Xenu Broken links

  • imman victor
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 15, 2010
      Hi All,

      I am running xenu 1.3.8 on my website. xenu reports broken link in the website. But all the links are working fine in the browsers. Any idea on this.

      Thanks
      Victor.

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 15, 2010
        On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 02:43:36 +0530 (IST), imman victor wrote:

        >Hi All,
        >
        >I am running xenu 1.3.8 on my website. xenu reports broken link in the website. But all the links are working fine in the browsers. Any idea on this.

        See http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html , Nr. 20
      • imman victor
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 15, 2010
          Hi Tilman

          Thank you for the response.

          I read the link which you had pointed. Does the User Agent depends on the file extension. Because most of the broken links are .html links. The links with .jsp are working fine

          In my case, I have more than 516 link in the website. Few links are working and most of the links(.html) are not working. xenu is reporting 404 page not found error where all the broken links are working fine in browser.

          Please do help me in this

          Thanks in advance

          Regards
          Immanuel.

          On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 02:43:36 +0530 (IST), imman victor wrote:

          >Hi All,
          >
          >I am running xenu 1.3.8 on my website. xenu reports broken link in the website. But all the links are working fine in the browsers. Any idea on this.

          See http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html , Nr. 20

        • Fischer, Thomas
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 16, 2010
            Hi Immanuel,

            Xenu is stricter in checking and evaluating links than many browsers.
            E.g. it requires a slash at the end of a directory and will not tolerate links beyond the server base: a link like ../../my.html will not be accepted on a page http://www.myserver.com/mySite/.
            Try to look at the links the way they are contained in the source code and compare them to what the browser evaluates, probably there is a problem along these lines.

            Best
            Thomas

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 16, 2010

              Xenu doesn't care (or even know) how a page is created, whether its
              static or dynamic.

              But I had a look at the http traffic, after noticing that "faking" the
              user agent didn't help. The reason that Xenu doesn't work is because
              your HTML pages come with a 404 error even if they exist!!! Note also
              the Content-Length: 43295. This is really weird and not Xenu's fault.

              HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
              Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 17:48:15 GMT
              Server: Apache

              (... real html page here ...)