Re: release candidate

  • Jonathan Crane
    Message 1 of 30 , May 17, 2011

      Tilman, mind if I ask you to post the changes to an email message to the group?

      Jonathan Crane

    • tarastockford
      Message 2 of 30 , May 18, 2011
        Hi Tilman

        The duplicates feature is useful, thanks. It would be good to have separate subheadings for duplicate content, duplicate titles and duplicate descriptions if possible, instead of them being all mixed together.

        The release candidate is working well for me so far.

        Thanks

        Tara
        Message 3 of 30 , May 18, 2011
          Hi Tara,

          While what you do write does make sense, the problem is that I should
          report dup titles only if the pages itself are not duplicates, i.e. it
          is all connected. So if I would seperate the three, I would have to do
          through my URL lists three times instead of just once, i.e. it would be
          even slower. For a website with 70000 URLs, the manager statistics
          currently take about 15 seconds. Sure, I could just write the segments
          into temporary files and then put it back together, but that would also
          be more work...

          So I'll keep this mail but wait if more people complain about that :-)

          I might also separate that part of the report from the manager section
          and create a "SEO fans" section...

          Tilman

          Message 4 of 30 , May 21, 2011
            ...And another.

            One guy had a seemingly minor bug in the report that showed that a
            change I made one year ago wasn't really good enough.

            The bug was about foreign characters on pages done with ISO-8859-1 (this
            is ANSI, sortof). If you have foreign characters in titles (even if you
            use UTF8), and especially in URLs, please try the current beta.

            Tilman

            On Mon, 16 May 2011 18:55:08 +0200, Tilman Hausherr wrote:

            >I hereby declare that todays beta is a release candidate.
            >http://home.snafu.de/tilman/tmp/xenubeta.zip
            >
            >Please support me by testing your website with it.
            >
            >I will probably release the 1.3.9 version at the end of the week.

          • Bruce Hartford
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 16, 2011
              Using the Xenu 1.3.8 I'm getting a ton of false reports of broken links
              to external websites. They have error code 404 (not found), 12007 (no
              such host), 12029 (no connection). Yet when I click on the supposedly
              bad link in the HTML Broken Link Report, the page loads with no problem
              or delay. Over the past few weeks, I estimate that 95% of the supposedly
              broken links Xenu reports have actually been valid URLs.

              Any thoughts?

              Bruce
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 31, 2011
                Try less threads. Also uncheck "fail all URLs of same failed host" in
                the advanced options dialog.

                Tilman

                On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 13:25:14 -0800, Bruce Hartford wrote:

                >Using the Xenu 1.3.8 I'm getting a ton of false reports of broken links
                >to external websites. They have error code 404 (not found), 12007 (no
                >such host), 12029 (no connection). Yet when I click on the supposedly
                >bad link in the HTML Broken Link Report, the page loads with no problem
                >or delay. Over the past few weeks, I estimate that 95% of the supposedly
                >broken links Xenu reports have actually been valid URLs.
                >
                >Any thoughts?
                >
                >Bruce

              • Bruce Hartford
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 31, 2011
                  Thanks, I tried your suggestion but no joy. I'm still getting a huge
                  number of false "error code: 12007 (no such host)" errors. When I click
                  on the URL of the supposedly unavailable site it pops right up.

                  Bruce

                  On 12/31/2011 2:17 AM, Tilman Hausherr wrote:
                  > Try less threads. Also uncheck "fail all URLs of same failed host" in
                  > the advanced options dialog.
                  >
                  > Tilman
                  >
                  > On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 13:25:14 -0800, Bruce Hartford wrote:
                  >
                  >> Using the Xenu 1.3.8 I'm getting a ton of false reports of broken links
                  >> to external websites. They have error code 404 (not found), 12007 (no
                  >> such host), 12029 (no connection). Yet when I click on the supposedly
                  >> bad link in the HTML Broken Link Report, the page loads with no problem
                  >> or delay. Over the past few weeks, I estimate that 95% of the supposedly
                  >> broken links Xenu reports have actually been valid URLs.
                  >>
                  >> Any thoughts?
                  >>
                  >> Bruce

                  Bruce Hartford
                  Webspinner: Civil Rights Movement Veterans website http://www.crmvet.org
                  Sojourner's Blog: http://ohfreedom.wordpress.com
                • Fischer, Thomas
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 3, 2012
                    Hi Bruce,

                    can you give examples of the URLs that are reported as failing while working when clicked? Xenu is pickier than browsers about "correct URLs", e.g. it will not follow erroneous relative paths and will regard directories without trailing slash as errors.

                    All the best
                    Thomas

                    Message 9 of 30 , Jan 3, 2012
                      Were these all the same host? (I.e. the part between http:// and the
                      third / )

                      Btw you also need to press CTRL-R to retry after making the changes I
                      mentioned.

                      Tilman

                      Am 31.12.2011 22:23, schrieb Bruce Hartford:
                      > Thanks, I tried your suggestion but no joy. I'm still getting a huge
                      > number of false "error code: 12007 (no such host)" errors. When I click
                      > on the URL of the supposedly unavailable site it pops right up.
                      >
                      > Bruce
                      >

                      > On 12/31/2011 2:17 AM, Tilman Hausherr wrote:
                      >> Try less threads. Also uncheck "fail all URLs of same failed host" in
                      >> the advanced options dialog.
                      >>
                      >> Tilman
                      >>
                      >> On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 13:25:14 -0800, Bruce Hartford wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> Using the Xenu 1.3.8 I'm getting a ton of false reports of broken links
                      >>> to external websites. They have error code 404 (not found), 12007 (no
                      >>> such host), 12029 (no connection). Yet when I click on the supposedly
                      >>> bad link in the HTML Broken Link Report, the page loads with no problem
                      >>> or delay. Over the past few weeks, I estimate that 95% of the supposedly
                      >>> broken links Xenu reports have actually been valid URLs.
                      >>>
                      >>> Any thoughts?
                      >>>
                      >>> Bruce

                    • Bruce Hartford
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jan 3, 2012