charset=unicode

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 23, 2010
      This web page
      http://www.aotc.net/Chronology.htm

      has this HTML

      My software / Windows considers "unicode" to be CP1200, which would be
      fixed 16bit characters, but the page is obviously made of 8 bit
      characters.

      Firefox claims that it is ISO-8859-1. ("show page properties")

      is the statement charset=unicode correct, does it make any sense?

      Does firefox assume ISO-8859-1 because unicode does not make any sense?

      Tilman
    • daniel norton, teeny tiny websites
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 23, 2010
        On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 5:40 AM, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@...> wrote:
        is the statement charset=unicode correct, does it make any sense?

        For this field, there is no such charset as "unicode", so, no, it doesn't make any sense. Here are the valid values for charset:

        > Does firefox assume ISO-8859-1 because unicode does not make any sense?

        Firefox probably makes its best guess at the character set. I don't know how, they might do that, but one method is probably shown in the Mozilla source library.

        --
        Daniel

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 25 1:47 PM
          I've started a partial check of mail addresses. The current beta
          will check the domains of mail addresses (the part after the "@"). Xenu
          makes a DNS request for MX records.

          If Xenu can't find the file DNSAPI.DLL, it will check nothing. If Xenu
          cannot find a host or an MX record for it, it will report the error "no
          such host". If Xenu does find an MX record, it will output "skip type"
          as usual.

          Thus, the new version will only find broken domains of mail addresses.
          It doesn't check whether the user exists. The reason is that I doubt
          that there is an exact check. (For obvious reason: it would help
          spammers)