Re: [xenu-usergroup] Use of %40 in Mailto: href - problem finding

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 25, 2010
      On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 20:43:40 -0400, tOM Trottier wrote:

      >Thanks.
      >
      >1. Now the MX (mail eXchange server records) lookup is inconsistent or incorrect - some
      >excerpts from exporting:
      >
      > mailto:tomgrab@... 12007 no such host 26-02 2 1 no MX records found for domain 'aol.com' 00:00.000 us-ascii
      > mailto:ciweiser@... -3 skip type 04-06 3 1 00:00.000 utf-8

      >after several "retry broken links" with 5 simultaneous threads using broadband.

      Maybe your internet connection broke down temporarly? Or your firewall /
      router intefering?

      I admit this is disturbing.

      So I made a small change, that when one mailto:user@... is set to
      "skip type", all other mailto: URLs with that @... URLs are set
      too. (Only those that are known at that time)

      >All of the "no host found" domains are very big and popular ISPs.
      >
      >Most mailto links are listed as "skip type".

      This means the host was DNS-tested, but nothing more.

      >2. I also think that the mailto status should be either "host found" or "no host found" rather
      >than "skip type" now that xenu is looking up MX records.

      This is because I said "skip type" in the past. I kept this, because the
      mailto's are not *really* fully tested.

      >3. Also, I got an "Ambiguous" status for
      >http://userpages.chorus.net/sfuhrman/u149Regional2009HarrisMI.pdf
      >Shouldn't it be a 404?

      Tell this to the webmaster. When I click on that link, I get this:

      ===
      Multiple Choices
      The document name you requested (/sfuhrman/u149Regional2009HarrisMI.pdf)
      could not be found on this server. However, we found documents with
      names similar to the one you requested.

      Available documents:
      /sfuhrman/u149Regional2009HarrisMI.htm (common basename)
      Apache/2.0.59 (Unix) PHP/4.4.7 Server at userpages.chorus.net Port 80
      ===

      >4. Will you continue to use "skip type" for News: links?

      yes

      >5. The "Manager Reports" at the end are useful. Have you also thought of giving a report by
      >page, e.g.:

      No, because this would be huge. "Managers" usually have sites with
      thousands of html URLs. If you need a report for a page, just use
      firefox and it will show you all this information by right-clicking on a
      page.

      Tilman

      > URL
      > all linked files
      >Pagesize
      > Frames
      >
      > text/css
      >
      > application/x-
      > javascript
      > image/gif
      > image/jpeg
      >

      >text/html
      >Shared
      >nonShared
      >Shared
      >nonShared
      >Shared
      >nonShared
      >Shared
      >nonShared
      >Shared
      >nonShared
      >
      >abc.com/index.htm
      > 13,574
      > 1,234
      > 1,234
      > 1,234
      > 1,234
      > 1,234
      > 1,234
      > 1,234
      > 1,234
      > 1,234
      > 1,234
      > 1,234
      >

      >Where "shared" means that that 2+ files in the run used it. I suppose you could also include
      >Java, flash, Silverlight …
      >
      >By the way, thanks for a great, fast, efficient and very nice program, as well as a quick fix.
      >
      >Peace, tOM Trottier
      >
      >Saturday, July 24, 2010 at 10:52
      > re:Re: [xenu-usergroup] Use of %40 in …
      >Tilman Hausherr <xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com>wrote…
      >
      >>fixed:
      >>http://home.snafu.de/tilman/tmp/xenubeta.zip
      >>

      >>Tilman
      >>

      >>On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 19:44:49 -0400, tOM Trottier wrote:
      >>
      >>>1. I've replaced the "@" with %40 in all my email addresses on this site (to reduce spamming),
      >>>but I get these errors with all my mailto's:
      >>>
      >>> mailto:@bridgekingston@...
      >>> error code: 12007 (no such host), linked from page(s):
      >>> http://www.racentre.com/e/clubs/radbc/ScheduleAndResults.html
      >>>
      >>>the source was:
      >>>
      >>>(I do appreciate the MX host checking - if it worked...)
      >>
      >>I will investigate this.
      >>

      >>>2. It would be nice to have an emergency "STOP" button
      >>>
      >>>and/or pause button
      >>
      >>Both are already available on the toolbar. Both look exactly like on a
      >>VCR. The tooltips text says "pause" and "stop it hard". I might change
      >>the second one in "emergency stop" and maybe even use a stop sign if I
      >>find one in toolbar size.
      >>
      >>Tilman
      >>

