Re: [xenu-usergroup] Question about my Xenu results

  • Shiner
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009
      Kim,

      Just had another thought....

      In your Wordpress control panel under the Privacy Settings, what do you have set for Blog Visability.
      You might have to have it set to the 1st option (the 2nd option is default).

      The first option being: "I would like my blog to be visible to everyone, including search engines (like Google, Sphere, Technorati) and archivers"

      WordPress will redirect all enquiries to non-accessable pages to the temp page (hence the 302 redirect).
      This happens when a crawler is denied access (such as Xenu) and/or the page is blocked to a members only page (in which case the user is redirected to the login page).

      Regards

      Chris

      KWhite wrote:

      Thanks, Tony. I’m not sure what the exact file name is though, because it’s a WordPress site. Can tell me how to find the file name?

      Or maybe it’s a permalink issue?

      I did have a bad .htaccess file that I deleted before this happened.

      Also, it’s hosted on GoDaddy, and I built some 301 redirects in their system for a /blog page that is now /blog-make-a- slideshow.

      This is all the info I can think to give you, but please let me know if there is something else I can tell you that will help you help me ;)

      Kim

      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009
        That's how WordPress works when you use the Permalink structure option.
        What you say would be true if the URL's did not have the trailing slash, but you'll note that they all end with / which IRC indicates that it is not a directory, but a file.

        So
        http://fauxflix.com/blog-make-a-slideshow/
        indicates a file
        where as
        http://fauxflix.com/blog-make-a-slideshow
        would indicate a directory

        So the file structure it is returning is correct, it is her .htaccess (via settings on her WordPress dashboard) which is causing the server to return not founds when in fact they do exist.

        Regards

        Chris

        tOM Trottier wrote:

        Your links all go to directories.

        Change them to go to the actual files rather than the default, e.g.,
        index.htm, index.html, index.php or whatever you are using.

        See http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Webserver_ directory_ index

        tOM

        -- Absum! --
        tOM Trottier, +1 613 860-6633
        469 Ancaster Ave, Ottawa, ON K2B 5B6 Canada
        http://Information. Architecture. Abacurial. com
        Est-ce c'est necessaire d'imprimer ce courriel?
        Do you really need to print this email?

      • Shiner

          Hello, I am wondering if someone can tell me why Xenu sees all of my main pages as broken links? My links actually work, but Xenu reports them as broken, so I am worried there is something wrong with the site structure. My site is fauxflix.com.

          Thanks!

        • KWhite
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009
          • Shiner
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009
              If you can't find your old .htaccess file, download and install the WP Super Cache plugin and that "should" create a new .htaccess for you.  (Never tried that before, but I know it does create a new .htaccess file)

              Chris

              KWhite wrote:

              Okay, did the following:

              Deleted all my redirects (didn’t work)

              Checked privacy settings, and they are set to be visible to everyone

              I don’t currently have an .htaccess file, so I am looking in history for the last one that worked to restore it.

              (So far, my .htaccess has been the source of most of my aggravation. )

              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009