Re: [xenu-usergroup] Use of %40 in Mailto: href - problem finding

  • tOM Trottier
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 26, 2010
      Sunday, July 25, 2010 at 14:52
      re:Re: [xenu-usergroup] Use of %40 in …
      Tilman Hausherr <xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com>wrote…

      >On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 20:43:40 -0400, tOM Trottier wrote:
      >
      >>Thanks.
      >>
      >>1. Now the MX (mail eXchange server records) lookup is inconsistent or incorrect - some
      >>excerpts from exporting:
      >>
      >> mailto:tomgrab@... 12007 no such host 26-02 2 1 no MX records found for domain 'aol.com' 00:00.000 us-ascii
      >> mailto:ciweiser@... -3 skip type 04-06 3 1 00:00.000 utf-8
      >
      >>after several "retry broken links" with 5 simultaneous threads using broadband.
      >
      >Maybe your internet connection broke down temporarly? Or your firewall /
      >router intefering?

      Possibly, but shouldn't the Retry resolve this?

      There was no apparent breakdown while running.

      >I admit this is disturbing.
      >
      >So I made a small change, that when one mailto:user@... is set to
      >"skip type", all other mailto: URLs with that @... URLs are set
      >too. (Only those that are known at that time)

      This should probably be governed by the Option "Fail all URLs with the same failed host"
      (I hope this option doesn't apply to Retrys for any URL or maito:)

      >http://home.snafu.de/tilman/tmp/xenubeta.zip
      >
      >>All of the "no host found" domains are very big and popular ISPs.
      >>
      >>Most mailto links are listed as "skip type".
      >
      >This means the host was DNS-tested, but nothing more.

      >>2. I also think that the mailto status should be either "host found" or "no host found" rather
      >>than "skip type" now that xenu is looking up MX records.
      >
      >This is because I said "skip type" in the past. I kept this, because the
      >mailto's are not *really* fully tested.

      But this is misleading. You can test the Host, but not the Addressee part (these days).

      Why not change the message to accurately reflect the status, e.g.,
      "Addressee host exists" and "No such addressee host"

      >>5. The "Manager Reports" at the end are useful. Have you also thought of giving a report by
      >>page, e.g.:
      >
      >No, because this would be huge. "Managers" usually have sites with
      >thousands of html URLs. If you need a report for a page, just use
      >firefox and it will show you all this information by right-clicking on a
      >page.

      But this doesn't:
      - separate out shared (ie, possibly already loaded) from non-shared for site and page
      - show totals for each page of all files used
      - show totals for each page by type, e.g., GIF, JPG, CSS, JS, Java, Flash, ...

      It is icing on the cake - the main value is fixing broken links - but would provide useful
      information that Xenu already gathers along the way.

      You could make it optional and leave the default "off".

      I suppose this could be supported by generating a 2nd CSV file which has the page and each
      file used and letting the user do the DB programming using this file and the export file.

      tOM
      -- Absum! --
      tOM Trottier, +1 613 860-6633 Skype:Abacurial
      469 Ancaster Ave, Ottawa, ON K2B 5B6 Canada
      http://Information.Architecture.Abacurial.com
      Do you really need to print this email?
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 27, 2010
        On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 16:41:49 -0400, tOM Trottier wrote:

        >Sunday, July 25, 2010 at 14:52
        > re:Re: [xenu-usergroup] Use of %40 in …
        >Tilman Hausherr <xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com>wrote…
        >
        >>On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 20:43:40 -0400, tOM Trottier wrote:
        >>
        >>>Thanks.
        >>>
        >>>1. Now the MX (mail eXchange server records) lookup is inconsistent or incorrect - some
        >>>excerpts from exporting:
        >>>
        >>> mailto:tomgrab@... 12007 no such host 26-02 2 1 no MX records found for domain 'aol.com' 00:00.000 us-ascii
        >>> mailto:ciweiser@... -3 skip type 04-06 3 1 00:00.000 utf-8
        >>
        >>>after several "retry broken links" with 5 simultaneous threads using broadband.
        >>
        >>Maybe your internet connection broke down temporarly? Or your firewall /
        >>router intefering?
        >
        >Possibly, but shouldn't the Retry resolve this?