      >>>for when you forget to change your options/preferences or includes/excludes for the particular
      >>>URL and Xenu is merrily churning away wasting time and bandwidth.
      >>>
      >>>tOM
      >>>
      >>>-- Absum! --
      >>>
      >>> tOM Trottier +1 613 860-6633
      >>> tOM@... Skype:Abacurial
      >>> 469 Ancaster Ave, Ottawa, ON K2B 5B6 Canada
      >>> http://Information.Architecture.Abacurial.com
      >>> P Est-ce c'est necessaire d'imprimer ce courriel ?
      >>> Do you really need to print this email?
      >>>
      >>>PUBLIC NOTICE: Any use of this message, in any manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the universe.
      >>>Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat death of the
      >>>universe.

      >-- Absum! --
      >
      > tOM Trottier +1 613 860-6633
      > tOM@... Skype:Abacurial
      > 469 Ancaster Ave, Ottawa, ON K2B 5B6 Canada
      > http://Information.Architecture.Abacurial.com
      > P Est-ce c'est necessaire d'imprimer ce courriel ?
      > Do you really need to print this email?
      >
      >PUBLIC NOTICE: Any use of this message, in any manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of disorder in the universe.
      >Although no liability is implied herein, the consumer is warned that this process will ultimately lead to the heat death of the
      >universe.
    • tOM Trottier
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 26, 2010
        Sunday, July 25, 2010 at 14:52
        re:Re: [xenu-usergroup] Use of %40 in …
        Tilman Hausherr <xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com>wrote…

        >On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 20:43:40 -0400, tOM Trottier wrote:
        >
        >>Thanks.
        >>
        >>1. Now the MX (mail eXchange server records) lookup is inconsistent or incorrect - some
        >>excerpts from exporting:
        >>
        >> mailto:tomgrab@... 12007 no such host 26-02 2 1 no MX records found for domain 'aol.com' 00:00.000 us-ascii
        >> mailto:ciweiser@... -3 skip type 04-06 3 1 00:00.000 utf-8
        >
        >>after several "retry broken links" with 5 simultaneous threads using broadband.
        >
        >Maybe your internet connection broke down temporarly? Or your firewall /
        >router intefering?

        Possibly, but shouldn't the Retry resolve this?

        There was no apparent breakdown while running.

        >I admit this is disturbing.
        >
        >So I made a small change, that when one mailto:user@... is set to
        >"skip type", all other mailto: URLs with that @... URLs are set
        >too. (Only those that are known at that time)

        This should probably be governed by the Option "Fail all URLs with the same failed host"
        (I hope this option doesn't apply to Retrys for any URL or maito:)

        >http://home.snafu.de/tilman/tmp/xenubeta.zip
        >
        >>All of the "no host found" domains are very big and popular ISPs.
        >>
        >>Most mailto links are listed as "skip type".
        >
        >This means the host was DNS-tested, but nothing more.

        >>2. I also think that the mailto status should be either "host found" or "no host found" rather
        >>than "skip type" now that xenu is looking up MX records.
        >
        >This is because I said "skip type" in the past. I kept this, because the
        >mailto's are not *really* fully tested.

        But this is misleading. You can test the Host, but not the Addressee part (these days).

        Why not change the message to accurately reflect the status, e.g.,
        "Addressee host exists" and "No such addressee host"

        >>5. The "Manager Reports" at the end are useful. Have you also thought of giving a report by
        >>page, e.g.:
        >
        >No, because this would be huge. "Managers" usually have sites with
        >thousands of html URLs. If you need a report for a page, just use
        >firefox and it will show you all this information by right-clicking on a
        >page.

        But this doesn't:
        - separate out shared (ie, possibly already loaded) from non-shared for site and page
        - show totals for each page of all files used
        - show totals for each page by type, e.g., GIF, JPG, CSS, JS, Java, Flash, ...

        It is icing on the cake - the main value is fixing broken links - but would provide useful
        information that Xenu already gathers along the way.

        You could make it optional and leave the default "off".

