Finding the origin of links within a crawl

  • mfurmaniuk
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 14, 2013
      I am using Xenu to do some crawls on our site as we do a content redesign, the goal is to find out where links are not updated in pages on our site. Not just on top level pages but as far deep as I can get Xenu to crawl, and so far it has been very good in telling me when it encounters a link that does not exist when I look at the end report. The problem I am having is that I often do not know where the crawl has come across a broken link when looking at the exported report.

      Is there a way to get the same tracking of source page to broken link in the export?
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 14, 2013
        It is in the report. Or press ALT-ENTER in the Xenu window.

        (This is the second tip when starting Xenu: "You can press ALT-ENTER in
        Xenu's Link Sleuth List View or click on the Properties logo on the
        toolbar to see who links to an URL.")

        Tilman

        Am 14.08.2013 20:24, schrieb mfurmaniuk:
        > I am using Xenu to do some crawls on our site as we do a content redesign, the goal is to find out where links are not updated in pages on our site. Not just on top level pages but as far deep as I can get Xenu to crawl, and so far it has been very good in telling me when it encounters a link that does not exist when I look at the end report. The problem I am having is that I often do not know where the crawl has come across a broken link when looking at the exported report.
        >
        > Is there a way to get the same tracking of source page to broken link in the export?

      • Michael F
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 15, 2013
          Thanks for the reply Tilman although I am looking for that functionality in the Export.

          I am importing the data into Excel and using pivot tables check for Status Codes of interest but the Expot is only a subset of data from the Report, I am trying to link together the Page Map export so I can trace back to the original link(s).  The Business Users who are asking for the reports want to get a summary of where the broken pages/images are and where they are linked from so they can update the pages.

          I'm ok to do work on the exports to get these together if I need to, I wasn't sure if this has been asked about before.

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 15, 2013
            Oops, you were talking about the export. Yes, the export page map does have this. Yes, you have to import the two exports into a database and do a join.

            Tilman