Re: [xenu-usergroup] Update Log

  • Shiner
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2010
      On 23/09/2010 00:30, oteotd wrote:

      Hi,

      I have a simple question. Over the past months even years I have been busy with projects which caused me to not do updates to programs that were not necessary to update.

      Anyway my question is simple. I have been using Xenu 1.2e for years. It appears to do everything I need it to do. Gives me the reports I need for a wopping 2 websites with not style sheets.

      So basically is there any reason for me to read through all of the messages looking for the history of updates? Is there really any reason to update to 1.3.8?

      That's all.
      Thanks

      I'd say yes, if only because you don't lose any functionality and you might gain some... And if you don't use the new functionality, nothing lost other than the time it takes to install it...
      Can't recall of the top of my head if there are any major bug fixes (doubt it), or if there are speed improvements (more likely).
      I'd update if only because of all the hard work Tilman puts in !!

      Just my $0.02

      Regards

      Chris
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2010
        This really depends on the people. I'd always recommend to update, even
        if you don't have CSS. There are a few security updates. Some make the
        report more confortable.

        A compromise would be this: if you have a second PC, e.g. notebook or
        netbook, run the latest version on your websites and look whether it
        provides something new in the report, or finds new broken links that it
        didn't find before.

        Tilman

        On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 23:30:45 -0000, oteotd wrote:

        >Hi,
        >
        >I have a simple question. Over the past months even years I have been busy with projects which caused me to not do updates to programs that were not necessary to update.
        >
        >Anyway my question is simple. I have been using Xenu 1.2e for years. It appears to do everything I need it to do. Gives me the reports I need for a wopping 2 websites with not style sheets.
        >
        >So basically is there any reason for me to read through all of the messages looking for the history of updates? Is there really any reason to update to 1.3.8?
        >
        >That's all.
        >Thanks

      • oteotd
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2010
          Thanks for the answer,

          This sounds good to me, at least I know that using the old version for now is ok. I will look into updating.

          I do have one more question, I have always just extracted the zip files in the past. Xenu now is an installer. When I install the update in one computer, at that point is it possible to just copy the Xenu file as in the past when you just unzipped it where you wanted it or is there more to Xenu now where files are located elsewhere? This would be great to know for future reinstalls or moving to a different machine.

          Thanks

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2010
            You can copy the files from the install dir. There's nothing extra. I
            did the install only because so many people were complaining about not
            having one. (Now many people are complaining about not having a
            "portable" version :-))

            Tilman