Link Sleuth in Java

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 8, 2010
      I'm thinking about rewriting Xenu in a machine-independent language, and
      I think that Java is the best choice. I'm not saying that I will
      actually do it, so its not even vaporware at this time.

      The next question is: client or server (like LinkTiger)?

      Server:
      - dependent of server, i.e. of me
      - security issues for server
      - passwords would have to be uploaded on my server
      - cost for server bandwidth
      - cannot check intranets

      Client:
      - independent of me
      - dependent of client bandwith
      - retries as much as wanted
      - can check intranets

      Please tell me more arguments that are pro/against Client or Server.

      Tilman
    • Vince Thacker
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 9, 2010
        As a blind user, could you please ensure that whatever you do Xenu remains
        accessible to assistive technology? Even if it takes the tacky Java Access
        Bridge to be installed, it can, on a clear day, be made to work. But the
        Java needs to reveal output in the right way in the first place. What
        exactly that means - well, sorry, life's too short!

        Vince.

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 9, 2010
          On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 21:01:03 +0100, Vince Thacker wrote:

          >As a blind user, could you please ensure that whatever you do Xenu remains
          >accessible to assistive technology? Even if it takes the tacky Java Access
          >Bridge to be installed, it can, on a clear day, be made to work. But the
          >Java needs to reveal output in the right way in the first place. What
          >exactly that means - well, sorry, life's too short!

          Hi, your question suggests that the current Xenu is "accessible to
          assistive technology". I don't know how I made this possible. Probably,
          because I've not put much creativity in a fancy output, used only basic
          windows GUI elements, and concentrated on under-the-hood techniques.
          (The GUI has been mostly the same for 13 years now :-))

          If I ever make a java version, I will likely also use simple, easily
          available GUI elements.

          Tilman

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 9, 2010
            Yes, Xenu must use standard Windows controls, and not some fanciful
            interface. In other words, there's nothing stopping accessibility taking
            place. Amen to that!

            Vince

            > On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 21:01:03 +0100, Vince Thacker wrote:
            >
            >>As a blind user, could you please ensure that whatever you do Xenu remains
            >>accessible to assistive technology? Even if it takes the tacky Java Access
            >>Bridge to be installed, it can, on a clear day, be made to work. But the
            >>Java needs to reveal output in the right way in the first place. What
            >>exactly that means - well, sorry, life's too short!
            >
            > Hi, your question suggests that the current Xenu is "accessible to
            > assistive technology". I don't know how I made this possible. Probably,
            > because I've not put much creativity in a fancy output, used only basic
            > windows GUI elements, and concentrated on under-the-hood techniques.
            > (The GUI has been mostly the same for 13 years now :-))
            >
            > If I ever make a java version, I will likely also use simple, easily
            > available GUI elements.
            >
            > Tilman
            >
            >>Vince.

          • oteotd
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 10, 2010
              Pro for Client;

              Should the day come that you no longer choose to build xenu (ie you get tired of it) then the server edition would see the end of days. Sticking with the client edition if I read this correctly would allow the program to continue for at least a few years past it's final version.

              Case in point I use a non internet program that does not require a server. It has not been updated since January 2005. The program still runs flawless on XP and works well on Vista and Windows 7 including the local lan portion of the program.

              I would replace the program but the newer programs just don't have the features and this program does not appear to be a security risk even at it's age.

              --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "Vince Thacker" <vince@...> wrote:

              > As a blind user, could you please ensure that whatever you do Xenu remains
              > accessible to assistive technology? Even if it takes the tacky Java Access
              > Bridge to be installed, it can, on a clear day, be made to work. But the
              > Java needs to reveal output in the right way in the first place. What
              > exactly that means - well, sorry, life's too short!
              >
              > Vince.

            • Carter, Kelly K. (MSFC-IS30)[MITS]
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 12, 2010
                My vote would be for Link Sleuth to remain implemented as a client.

                As you pointed out, a server version (that lived on your server) would not be able to check (our) intranets.  That would be a problem for us.

                Thanks for a fantastic tool!

                Kelly

              • Jan Hendrik
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 12, 2010
                  Concerning [xenu-usergroup] Link Sleuth in Jav
                  Carter, Kelly K. (MSFC-IS30)[ wrote on 12 Oct 2010, 9:54, at least in part:

                  > My vote would be for Link Sleuth to remain implemented as a client.
                  >
                  > As you pointed out, a server version (that lived on your server) would
                  > not be able to check (our) intranets. That would be a problem for us.

                  Indeed. We check our websites on the local dev server, *before*
                  broken links get uploaded to the public server. That prevents
                  broken links from popping into the users' eye as much as possible
                  and saves bandwidth into the bargain. The public server is
                  checked only once in a while, mainly after certain modifications
                  which may or may not work as expected on the public system
                  (there is no such thing as a 100% identical system & environment
                  for public and local/dev servers, so after all other test we make
                  sure).

                  > Thanks for a fantastic tool!

                  Amen to that.

                  JH
                  ---------------------------------------
                  Freedom quote:

                  If we command our wealth, we shall be rich and free.
                  If our wealth commands us, we are poor indeed.
                  -- Edmund Burke
                • Rick Beton
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 12, 2010
                    Hi All,

                    I've used Xenu a lot in the past but more recently needed a version in Java, so I wrote one. Unfortunately, I've never had time to document and package it and make it easy for other people to download and use, but it seems to work well enough for me.

                    It's been tucked away within another Sourceforge project for years now.  If you known a bit about compiling and running command-line Java apps, take a look at http://jftpsync.sourceforge.net/

                    The relevant sub-branch of files is under http://jftpsync.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/jftpsync/trunk/src/uk/org/beton/jxenu/ and the app is called jxenu (what else?!)

                    Perhaps we ought to make it more widely available.  Thoughts welcome.

                    It is licensed using the LGPL.

                    Regards,
                    Rick Beton

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 3, 2010
                      Please use a different name... one that doesn't have "xenu" in it,
                      because this suggests I have something to do with it, which I haven't.

                      I had a very, very quick look, without compiling it... Is this a pure
                      command line software, i.e without a GUI?

                      Tilman