Use of Redirect option

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2005
      hi all,

      relatively late i have discovered a use of the redirect option in
      Xenu (under Preferences > Redirected URLs).

      sometimes broken links don't just return a 404 message, but redirect
      to a customised error message page, giving a 302 message to Xenu (so
      the link does not show up as broken in the report).

      checking the Redirected URLs box gives the following data in the
      (browser based) link report:

      http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/emea/eng/57933.htm
      redirected to: http://www.intel.com/notfound.htm;Invalid+Content+Item

      status code: 302 (object temporarily moved)
      linked from page(s):
      http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/emea/eng/66452.htm

      so the source page on which the broken link exists is perfectly
      listed!

      frank
    • Kevin & Kathaya
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 9, 2005
        Hi all

        I am currently running version 1.2g and still have a problem with Xenu
        recognising my javascript calls within my pages

        I am using the setting in the .ini file as recommended in one of the
        messages of:
        Javascript=[Jj]ava[Ss]cript: *[_a-zA-Z0-9]+ *\(
        *['"]((ftp://|https?://)[^'"]+)[' <ftp://|https?://)[^'> "]

        My javascript calls look like the following:
        javascript:popitup('../images/products/trigger4.jpg','Foot Switch Fire
        Button', 350,300)
        or
        javascript:popitup('images/products/trigger4.jpg','Foot Switch Fire Button',
        350,300)

        They dont start with http:// because we do the majority of our testing
        locally

        What I really need to know is how to change the regex expression so it will
        cope with the javascript calls I am using. I am really not too great with
        regex so any help would be REALLY appreciated to make this work right

        I had this working on a version at one stage but dont have details of the
        regex I was using and it is driving me crazy now trying to get this working
        to test a large local site before it goes live

        Many thanks

        Kevin

        _____

        relatively late i have discovered a use of the redirect option in
        Xenu (under Preferences > Redirected URLs).

        sometimes broken links don't just return a 404 message, but redirect
        to a customised error message page, giving a 302 message to Xenu (so
        the link does not show up as broken in the report).

        checking the Redirected URLs box gives the following data in the
        (browser based) link report:

        http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/emea/eng/57933.htm
        redirected to: http://www.intel.com/notfound.htm;Invalid+Content+Item

        status code: 302 (object temporarily moved)
        linked from page(s):
        http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/emea/eng/66452.htm

        so the source page on which the broken link exists is perfectly
        listed!

        frank

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Frank Visser
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 10, 2005
          Hi Kevin,

          You might try simplifying the regex so it does no longer restrict itself to
          URLs starting with http, ftp or /

          That restriction was added to avoid nonsensical URLs to be created by cases
          such as function('benchmark'), which Xenu then would try to validate as
          folder/folder/benchmark.

          Please also note that mailing a regex can make a mess out of the code: in
          the line below the line f t p : / / | h t t p s ? : / / ) [ ^ ' " occurs
          twice, the second time between brackets < . > That is introduced by the mail
          system used, so I am not sure what exactly you tried out. You can avoid it
          by adding spacers between the characters (in email communication, not in the
          regext itself of course ;-)

          The simplified regex would look like the example described here:

          http://members.chello.nl/f.visser3/xenu/6-handling-javascript.html#update1

          I am not sure the '../images case would ever work though. I believe the
          'images case will work, for Xenu can check relative URLs.

          Frank Visser, Waterpoortweg 279, 1051 pv, Amsterdam

          Author of: Ken Wilber: Thought as Passion SUNY 2003

          Read all about Ken Wilber : http:// <http://www.integralworld.net>
          www.integralworld.net

          _____