Re: [xenu-usergroup] FTP links

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 20, 2005
      On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:39:22 +0300, Eugeny.Sattler@... wrote:

      >Tilman ,
      >why Xenu refuses to check FTP links I enter manually while checks them OK if
      >they are taken from HTML doc?

      They are just checked that they exist, not crawled.

      >I am forced to create intermediate HTML docs for that (or find that link
      >somewhere in the net).
      >I hope you understand how inconvinient it is.
      >
      >can it be fixed?

      No, because I don't do "ftp link crawling". If you have a HTML file, it
      should be on a WWW server. Ftp is really just as file repository.
    • Eugeny.Sattler@RU.NESTLE.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 20, 2005
        Tilman ,
        ES>why Xenu refuses to check FTP links I enter manually while checks them OK
        if
        ES>they are taken from HTML doc?

        T> They are just checked that they exist, not crawled.

        ES>I am forced to create intermediate HTML docs for that (or find that link
        ES>somewhere in the net).
        ES>I hope you understand how inconvinient it is.
        ES>can it be fixed?

        T> No, because I don't do "ftp link crawling". If you have a HTML file, it
        T> should be on a WWW server. Ftp is really just as file repository.

        I probably described my need incompletely.
        Periodically, I need to check an ftp link to a FILE (like
        ftp://host.com/pub/file.ext),
        not the whole directory like ftp://host.com/pub/ ).
        So I don't need any crawling, i.e. jumping from one file to another.
        Sure, I understand that if it is a file repository, there are no links fo
        follow further,
        as it is with WWW. But I need to check just a single file.

        If XENU sees ftp:// in the beginning of the link I enter manually it stops.
        There is logic in that - you can't check a directory.
        But why not make XENU see if there is file extension (up to 3 letters long)
        and the end of ftp link, this way assuming the the link is "checkable".
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 21, 2005
          On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:50:09 +0300, Eugeny.Sattler@... wrote:

          > Tilman ,
          > ES>why Xenu refuses to check FTP links I enter manually while checks
          > them OK if
          > ES>they are taken from HTML doc?
          >
          > T> They are just checked that they exist, not crawled.
          >
          > ES>I am forced to create intermediate HTML docs for that (or find that
          > link ES>somewhere in the net).
          > ES>I hope you understand how inconvinient it is.
          > ES>can it be fixed?
          >
          > T> No, because I don't do "ftp link crawling". If you have a HTML file,
          > it T> should be on a WWW server. Ftp is really just as file repository.
          >
          > I probably described my need incompletely.
          > Periodically, I need to check an ftp link to a FILE (like
          > ftp://host.com/pub/file.ext),
          > not the whole directory like ftp://host.com/pub/ ).
          > So I don't need any crawling, i.e. jumping from one file to another.
          > Sure, I understand that if it is a file repository, there are no links
          > fo follow further,
          > as it is with WWW. But I need to check just a single file.
          >
          > If XENU sees ftp:// in the beginning of the link I enter manually it
          > stops. There is logic in that - you can't check a directory.
          > But why not make XENU see if there is file extension (up to 3 letters
          > long) and the end of ftp link, this way assuming the the link is
          > "checkable".

          Sure I could improve Xenu so that you can enter an ftp URL into the
          dialogbox. But why use Xenu for checking whether a single URL exists? Why
          not just enter it into your browser? As soon as the "download" box appears,
          you know that something exists.

          Tilman
        • Eugeny.Sattler@RU.NESTLE.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 21, 2005
            > Sure I could improve Xenu so that you can enter an ftp URL into the
            > dialogbox. But why use Xenu for checking whether a single URL exists? Why
            > not just enter it into your browser? As soon as the "download" box
            appears,
            > you know that something exists.

            Frankly speaking I need more than just knowing the file exists.
            I need to learn file size and last-modified date -- in order to find out on

            which FTP the latest program version is located, for example.

            Eugeny
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 21, 2005
              On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:50:09 +0300, Eugeny.Sattler@... wrote:

              >I probably described my need incompletely.
              >Periodically, I need to check an ftp link to a FILE (like
              >ftp://host.com/pub/file.ext),
              >not the whole directory like ftp://host.com/pub/ ).
              >So I don't need any crawling, i.e. jumping from one file to another.
              >Sure, I understand that if it is a file repository, there are no links fo
              >follow further,
              >as it is with WWW. But I need to check just a single file.
              >
              >If XENU sees ftp:// in the beginning of the link I enter manually it stops.
              >There is logic in that - you can't check a directory.
              >But why not make XENU see if there is file extension (up to 3 letters long)
              >and the end of ftp link, this way assuming the the link is "checkable".

              done.

              You can now enter a ftp URL. Try it with
              ftp://ftp3.nero.com/software/NeroBurningROM/nero6606.exe

              it will quickly tell you the size and date. This is really "just for
              you".