        Yes, it should run some automatic retries.

        >There was no apparent breakdown while running.

        I can't really comment... I had no problems with your website, even
        before the change.

        >>I admit this is disturbing.
        >>
        >>So I made a small change, that when one mailto:user@... is set to
        >>"skip type", all other mailto: URLs with that @... URLs are set
        >>too. (Only those that are known at that time)
        >
        >This should probably be governed by the Option "Fail all URLs with the same failed host"

        First, that one is for fails. My change deals with successes.

        Yes, the "Fail all URLs with the same failed host" feature it should
        fail all mailto URLs, but it doesn't, because from the way it is
        programmed it works only for http and ftp URLs. I'll change the text in
        the dialogbox.

        >(I hope this option doesn't apply to Retrys for any URL or maito:)
        >
        >>http://home.snafu.de/tilman/tmp/xenubeta.zip
        >>
        >>>All of the "no host found" domains are very big and popular ISPs.
        >>>
        >>>Most mailto links are listed as "skip type".
        >>
        >>This means the host was DNS-tested, but nothing more.
        >
        >>>2. I also think that the mailto status should be either "host found" or "no host found" rather
        >>>than "skip type" now that xenu is looking up MX records.
        >>
        >>This is because I said "skip type" in the past. I kept this, because the
        >>mailto's are not *really* fully tested.
        >
        >But this is misleading. You can test the Host, but not the Addressee part (these days).
        >
        >Why not change the message to accurately reflect the status, e.g.,
        >"Addressee host exists" and "No such addressee host"

        I made a small change, so that you get "mail host ok" instead of "skip
        type", in an almost-green color. Please test it again with your website.

        >>>5. The "Manager Reports" at the end are useful. Have you also thought of giving a report by
        >>>page, e.g.:
        >>
        >>No, because this would be huge. "Managers" usually have sites with
        >>thousands of html URLs. If you need a report for a page, just use
        >>firefox and it will show you all this information by right-clicking on a
        >>page.
        >
        >But this doesn't:
        > - separate out shared (ie, possibly already loaded) from non-shared for site and page
        > - show totals for each page of all files used
        > - show totals for each page by type, e.g., GIF, JPG, CSS, JS, Java, Flash, ...
        >
        >It is icing on the cake - the main value is fixing broken links - but would provide useful
        >information that Xenu already gathers along the way.

        I'm not really an "icing on the cake" guy.

        >You could make it optional and leave the default "off".
        >
        >I suppose this could be supported by generating a 2nd CSV file which has the page and each
        >file used and letting the user do the DB programming using this file and the export file.

        Maybe some day I'll do an option to upload all my stuff to a database.

        Tilman

        >tOM
        >-- Absum! --
        >tOM Trottier, +1 613 860-6633 Skype:Abacurial
        >469 Ancaster Ave, Ottawa, ON K2B 5B6 Canada
        >http://Information.Architecture.Abacurial.com
        >Do you really need to print this email?

      • Jack Stringer
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 27, 2010
          Is there a way to get Xenu to check the image files that in use on the
          site against a list found either locally or via FTP.

          I ask only because I have to admin a online shop and I can see the image
          folder getting bigger and bigger. I would like to keep a tab on this and
          delete older unused images.

          Jack Stringer
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 27, 2010
            On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 22:05:46 +0100, Jack Stringer wrote:

            >Is there a way to get Xenu to check the image files that in use on the
            >site against a list found either locally or via FTP.

            Sure, have you tried the orphan search when the report is launched?
            However this requires that the whole site is searched first. Use a very
            low # (possible as low as 1) of threads so that the online shop doesn't
            get or down. Also, save your work, in case you have questions later.
            And, to be careful, if you delete something, ask the shop owner first
            if, from his memory, these images are indeed no longer used for any
            products.

            Tilman