Xenu issues both HEAD and GET commands

  • Eugeny.Sattler@RU.NESTLE.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2005
      Hi Tilman ,
      I have set up a local http server and decided to try checking my local links
      via this server
      Looking through server logs I noticed that for each link Xenu issues both
      HEAD and GET commands.
      I wonder why. All the information that is needed (file size, last modified
      date, MIME type, server version) is available in HTTP headers so issuing
      HEAD command should be enough.
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 10, 2005
        On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:22:09 +0300, Eugeny.Sattler@... wrote:

        >Hi Tilman ,
        >I have set up a local http server and decided to try checking my local links
        >via this server
        >Looking through server logs I noticed that for each link Xenu issues both
        >HEAD and GET commands.
        >I wonder why. All the information that is needed (file size, last modified
        >date, MIME type, server version) is available in HTTP headers so issuing
        >HEAD command should be enough.

        Xenu does both if the server returns an error for the HEAD command. At
        the retry, Xenu would send a GET.