Question about my Xenu results

  • KWhite
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009

      Hello, I am wondering if someone can tell me why Xenu sees all of my main pages as broken links? My links actually work, but Xenu reports them as broken, so I am worried there is something wrong with the site structure. My site is fauxflix.com.

      Thanks!

    • AL Guevara
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009
        RE: [xenu-usergroup] Question about my Xenu results

        Hello, I am wondering if someone can tell me why Xenu sees all of my main pages as broken links? My links actually work, but Xenu reports them as broken, so I am worried there is something wrong with the site structure. My site is fauxflix.com.

        Thanks!

      • Tony Zampini
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009

          I ran your website through Xenu and I see what you mean. Not sure
          exactly what's going on, but I noticed that all the failed links do not
          specify a target file, they only specify a directory. Perhaps Xenu
          doesn't recognize the extension of the default filename for each of those
          pages.

          What is the actual file name extension of one of those files. I'll try it
          on my website and see if Xenu has trouble with it.

          Tony

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009
              Its weird indeed... look into the logfiles of your server. I suspect
              that the server doesn't like the Xenu user agent, sometimes.

              Tilman

              On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 10:42:05 -0700, KWhite wrote:

              >Hello, I am wondering if someone can tell me why Xenu sees all of my
              >main pages as broken links? My links actually work, but Xenu reports
              >them as broken, so I am worried there is something wrong with the site
              >structure. My site is fauxflix.com.
              >
              >Thanks!
            • KWhite
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009
              • Tony Zampini
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009
                  Kim,
                  You should have some sort of File Viewer to look at the files on your site.
                  This would be through a control panel of some sort on GoDaddy (I don't use GoDaddy,
                  so I don't know the exact way they do it).

                  I'd be interested in knowing what file types (extensions) are in the failing directories.

                  Tony

                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009
                  • Tony Zampini
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009
                      Kim,
                      Try running Xenu with the following URL:

                      Very interesting result...

                      Tony

                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009
                        My site uses .php files and Xenu works fine.

                        Tilman's idea of looking at the logs might shed some light
                        as to why certain page requests were rejected by your web server.

                        Tony

                        Hey Tony, I guess they are .php files. They are created by my WordPress theme, and I believe they are all delivered up via css and php. I can’t see the actual pages in my file manager. Sorry, that’s all I know!

                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009
                          Your links all go to directories.

                          Change them to go to the actual files rather than the default, e.g.,
                          index.htm, index.html, index.php or whatever you are using.

                          See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webserver_directory_index

                          tOM

                          -- Absum! --
                          tOM Trottier, +1 613 860-6633
                          469 Ancaster Ave, Ottawa, ON K2B 5B6 Canada
                          http://Information.Architecture.Abacurial.com
                          Est-ce c'est necessaire d'imprimer ce courriel?
                          Do you really need to print this email?
                        • Shiner
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009
                            Did you put back the WordPress .htaccess defaults?
                            This is especially required if you have changed the permalink structure of your site to use a 'certain' types of link structure.
                            Also, do you use the WP Super Cache plugin which again, also requires the use of some modifications to your .htaccess.

                            The WP Super Cache plugin also has some settings for handling different 'user agents' which might effect how it handles a Xenu crawl.
                            Depending on whether you are using the WP Super Cache plugin, there could be up to 2 .htaccess files required for WP to function correctly.

                            Regards

                            Chris

                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009
                              Kim,

                              Just had another thought....

                              In your Wordpress control panel under the Privacy Settings, what do you have set for Blog Visability.
                              You might have to have it set to the 1st option (the 2nd option is default).

                              The first option being: "I would like my blog to be visible to everyone, including search engines (like Google, Sphere, Technorati) and archivers"

                              WordPress will redirect all enquiries to non-accessable pages to the temp page (hence the 302 redirect).
                              This happens when a crawler is denied access (such as Xenu) and/or the page is blocked to a members only page (in which case the user is redirected to the login page).

                              Regards

                              Chris

                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009
                                That's how WordPress works when you use the Permalink structure option.
                                What you say would be true if the URL's did not have the trailing slash, but you'll note that they all end with / which IRC indicates that it is not a directory, but a file.

                                So
                                http://fauxflix.com/blog-make-a-slideshow/
                                indicates a file
                                where as
                                http://fauxflix.com/blog-make-a-slideshow
                                would indicate a directory

                                So the file structure it is returning is correct, it is her .htaccess (via settings on her WordPress dashboard) which is causing the server to return not founds when in fact they do exist.

                                Regards

                                Chris

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009
                                  • Shiner
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009
                                      If you can't find your old .htaccess file, download and install the WP Super Cache plugin and that "should" create a new .htaccess for you.  (Never tried that before, but I know it does create a new .htaccess file)

                                      Chris

                                      KWhite wrote:

                                      Okay, did the following:

                                      Deleted all my redirects (didn’t work)

                                      Checked privacy settings, and they are set to be visible to everyone

                                      I don’t currently have an .htaccess file, so I am looking in history for the last one that worked to restore it.

                                      (So far, my .htaccess has been the source of most of my aggravation. )

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Oct 26, 2009