RE: [xenu-usergroup] manual

  • Frank Visser
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 29, 2004

      Hi andi,

      Thats a very nice thing to hear from a linkcheck colleague.

      I’ve been spending the last 5 years with quality assurance of Intel’s European websites, so that’s about 3000 pages (was even 8000 in the past) and a lot of links!

      Xenu just did the job for me, even in a CMS environment that multiplied all links by 5 due to redirects.

      Can you explan why you export the reports to a database? I read something on your page about retrying and reviving dead links, will investigate that more.

      Frank Visser, Waterpoortweg 279, 1051 pv, Amsterdam

      Author of: Ken Wilber: Thought as Passion SUNY 2003

      Read all about Ken Wilber : http://www.integralworld.net

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 29, 2004
        Hi Frank,

        >>Can you explan why you export the reports to a database?

        Yes.  All my links and their associated comments, descriptions, categories etc. reside in a local MS Access database and I assemble the static pages with (mostly) VB and (some) Perl scripts.  This provides me with maximum flexibility and scalability when redesigning the pages and reconfiguring the categories.  It also is a precursor to a MySQL dynamic presentation.  So when I delete dead links I remove them first from the database with Xenu and then reassemble and upload the pages.  The easiest way I have found to match the Xenu results to the database is to copy the link titles of the dead links in the exported Xenu report (I keep the dead link titles and discard the rest).  I match them with a simple query and then delete the dead records after copying them to the "dead table."

        As for resurrecting old links, I was doing that for a time, but I have since purchased a spider allows me to move so quickly on the web that it doesn't pay to dig through the dregs.  Though I still do keep them, it wouldn't take long to find any residual good ones with Xenu and I may eventually get back to that.

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 14, 2004
          A user had trouble accessing her FTP site to check for orphans because
          she was running Zonealarm. While I wasn't able to find out a workable
          setting for Zonealarm, I was able to modify Xenu so that it used passive
          mode for FTP.

          I'm wondering if I should set this by default, or does it have any
          unwelcome side effects?

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 15, 2004
            I wonder if I should change Xenu so that it delivers a proper REFERER,
            or at least making it an option. Anyone interested in testing a version?
          • Eugeny.Sattler@RU.NESTLE.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 15, 2004
              > I wonder if I should change Xenu so that it delivers a proper REFERER,
              > or at least making it an option. Anyone interested in testing a version?
              Yes! Yes! Yes!
              I am interested!

              Also, I suggest to add possibility to deliver base URL as referer.
              For example, if I check http://somesite.com/dir/subdir/file.ext
              referer should automatically be set to:
              option1) http://somesite.com/
              option2) http://somesite.com/dir/subdir/