        I suppose this could be supported by generating a 2nd CSV file which has the page and each
        file used and letting the user do the DB programming using this file and the export file.

        tOM
        -- Absum! --
        tOM Trottier, +1 613 860-6633 Skype:Abacurial
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 27, 2010
          On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 16:41:49 -0400, tOM Trottier wrote:

          >Sunday, July 25, 2010 at 14:52
          > re:Re: [xenu-usergroup] Use of %40 in …
          >Tilman Hausherr <xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com>wrote…
          >
          >>On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 20:43:40 -0400, tOM Trottier wrote:
          >>
          >>>Thanks.
          >>>
          >>>1. Now the MX (mail eXchange server records) lookup is inconsistent or incorrect - some
          >>>excerpts from exporting:
          >>>
          >>> mailto:tomgrab@... 12007 no such host 26-02 2 1 no MX records found for domain 'aol.com' 00:00.000 us-ascii
          >>> mailto:ciweiser@... -3 skip type 04-06 3 1 00:00.000 utf-8
          >>
          >>>after several "retry broken links" with 5 simultaneous threads using broadband.
          >>
          >>Maybe your internet connection broke down temporarly? Or your firewall /
          >>router intefering?
          >
          >Possibly, but shouldn't the Retry resolve this?

          Yes, it should run some automatic retries.

          >There was no apparent breakdown while running.

          I can't really comment... I had no problems with your website, even
          before the change.

          >>I admit this is disturbing.
          >>
          >>So I made a small change, that when one mailto:user@... is set to
          >>"skip type", all other mailto: URLs with that @... URLs are set
          >>too. (Only those that are known at that time)
          >
          >This should probably be governed by the Option "Fail all URLs with the same failed host"

          First, that one is for fails. My change deals with successes.

          Yes, the "Fail all URLs with the same failed host" feature it should
          fail all mailto URLs, but it doesn't, because from the way it is
          programmed it works only for http and ftp URLs. I'll change the text in
          the dialogbox.

          >(I hope this option doesn't apply to Retrys for any URL or maito:)
          >
          >>http://home.snafu.de/tilman/tmp/xenubeta.zip
          >>
          >>>All of the "no host found" domains are very big and popular ISPs.
          >>>
          >>>Most mailto links are listed as "skip type".
          >>
          >>This means the host was DNS-tested, but nothing more.
          >
          >>>2. I also think that the mailto status should be either "host found" or "no host found" rather
          >>>than "skip type" now that xenu is looking up MX records.
          >>
          >>This is because I said "skip type" in the past. I kept this, because the
          >>mailto's are not *really* fully tested.
          >
          >But this is misleading. You can test the Host, but not the Addressee part (these days).
          >
          >Why not change the message to accurately reflect the status, e.g.,
          >"Addressee host exists" and "No such addressee host"

          I made a small change, so that you get "mail host ok" instead of "skip
          type", in an almost-green color. Please test it again with your website.

          >>>5. The "Manager Reports" at the end are useful. Have you also thought of giving a report by
          >>>page, e.g.:
          >>
          >>No, because this would be huge. "Managers" usually have sites with
          >>thousands of html URLs. If you need a report for a page, just use
          >>firefox and it will show you all this information by right-clicking on a
          >>page.
          >
          >But this doesn't:
          > - separate out shared (ie, possibly already loaded) from non-shared for site and page
          > - show totals for each page of all files used
          > - show totals for each page by type, e.g., GIF, JPG, CSS, JS, Java, Flash, ...
          >
          >It is icing on the cake - the main value is fixing broken links - but would provide useful
          >information that Xenu already gathers along the way.

          I'm not really an "icing on the cake" guy.

          >You could make it optional and leave the default "off".
          >
          >I suppose this could be supported by generating a 2nd CSV file which has the page and each
          >file used and letting the user do the DB programming using this file and the export file.

          Maybe some day I'll do an option to upload all my stuff to a database.

          Tilman

          >tOM
          >-- Absum! --
          >tOM Trottier, +1 613 860-6633 Skype:Abacurial
          >469 Ancaster Ave, Ottawa, ON K2B 5B6 Canada
          >http://Information.Architecture.Abacurial.com
          >Do you really need to print this email?

        • Jack Stringer
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 27, 2010
            Is there a way to get Xenu to check the image files that in use on the
            site against a list found either locally or via FTP.

            I ask only because I have to admin a online shop and I can see the image
            folder getting bigger and bigger. I would like to keep a tab on this and
            delete older unused images.

            Jack Stringer
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 27, 2010
              On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 22:05:46 +0100, Jack Stringer wrote:

              >Is there a way to get Xenu to check the image files that in use on the
              >site against a list found either locally or via FTP.

              Sure, have you tried the orphan search when the report is launched?
              However this requires that the whole site is searched first. Use a very
              low # (possible as low as 1) of threads so that the online shop doesn't
              get or down. Also, save your work, in case you have questions later.
              And, to be careful, if you delete something, ask the shop owner first
              if, from his memory, these images are indeed no longer used for any
              products.

              Tilman