Re: Link Sleuth in Java

  • oteotd
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 10, 2010
      Pro for Client;

      Should the day come that you no longer choose to build xenu (ie you get tired of it) then the server edition would see the end of days. Sticking with the client edition if I read this correctly would allow the program to continue for at least a few years past it's final version.

      Case in point I use a non internet program that does not require a server. It has not been updated since January 2005. The program still runs flawless on XP and works well on Vista and Windows 7 including the local lan portion of the program.

      I would replace the program but the newer programs just don't have the features and this program does not appear to be a security risk even at it's age.

      --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "Vince Thacker" <vince@...> wrote:

      > As a blind user, could you please ensure that whatever you do Xenu remains
      > accessible to assistive technology? Even if it takes the tacky Java Access
      > Bridge to be installed, it can, on a clear day, be made to work. But the
      > Java needs to reveal output in the right way in the first place. What
      > exactly that means - well, sorry, life's too short!
      >
      > Vince.

    • Jan Hendrik
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 12, 2010
        Concerning [xenu-usergroup] Link Sleuth in Jav
        Carter, Kelly K. (MSFC-IS30)[ wrote on 12 Oct 2010, 9:54, at least in part:

        > My vote would be for Link Sleuth to remain implemented as a client.
        >
        > As you pointed out, a server version (that lived on your server) would
        > not be able to check (our) intranets. That would be a problem for us.

        Indeed. We check our websites on the local dev server, *before*
        broken links get uploaded to the public server. That prevents
        broken links from popping into the users' eye as much as possible
        and saves bandwidth into the bargain. The public server is
        checked only once in a while, mainly after certain modifications
        which may or may not work as expected on the public system
        (there is no such thing as a 100% identical system & environment
        for public and local/dev servers, so after all other test we make
        sure).

        > Thanks for a fantastic tool!

        Amen to that.

        JH
        ---------------------------------------
        Freedom quote:

        If we command our wealth, we shall be rich and free.
        If our wealth commands us, we are poor indeed.
        -- Edmund Burke
      • Rick Beton
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 12, 2010
          Hi All,

          I've used Xenu a lot in the past but more recently needed a version in Java, so I wrote one. Unfortunately, I've never had time to document and package it and make it easy for other people to download and use, but it seems to work well enough for me.

          It's been tucked away within another Sourceforge project for years now.  If you known a bit about compiling and running command-line Java apps, take a look at http://jftpsync.sourceforge.net/

          The relevant sub-branch of files is under http://jftpsync.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/jftpsync/trunk/src/uk/org/beton/jxenu/ and the app is called jxenu (what else?!)

          Perhaps we ought to make it more widely available.  Thoughts welcome.

          It is licensed using the LGPL.

          Regards,
          Rick Beton

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2010
            Please use a different name... one that doesn't have "xenu" in it,
            because this suggests I have something to do with it, which I haven't.

            I had a very, very quick look, without compiling it... Is this a pure
            command line software, i.e without a GUI?

            Tilman