RE: [xenu-usergroup] Question about my Xenu results

  • KWhite
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009
    • KWhite
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009
      • Tony Zampini
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009
          Kim,
          Try running Xenu with the following URL:

          Very interesting result...

          Tony

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009
            My site uses .php files and Xenu works fine.

            Tilman's idea of looking at the logs might shed some light
            as to why certain page requests were rejected by your web server.

            Tony

            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009
              Your links all go to directories.

              Change them to go to the actual files rather than the default, e.g.,
              index.htm, index.html, index.php or whatever you are using.

              See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webserver_directory_index

              tOM

              -- Absum! --
              tOM Trottier, +1 613 860-6633
              469 Ancaster Ave, Ottawa, ON K2B 5B6 Canada
              http://Information.Architecture.Abacurial.com
              Est-ce c'est necessaire d'imprimer ce courriel?
              Do you really need to print this email?
            • Shiner
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009
                Did you put back the WordPress .htaccess defaults?
                This is especially required if you have changed the permalink structure of your site to use a 'certain' types of link structure.
                Also, do you use the WP Super Cache plugin which again, also requires the use of some modifications to your .htaccess.

                The WP Super Cache plugin also has some settings for handling different 'user agents' which might effect how it handles a Xenu crawl.
                Depending on whether you are using the WP Super Cache plugin, there could be up to 2 .htaccess files required for WP to function correctly.

                Regards

                Chris

                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009
                  Kim,

                  Just had another thought....

                  In your Wordpress control panel under the Privacy Settings, what do you have set for Blog Visability.
                  You might have to have it set to the 1st option (the 2nd option is default).

                  The first option being: "I would like my blog to be visible to everyone, including search engines (like Google, Sphere, Technorati) and archivers"

                  WordPress will redirect all enquiries to non-accessable pages to the temp page (hence the 302 redirect).
                  This happens when a crawler is denied access (such as Xenu) and/or the page is blocked to a members only page (in which case the user is redirected to the login page).

                  Regards

                  Chris

                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009
                    That's how WordPress works when you use the Permalink structure option.
                    What you say would be true if the URL's did not have the trailing slash, but you'll note that they all end with / which IRC indicates that it is not a directory, but a file.

                    So
                    http://fauxflix.com/blog-make-a-slideshow/
                    indicates a file
                    where as
                    http://fauxflix.com/blog-make-a-slideshow
                    would indicate a directory

                    So the file structure it is returning is correct, it is her .htaccess (via settings on her WordPress dashboard) which is causing the server to return not founds when in fact they do exist.

                    Regards

                    Chris

                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009
                      • Shiner
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009
                          If you can't find your old .htaccess file, download and install the WP Super Cache plugin and that "should" create a new .htaccess for you.  (Never tried that before, but I know it does create a new .htaccess file)

                          Chris

                          KWhite wrote:

                          Okay, did the following:

                          Deleted all my redirects (didn’t work)

                          Checked privacy settings, and they are set to be visible to everyone

                          I don’t currently have an .htaccess file, so I am looking in history for the last one that worked to restore it.

                          (So far, my .htaccess has been the source of most of my aggravation. )

                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009