FTP links

  • Eugeny.Sattler@RU.NESTLE.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 20, 2005
      Tilman ,
      ES>why Xenu refuses to check FTP links I enter manually while checks them OK
      if
      ES>they are taken from HTML doc?

      T> They are just checked that they exist, not crawled.

      ES>I am forced to create intermediate HTML docs for that (or find that link
      ES>somewhere in the net).
      ES>I hope you understand how inconvinient it is.
      ES>can it be fixed?

      T> No, because I don't do "ftp link crawling". If you have a HTML file, it
      T> should be on a WWW server. Ftp is really just as file repository.

      I probably described my need incompletely.
      Periodically, I need to check an ftp link to a FILE (like
      ftp://host.com/pub/file.ext),
      not the whole directory like ftp://host.com/pub/ ).
      So I don't need any crawling, i.e. jumping from one file to another.
      Sure, I understand that if it is a file repository, there are no links fo
      follow further,
      as it is with WWW. But I need to check just a single file.

      If XENU sees ftp:// in the beginning of the link I enter manually it stops.
      There is logic in that - you can't check a directory.
      But why not make XENU see if there is file extension (up to 3 letters long)
      and the end of ftp link, this way assuming the the link is "checkable".
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 21, 2005
        On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:50:09 +0300, Eugeny.Sattler@... wrote:

        > Tilman ,
        > ES>why Xenu refuses to check FTP links I enter manually while checks
        > them OK if
        > ES>they are taken from HTML doc?
        >
        > T> They are just checked that they exist, not crawled.
        >
        > ES>I am forced to create intermediate HTML docs for that (or find that
        > link ES>somewhere in the net).
        > ES>I hope you understand how inconvinient it is.
        > ES>can it be fixed?
        >
        > T> No, because I don't do "ftp link crawling". If you have a HTML file,
        > it T> should be on a WWW server. Ftp is really just as file repository.
        >
        > I probably described my need incompletely.
        > Periodically, I need to check an ftp link to a FILE (like
        > ftp://host.com/pub/file.ext),
        > not the whole directory like ftp://host.com/pub/ ).
        > So I don't need any crawling, i.e. jumping from one file to another.
        > Sure, I understand that if it is a file repository, there are no links
        > fo follow further,
        > as it is with WWW. But I need to check just a single file.
        >
        > If XENU sees ftp:// in the beginning of the link I enter manually it
        > stops. There is logic in that - you can't check a directory.
        > But why not make XENU see if there is file extension (up to 3 letters
        > long) and the end of ftp link, this way assuming the the link is
        > "checkable".

        Sure I could improve Xenu so that you can enter an ftp URL into the
        dialogbox. But why use Xenu for checking whether a single URL exists? Why
        not just enter it into your browser? As soon as the "download" box appears,
        you know that something exists.

        Tilman
      • Eugeny.Sattler@RU.NESTLE.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 21, 2005
          > Sure I could improve Xenu so that you can enter an ftp URL into the
          > dialogbox. But why use Xenu for checking whether a single URL exists? Why
          > not just enter it into your browser? As soon as the "download" box
          appears,
          > you know that something exists.

          Frankly speaking I need more than just knowing the file exists.
          I need to learn file size and last-modified date -- in order to find out on

          which FTP the latest program version is located, for example.

          Eugeny
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 21, 2005
            On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:50:09 +0300, Eugeny.Sattler@... wrote:

            >I probably described my need incompletely.
            >Periodically, I need to check an ftp link to a FILE (like
            >ftp://host.com/pub/file.ext),
            >not the whole directory like ftp://host.com/pub/ ).
            >So I don't need any crawling, i.e. jumping from one file to another.
            >Sure, I understand that if it is a file repository, there are no links fo
            >follow further,
            >as it is with WWW. But I need to check just a single file.
            >
            >If XENU sees ftp:// in the beginning of the link I enter manually it stops.
            >There is logic in that - you can't check a directory.
            >But why not make XENU see if there is file extension (up to 3 letters long)
            >and the end of ftp link, this way assuming the the link is "checkable".

            done.

            You can now enter a ftp URL. Try it with
            ftp://ftp3.nero.com/software/NeroBurningROM/nero6606.exe

            it will quickly tell you the size and date. This is really "just for
            you".