Re: [xenu-usergroup] Puzzling Xenu Behavior

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 15, 2012
      The index file has two mysterious bytes (maybe the utf16 magic sequence)
      at the beginning, and apparently this confuses a microsoft library that
      my software is using. Remove that.

      Tilman

      Am 14.12.2012 22:59, schrieb Bill:
      > I'd used Xenu for many happy years, until the machine it was installed on crapped out.
      > I've just downloaded the latest version and run it against my web site, www.greatdecals.com, and it found nothing. No links, no nothing.
      > I also ran it against another web site I'm involved with, and that worked fine. Any ideas?
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Bill Mosteller

    • Al Guevara
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 15, 2012
        Use a modern editor, not WORD. Use notepad even. much better than Word.

        From: "Tilman Hausherr" <tilman@...>
        To: xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [xenu-usergroup] Puzzling Xenu Behavior

        >The index file has two mysterious bytes (maybe the utf16 magic sequence)
        >at the beginning, and apparently this confuses a microsoft library that
        >my software is using. Remove that.

        >Tilman

        >Am 14.12.2012 22:59, schrieb Bill:
        >> I'd used Xenu for many happy years, until the machine it was installed on
        >crapped out.
        >> I've just downloaded the latest version and run it against my web site,
        >www.greatdecals.com, and it found nothing. No links, no nothing.
        >> I also ran it against another web site I'm involved with, and that worked
        >fine. Any ideas?
        >> Thanks.
        >>
        >> Bill Mosteller

      • Bill
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 16, 2012
          I edited and re-filed a half-dozen or so web site files and corrected the problem. Thanks a million, Tilman!

          Tilman Hausherr wrote:

          Sorry, my answer was not really correct, as the rest will show.

          Use "save as" in notepad, and instead of "unicode", choose ANSI (which is the iso-8859-1 mentioned in your HTML, or almost)

          I tried this, and the resulting TXT file was only half the size. So what you had was unicode text, i.e. two bytes per character. Its probably not illegal, but highly unusual.

          Tilman