                            >Not essential by any means, but it can help in locating the broken link or
                            >error on the webpage

                            Not available. Typing in a line number, or a broken url end, is kindof
                            the same...

                            Tilman