Re: [xenu-usergroup] broken link: Reset

  • Shiner
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 29, 2012
      On 29/07/2012 10:53, Marisa Ciceran wrote:
      > We changed our host server for our website http://www.istrianet.org
      > last month

      I've just noticed that you are with HostGator, and you should be able to
      set the number of threads to 25 and definitely not have any errors.
      (Any higher than 25 and you may see connection errors).

      Chris
    • Marisa Ciceran
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 30, 2012
        Chris,

        Shiner wrote:
        > On 29/07/2012 10:53, Marisa Ciceran wrote:
        >> We changed our host server for our website http://www.istrianet.org
        >> last month
        > I've just noticed that you are with HostGator, and you should be able to
        > set the number of threads to 25 and definitely not have any errors.
        So far in my exchanges with their tech support, all they come up with is
        instructing me to read their rules of usage, backups, violations and
        restrictions, but avoiding straight answers as to why I experiencing the
        problem with Xenu. We are with them only one month and haven't done
        anything out of order (being a cultural-only site, there is no heavy
        traffic of hits) on their server after the direct transfer of the site
        via cPanel was made by them. All I've done in the past month is try to
        run FTPSync, an old and primitive web synchronization program (I wish I
        could find a newer and still simple alternative) to see if the files
        were in synch with my PC backup and, over the last few days I also tried
        to run Xenu to clear up any broken links - both of these being a
        reasonable alternative, I thought, to their "SWAMP previewing system"
        which is primitive and imprecise and therefore of absolutely no value in
        verifying anything whatsoever of our 11+ Gb site contents.
        > (Any higher than 25 and you may see connection errors).
        Initially, I had it set for 30 and included the check for broken
        external links, then I went down to 20, 10 and finally to 1 and
        excluding external links. Each attempt gave the same results: Xenu
        started off and appeared to be running, then the error I mentioned
        quickly popped in and rendered the results useless. In my latest
        attempts after my posting here, I got more outright "timeout" messages
        along with the error code I previously mentioned.

        Any other thoughts on why HostGator is being so troublesome right from
        the start?

        Marisa

        > Chris
        Thanks for your observations and suggestions. I will try again in a day
        or two to see if perhaps I have been experiencing the month's end
        traffic jams on HostGator server.

        Marisa

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 30, 2012
          I scanned her whole site this WE with threads set to 1, later 2. That
          took many hours, but it worked without trouble.

          Theories about this:
          - Maybe if one starts with "too many" threads, the client IP address is
          "penalized" for some time, so it doesn't help lowering threads after
          being "flagged" by the server firewall
          - A change on her client side (many people do have a firewall in their
          router; so do I, and initially it blocked Xenu from running)
          - sysadmins are too often underqualified, underpaid and understaffed.
          What you get then are people who just try to find a way to quickly close
          tickets, instead of taking some time to research a problem.

          Tilman