broken link: Reset

  • kanzlei_poveda
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 14 10:42 PM
      Hi.

      I have been a happy user of xenu for some years now.
      There is only oneerror message, I hvae not been able tofix for a while:
      Some external links get the following:

      Broken links, ordered by link:

      http://www.frankfurt.de/sixcms/detail.php?id=317595&_ffmpar[_id_inhalt]=7846492
      error code: 12031 (connection reset), linked from page(s):
      http://www.ra-poveda.de/English/Links_Immigration.html

      I check the links, they work fine.I tried to use references from the external sites that also link to these pages, and they also generate the same error messages. Is there any possibility I can get rid of those messages?

      Thanks.
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 15 2:38 AM
        It might work if you retry (CTRL-R), this is a network problem:
        http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums/xp-networking/http-error-12031-a-206361.html

        I tried to access that page myself with a browser, and only a part of it
        was displayed the first time.

        Tilman

        Am 15.07.2012 07:42, schrieb kanzlei_poveda:
        > Hi.
        >
        > I have been a happy user of xenu for some years now.
        > There is only oneerror message, I hvae not been able tofix for a while:
        > Some external links get the following:
        >
        > Broken links, ordered by link:
        >
        > http://www.frankfurt.de/sixcms/detail.php?id=317595&_ffmpar[_id_inhalt]=7846492
        > error code: 12031 (connection reset), linked from page(s):
        > http://www.ra-poveda.de/English/Links_Immigration.html
        >
        > I check the links, they work fine.I tried to use references from the external sites that also link to these pages, and they also generate the same error messages. Is there any possibility I can get rid of those messages?
        >
        > Thanks.

      • Shiner
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 15 6:35 AM
          It could be that the webhost is limiting the number of active connections permitted from a single IP.
          Might be worth checking the number of threads that they have set up in Xenu and lowering it to a value at which the timeouts do not occur.
          Some web hosts do not terminate the connection gracefully and it leaves the connection hanging until such time it times out (they have to do that to avoid DoS attacks, so these days, rather then reject the connection, it just ignores it which leaves the visitor hanging on until their local machine times out).

          YMMV

          Chris

          On 15/07/2012 10:38, Tilman Hausherr wrote:

          It might work if you retry (CTRL-R), this is a network problem:
          http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums/xp-networking/http-error-12031-a-206361.html

          I tried to access that page myself with a browser, and only a part of it
          was displayed the first time.

          Tilman

          Am 15.07.2012 07:42, schrieb kanzlei_poveda:
          > Hi.
          >
          > I have been a happy user of xenu for some years now.
          > There is only oneerror message, I hvae not been able tofix for a while:
          > Some external links get the following:
          >
          > Broken links, ordered by link:
          >
          > http://www.frankfurt.de/sixcms/detail.php?id=317595&_ffmpar[_id_inhalt]=7846492
          > error code: 12031 (connection reset), linked from page(s):
          > http://www.ra-poveda.de/English/Links_Immigration.html
          >
          > I check the links, they work fine.I tried to use references from the external sites that also link to these pages, and they also generate the same error messages. Is there any possibility I can get rid of those messages?
          >
          > Thanks.

        • kanzlei_poveda
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 16 12:08 PM
            Thanks Chris, thanks Tilman.

            --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Shiner <shinerweb@...> wrote:

            > It could be that the webhost is limiting the number of active
            > connections permitted from a single IP.
            > Might be worth checking the number of threads that they have set up in
            > Xenu and lowering it to a value at which the timeouts do not occur.
            > Some web hosts do not terminate the connection gracefully and it leaves
            > the connection hanging until such time it times out (they have to do
            > that to avoid DoS attacks, so these days, rather then reject the
            > connection, it just ignores it which leaves the visitor hanging on until
            > their local machine times out).
            >
            > YMMV
            >
            > Chris
            >
            > On 15/07/2012 10:38, Tilman Hausherr wrote:
            > >

            > > It might work if you retry (CTRL-R), this is a network problem:
            > > http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums/xp-networking/http-error-12031-a-206361.html
            > >
            > > I tried to access that page myself with a browser, and only a part of it
            > > was displayed the first time.
            > >
            > > Tilman
            > >
            > > Am 15.07.2012 07:42, schrieb kanzlei_poveda:
            > > > Hi.
            > > >
            > > > I have been a happy user of xenu for some years now.
            > > > There is only oneerror message, I hvae not been able tofix for a while:
            > > > Some external links get the following:
            > > >
            > > > Broken links, ordered by link:
            > > >

            > > http://www.frankfurt.de/sixcms/detail.php?id=317595&_ffmpar[_id_inhalt]=7846492
            > > > error code: 12031 (connection reset), linked from page(s):
            > > > http://www.ra-poveda.de/English/Links_Immigration.html
            > > >
            > > > I check the links, they work fine.I tried to use references from the
            > > external sites that also link to these pages, and they also generate
            > > the same error messages. Is there any possibility I can get rid of
            > > those messages?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks.

