Change of 404 Error Page

  • Aryeh Oron
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 15, 2013
      Hi all,

      I have created on my website Error404.htm page and direct visitors to it by adding a command line in the .htaccess file:
      ErrorDocument 404 Error404.htm
      I have checked and indeed visitors of my website see this page instead of a missing page.

      My question is:
      I still would like to correct problems of missing pages.
      Will Xenu report missing pages if such a change has been implemented?

      Thanks,

      Aryeh Oron
      Bach and Jazz Music Fan
      WebMaster of Bach Cantatas Website:
      http://www.bach-cantatas.com
      RingMaster of J.S. Bach Web Ring: http://b.webring.com/hub?ring=jsbachwebring
      Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/aryeh.oron
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 15, 2013

        I do not fully understand your problem. It is possibly about using a redirection to a 404 page for errors. This is not a good idea. Please return a 404 HTTP code and show a custom HTML but don't redirect.

        http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html
        see nr 32.

        If you still feel you must do this, configure Xenu to treat redirections as errors.

        Tilman

        Am 15.06.2013 12:41, schrieb Aryeh Oron:
        Hi all,

        I have created on my website Error404.htm page and direct visitors to it by adding a command line in the .htaccess file:
        ErrorDocument 404 Error404.htm
        I have checked and indeed visitors of my website see this page instead of a missing page.

        My question is:
        I still would like to correct problems of missing pages.
        Will Xenu report missing pages if such a change has been implemented?

        Thanks,

        Aryeh Oron
        Bach and Jazz Music Fan
        WebMaster of Bach Cantatas Website:
        http://www.bach-cantatas.com
        RingMaster of J.S. Bach Web Ring: http://b.webring.com/hub?ring=jsbachwebring
        Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/aryeh.oron

      • Shiner
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 17, 2013
          Tilman,

          I believe the OP is using HTTP 404 code but just specifying in the .htaccess file the location of the custom 404 page.

          Aryeh:  You shouldn't have to do anything else, and Xenu will detect and show you any 404 errors that are generated when scanning your site.

          Regards

          Chris

          (See:  http://www.htaccess-guide.com/error-documents/ )

          Hi,

        Message 4 of 5 , Jun 17, 2013
          Dear Tilman and Chris,

          Thanks for your suggestions.
          I have added in the .htaccess file the command line:
          ErrorDocument 404 /Error/Error404.htm
          See: http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Error/Error404.htm
          This page appears when a file is missing, but the address line in the browser shows the URL of the missing page.
          Although I have not finished yet uploading all the files of my website to the new host server, I ran the Xenu program and it indeed shows the missing pages as "not found"

          Sincerely,