"Empty URL" error in reports

  • synikull
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 23, 2011
      Hello!
      I was wondering what exactly "empty URL" meant on the reports. I currently have 7 of these. I've looked at the pages and there are no empty <a></a> tags; all of them have both an address and something inside the tags. Am I misunderstanding the meaning of empty URL or is this some sort of catchall?
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2011
        No its not a catchall. There's probably a <a href=""> or similar there.

        Tilman

        On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 14:38:24 -0000, synikull wrote:

        >Hello!
        >I was wondering what exactly "empty URL" meant on the reports. I currently have 7 of these. I've looked at the pages and there are no empty <a></a> tags; all of them have both an address and something inside the tags. Am I misunderstanding the meaning of empty URL or is this some sort of catchall?
      • mrchuck1115
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2011
          > No its not a catchall. There's probably a <a href=""> or similar there.

          Like synikull, I also have seen the empty URL reports. I examine the source code of the cited pages but can't find any missing references. What else should Iook for?

          --
          Charles

        • mrchuck1115
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 4, 2011
            --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@...> wrote:> No its not a catchall. There's probably a <a href=""> or similar there.

            I've been repairing a Website that generates several Empty URL reports. I have searched the HTML source code and found no empty references in the anchor tags.

            I did notice, though, that area of the page just before the Empty URL does not validate. That is, it doesn't comply to HTML standards. It pointed me to one Joomla extension. I have notified the author of that extension listing the errors his code. (Among other things, he put a background element in a table data tag.)

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 5, 2011
              Send me the HTML, and also a .XEN file of your session. (this will help
              finding after what existing link the empty url appears.

              If it isn't an intranet, you can simply send me the URL.

              If I get good examples, I will add them to the FAQ.

              It can of course also be an empty image link, an empty script link, or
              an empty page background link.

              Tilman ( tilman at snafu dot de )

              On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 17:05:19 -0000, mrchuck1115 <ygroups@...> wrote:

              > --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr
              <tilman@...> wrote:> No its not a catchall. There's probably a
              empty URL reports. I
              > examine the source code of the cited pages but can't find any missing
              > references. What else should Iook for?> On Wed, 23 Mar 2011
              14:38:24 -0000, synikull wrote:>I was wondering what exactly "empty
              URL" meant on the reports. I currently have 7 of these. I've looked at
              the pages and there are no empty <a></a> tags; all of them
              have both an address and something inside the tags. -- Charles

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 5, 2011
                Yes, background="" is an empty URL for Xenu.

                Tilman

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 6, 2011

                  > Yes, background="" is an empty URL for Xenu.
                  >
                  > Tilman

                  This fixed all but one of my errors. The last one has a lot of scripts for a slide-show like gallery, with the first image having an empty source (presumably due to the scripts). I think I'm going to just leave that one alone.