          • Marisa Ciceran
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 29 2:53 AM
              Chris,

              We changed our host server for our website http://www.istrianet.org last month and, so far this year and especially in the last month since our domain transfer, running XENU has become a major ordeal. Apart from openly timing out, we currently are getting error 12151 (invalid response) that essentially aborts the program from the start. The only response I have gotten this morning from our server technical support folks is that their firewall may be blocking my IP address for "excessive request".

              Is this the same issue as you just suggested? I am not a techie so have no clue as to what this error code actually means.

              Thanks,

              Marisa

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 29 3:23 AM
                Hi Marias,

                Yes, this is what he suggested. Run Xenu from a fixed IP address (maybe you already have one? Go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ several days and see if it changes) and tell tech support to allow unlimited requests from that IP.

                If they don't - try a desperate measure: set the thread count to 1. And be very, very patient. There are broken links, so you'll already have work to do before its done.

                Tilman

                Shiner wrote:
                It could be that the webhost is limiting the number of active connections permitted from a single IP.
                Might be worth checking the number of threads that they have set up in Xenu and lowering it to a value at which the timeouts do not occur.
                Some web hosts do not terminate the connection gracefully and it leaves the connection hanging until such time it times out (they have to do that to avoid DoS attacks, so these days, rather then reject the connection, it just ignores it which leaves the visitor hanging on until their local machine times out).

                YMMV

                Chris

                On 15/07/2012 10:38, Tilman Hausherr wrote:

                It might work if you retry (CTRL-R), this is a network problem:
                http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums/xp-networking/http-error-12031-a-206361.html

                I tried to access that page myself with a browser, and only a part of it
                was displayed the first time.

                Tilman

                Am 15.07.2012 07:42, schrieb kanzlei_poveda:
                > Hi.
                >
                > I have been a happy user of xenu for some years now.
                > There is only oneerror message, I hvae not been able tofix for a while:
                > Some external links get the following:
                >
                > Broken links, ordered by link:
                >
                > http://www.frankfurt.de/sixcms/detail.php?id=317595&_ffmpar[_id_inhalt]=7846492
                > error code: 12031 (connection reset), linked from page(s):
                > http://www.ra-poveda.de/English/Links_Immigration.html
                >
                > I check the links, they work fine.I tried to use references from the external sites that also link to these pages, and they also generate the same error messages. Is there any possibility I can get rid of those messages?
                >
                > Thanks.

              • Shiner
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 29 3:31 AM
                  Marisa,

                  The "firewall may be blocking my IP address for "excessive request" is the same thing essentially.

                  When you run Xenu, go to the options panel and under the "basic" tab, you will see in the top left hand corner of that panel, a "Parallel Threads" section.
                  Here you can set it between 1-100.

                  This is number of threads that Xenu uses to connect with the remote server.
                  If you set it to 100, then essentially this means that Xenu will open up 100 connections from your IP address to your website.

                  Whereas your web server can handle many hundreds if not thousands of connections at the same time, some servers restrict the number of connections from a single IP address.

                  Try setting it 10, and run Xenu again.. If no errors, increase to 30.
                  If you get errors, then decrease to 20.
                  If no errors, increase to 25, if errors, decrease to 15..
                  i.e. keep doing this until you find a value that works consistently..

                  (The fastest way to find the optimum number is actually to set it to 50, and then half the difference each time it passes or fails).  i.e. if no errors, go to 75, if errors go to 25. Now run again, if errors, then drop or increase by 12, next time by 6, then by 3, then by 1.  I usually start at 10 only because most web servers on shared hosting plans tend to have a low limit on the number of connections, and it's very rarely near 50).
                  This is called the "Half Split Method" by the way...

                  Obviously, when set to 100, Xenu will scan a website quicker than if set to 1.
                  Likewise, if set to 1, it will still complete a scan but a lot slower (if a large site)...

                  You can also try setting Xenu to run at a "quiet time" for your web host (i.e. between 2am and 6am), but remember it will be the time zone of where your server is based and not necessarily the time zone where you are based.

                  If you can set Xenu to run 'overnight', then it doesn't matter if you set the number of threads to '1' as hopefully when you wake up in the morning, it should have completed (unless it's some humongous web site).

                  So in summary, it has nothing to do with the speed of your connection (i.e. whether you are on dial up at 9600bps or a fibre connection at Gigabits per second, it's down the number of connections your Xenu/local machine is trying to make to the remote (web) server in parallel (at the same time).  So what you have to do is find a value that your web server is reliably happy with.

