mailto: subject bug

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2010

      For those of you who are annoyed of the bug with mail URLs of the kind

      mailto:user@...?subject=xxx

      there's a new version that solves it:

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 13, 2010
        It seems that there's a bug in my software with links like this one:

        <a
        href="http://www.dctp.tv/#/meinungsmacher/udo-vetter-lawblog">interview</a>

        I just throw away everything after the #, so I would spider to
        http://www.dctp.tv/ , which shows a different content.

        Does anybody know the meaning of a # that appears "deep inside" an URL,
        and what would the correct logic to differentiate it from the classic
        '#' as explained in
        http://www.w3.org/Addressing/URL/uri-spec.html ? Could it be "it doesn't
        count if the '#' is before a '/'" ?

        If so, what about this URL
        http://www.ftd.de/auto/bilder/:galerie-die-fiatisierung-von-chrysler/50059172.html#utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss_feed&utm_campaign=/
        where the content is identical to this URL
        http://www.ftd.de/auto/bilder/:galerie-die-fiatisierung-von-chrysler/50059172.html
        ?

        Tilman
      • Daniel Norton
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 13, 2010
          That's not a bug in your software, it's a bug in the website. The hash sign (#) in a URI is a reserved character and a URI with a hash sign (#) should retrieve the same document as the URI without the hash sign and everything following it (the fragment identifier). From RFC 3986 (highlight added):

          4.4 Same-Document Reference

          When a URI reference refers to a URI that is, aside from its fragment component (if any), identical to the base URI (Section 5.1), that reference is called a "same-document" reference. The most frequent examples of same-document references are relative references that are empty or include only the number sign ("#") separator followed by a fragment identifier.

          When a same-document reference is dereferenced for a retrieval action, the target of that reference is defined to be within the same entity (representation, document, or message) as the reference; therefore, a dereference should not result in a new retrieval action.

          The specification does not provide for any exceptions for characters (such as "/") after the hash mark, so they must be considered to be part of the fragment identifier. The W3 document you referenced concurs.

          --
          Daniel