Re: [xenu-usergroup] Loads of False Error

  • Bruce Hartford
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 31, 2011
      Thanks, I tried your suggestion but no joy. I'm still getting a huge
      number of false "error code: 12007 (no such host)" errors. When I click
      on the URL of the supposedly unavailable site it pops right up.

      Bruce

      On 12/31/2011 2:17 AM, Tilman Hausherr wrote:
      > Try less threads. Also uncheck "fail all URLs of same failed host" in
      > the advanced options dialog.
      >
      > Tilman
      >
      > On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 13:25:14 -0800, Bruce Hartford wrote:
      >
      >> Using the Xenu 1.3.8 I'm getting a ton of false reports of broken links
      >> to external websites. They have error code 404 (not found), 12007 (no
      >> such host), 12029 (no connection). Yet when I click on the supposedly
      >> bad link in the HTML Broken Link Report, the page loads with no problem
      >> or delay. Over the past few weeks, I estimate that 95% of the supposedly
      >> broken links Xenu reports have actually been valid URLs.
      >>
      >> Any thoughts?
      >>
      >> Bruce

      Bruce Hartford
      Webspinner: Civil Rights Movement Veterans website http://www.crmvet.org
      Sojourner's Blog: http://ohfreedom.wordpress.com
    • Fischer, Thomas
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 3, 2012
        Hi Bruce,

        can you give examples of the URLs that are reported as failing while working when clicked? Xenu is pickier than browsers about "correct URLs", e.g. it will not follow erroneous relative paths and will regard directories without trailing slash as errors.

        All the best
        Thomas

        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 3, 2012
          Were these all the same host? (I.e. the part between http:// and the
          third / )

          Btw you also need to press CTRL-R to retry after making the changes I
          mentioned.

          Tilman

          Am 31.12.2011 22:23, schrieb Bruce Hartford:
          > Thanks, I tried your suggestion but no joy. I'm still getting a huge
          > number of false "error code: 12007 (no such host)" errors. When I click
          > on the URL of the supposedly unavailable site it pops right up.
          >
          > Bruce
          >

          > On 12/31/2011 2:17 AM, Tilman Hausherr wrote:
          >> Try less threads. Also uncheck "fail all URLs of same failed host" in
          >> the advanced options dialog.
          >>
          >> Tilman
          >>
          >> On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 13:25:14 -0800, Bruce Hartford wrote:
          >>
          >>> Using the Xenu 1.3.8 I'm getting a ton of false reports of broken links
          >>> to external websites. They have error code 404 (not found), 12007 (no
          >>> such host), 12029 (no connection). Yet when I click on the supposedly
          >>> bad link in the HTML Broken Link Report, the page loads with no problem
          >>> or delay. Over the past few weeks, I estimate that 95% of the supposedly
          >>> broken links Xenu reports have actually been valid URLs.
          >>>
          >>> Any thoughts?
          >>>
          >>> Bruce

        • Bruce Hartford
          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 3, 2012