Re: [xenu-usergroup] Puzzling Xenu Behavior

  • Al Guevara
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 15, 2012
      Use a modern editor, not WORD. Use notepad even. much better than Word.

      From: "Tilman Hausherr" <tilman@...>
      To: xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [xenu-usergroup] Puzzling Xenu Behavior

      >The index file has two mysterious bytes (maybe the utf16 magic sequence)
      >at the beginning, and apparently this confuses a microsoft library that
      >my software is using. Remove that.

      >Tilman

      >Am 14.12.2012 22:59, schrieb Bill:
      >> I'd used Xenu for many happy years, until the machine it was installed on
      >crapped out.
      >> I've just downloaded the latest version and run it against my web site,
      >www.greatdecals.com, and it found nothing. No links, no nothing.
      >> I also ran it against another web site I'm involved with, and that worked
      >fine. Any ideas?
      >> Thanks.
      >>
      >> Bill Mosteller

    • Bill
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 16, 2012
        I edited and re-filed a half-dozen or so web site files and corrected the problem. Thanks a million, Tilman!

        Tilman Hausherr wrote:

        Sorry, my answer was not really correct, as the rest will show.

        Use "save as" in notepad, and instead of "unicode", choose ANSI (which is the iso-8859-1 mentioned in your HTML, or almost)

        I tried this, and the resulting TXT file was only half the size. So what you had was unicode text, i.e. two bytes per character. Its probably not illegal, but highly unusual.

        Tilman