                  Give me a shout if I've still been too technical, or you are having problems setting it up.

                  Regards

                  Chris

                  Shiner wrote:
                  It could be that the webhost is limiting the number of active connections permitted from a single IP.
                  Might be worth checking the number of threads that they have set up in Xenu and lowering it to a value at which the timeouts do not occur.
                  Some web hosts do not terminate the connection gracefully and it leaves the connection hanging until such time it times out (they have to do that to avoid DoS attacks, so these days, rather then reject the connection, it just ignores it which leaves the visitor hanging on until their local machine times out).

                  YMMV

                  Chris

                  On 15/07/2012 10:38, Tilman Hausherr wrote:

                  It might work if you retry (CTRL-R), this is a network problem:
                  http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums/xp-networking/http-error-12031-a-206361.html

                  I tried to access that page myself with a browser, and only a part of it
                  was displayed the first time.

                  Tilman

                  Am 15.07.2012 07:42, schrieb kanzlei_poveda:
                  > Hi.
                  >
                  > I have been a happy user of xenu for some years now.
                  > There is only oneerror message, I hvae not been able tofix for a while:
                  > Some external links get the following:
                  >
                  > Broken links, ordered by link:
                  >
                  > http://www.frankfurt.de/sixcms/detail.php?id=317595&_ffmpar[_id_inhalt]=7846492
                  > error code: 12031 (connection reset), linked from page(s):
                  > http://www.ra-poveda.de/English/Links_Immigration.html
                  >
                  > I check the links, they work fine.I tried to use references from the external sites that also link to these pages, and they also generate the same error messages. Is there any possibility I can get rid of those messages?
                  >
                  > Thanks.

                • Shiner
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 29 3:40 AM
                    On 29/07/2012 10:53, Marisa Ciceran wrote:
                    > We changed our host server for our website http://www.istrianet.org
                    > last month

                    I've just noticed that you are with HostGator, and you should be able to
                    set the number of threads to 25 and definitely not have any errors.
                    (Any higher than 25 and you may see connection errors).

                    Chris
                  • Marisa Ciceran
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 30 1:44 AM
                      Chris,

                      Shiner wrote:
                      > On 29/07/2012 10:53, Marisa Ciceran wrote:
                      >> We changed our host server for our website http://www.istrianet.org
                      >> last month
                      > I've just noticed that you are with HostGator, and you should be able to
                      > set the number of threads to 25 and definitely not have any errors.
                      So far in my exchanges with their tech support, all they come up with is
                      instructing me to read their rules of usage, backups, violations and
                      restrictions, but avoiding straight answers as to why I experiencing the
                      problem with Xenu. We are with them only one month and haven't done
                      anything out of order (being a cultural-only site, there is no heavy
                      traffic of hits) on their server after the direct transfer of the site
                      via cPanel was made by them. All I've done in the past month is try to
                      run FTPSync, an old and primitive web synchronization program (I wish I
                      could find a newer and still simple alternative) to see if the files
                      were in synch with my PC backup and, over the last few days I also tried
                      to run Xenu to clear up any broken links - both of these being a
                      reasonable alternative, I thought, to their "SWAMP previewing system"
                      which is primitive and imprecise and therefore of absolutely no value in
                      verifying anything whatsoever of our 11+ Gb site contents.
                      > (Any higher than 25 and you may see connection errors).
                      Initially, I had it set for 30 and included the check for broken
                      external links, then I went down to 20, 10 and finally to 1 and
                      excluding external links. Each attempt gave the same results: Xenu
                      started off and appeared to be running, then the error I mentioned
                      quickly popped in and rendered the results useless. In my latest
                      attempts after my posting here, I got more outright "timeout" messages
                      along with the error code I previously mentioned.

                      Any other thoughts on why HostGator is being so troublesome right from
                      the start?

                      Marisa

                      > Chris
                      Thanks for your observations and suggestions. I will try again in a day
                      or two to see if perhaps I have been experiencing the month's end
                      traffic jams on HostGator server.

                      Marisa

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 30 1:59 AM
                        I scanned her whole site this WE with threads set to 1, later 2. That
                        took many hours, but it worked without trouble.

                        Theories about this:
                        - Maybe if one starts with "too many" threads, the client IP address is
                        "penalized" for some time, so it doesn't help lowering threads after
                        being "flagged" by the server firewall
                        - A change on her client side (many people do have a firewall in their
                        router; so do I, and initially it blocked Xenu from running)
                        - sysadmins are too often underqualified, underpaid and understaffed.
                        What you get then are people who just try to find a way to quickly close
                        tickets, instead of taking some time to research a problem.

                        Tilman