Trouble with traversing pages

  • C. Michael Warden
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2011
    Greetings,
        I've just moved into the group for my organization's website and have been tasked with coming up with a methodology for proactively finding problems with our website.  After looking at many products, I'm finding that Xenu Link Sleuth seems to be the best choice. However I'm running into an issue that if I am hopeful can be resolved.

        I'm trying to run a scan on an individual department's section of our website so that I can give that report to the webmaster for that department to be corrected.  When I ran the scan from the department's landing page ( http://www.co.marin.ca.us/depts/HR/Main/index.cfm ) I noticed that some of the sites pages were not being reached.  As an example, the scan I ran found http://www.co.marin.ca.us/depts/HR/ccvol/opngs.cfm but did not find http://www.co.marin.ca.us/depts/HR/ccvol/volinfo.cfm or http://www.co.marin.ca.us/depts/HR/ccvol/vol_reg1.asp, two links off of the opngs.cfm page.  For reference the text for the links on the opngs.cfm page are "Apply Online" and "Download Volunteer Application".  When I put the URL for the opngs.cfm page into Xenu as the starting page, the other two links are found easily.

        I'm running 5 threads and 8 levels deep.  The opngs.cfm page is at level 1 so there shouldn't be any problems with that.  I've tried running with 1 thread with the same result. I've also attached .XEN files for the two scans I've run. Any help would be very appreciated.

    Thanks!
    Michael

    Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2011
      On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 09:34:39 -0700 (PDT), C. Michael Warden wrote:

      >Greetings,
      > I've just moved into the group for my organization's website and have been
      >tasked with coming up with a methodology for proactively finding problems with
      >our website. After looking at many products, I'm finding that Xenu Link Sleuth
      >seems to be the best choice. However I'm running into an issue that if I am
      >hopeful can be resolved.
      >

      > I'm trying to run a scan on an individual department's section of our
      >website so that I can give that report to the webmaster for that department to
      >be corrected. When I ran the scan from the department's landing page (
      >http://www.co.marin.ca.us/depts/HR/Main/index.cfm ) I noticed that some of the
      >sites pages were not being reached. As an example, the scan I ran found
      >http://www.co.marin.ca.us/depts/HR/ccvol/opngs.cfm but did not find
      >http://www.co.marin.ca.us/depts/HR/ccvol/volinfo.cfm or
      >http://www.co.marin.ca.us/depts/HR/ccvol/vol_reg1.asp, two links off of the
      >opngs.cfm page. For reference the text for the links on the opngs.cfm page are
      >"Apply Online" and "Download Volunteer Application". When I put the URL for the
      >opngs.cfm page into Xenu as the starting page, the other two links are found
      >easily.

      Hi,

      The opngs.cfm page is already external to the root URL, that is why.
      Nothing is crawled from there. Only URLs that start with
      http://www.co.marin.ca.us/depts/HR/Main/ are internal.

      Solution:
      add
      http://www.co.marin.ca.us/depts/HR
      and also
      http://www.co.marin.ca.us/depts/hr
      as "internal" in the initial dialogbox.

      Tilman

      > I'm running 5 threads and 8 levels deep. The opngs.cfm page is at level 1
      >so there shouldn't be any problems with that. I've tried running with 1 thread
      >with the same result. I've also attached .XEN files for the two scans I've run.
      >Any help would be very appreciated.
      >
      >Thanks!
      >Michael

    • C. Michael Warden