Re: [xenu-usergroup] not all adresses are indexed

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 15, 2009
      On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 07:46:35 -0000, Lars Ekdahl wrote:

      >Maybe off toppic
      >
      >When I send the sitemap Google accept it and find totally all the 5676 adresses but index only 3395? Do you know why

      Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean. What did google tell you?
      Where do the two numbers come from?

      Tilman
    • Lars Ekdahl
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 15, 2009

        > On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 07:46:35 -0000, Lars Ekdahl wrote:
        >
        > >Maybe off toppic
        > >
        > >When I send the sitemap Google accept it and find totally all the 5676 adresses but index only 3395? Do you know why
        >
        > Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean. What did google tell you?
        > Where do the two numbers come from?
        >
        > Tilman

        When I logg into my account at Google webmaster Tool I read on the websitemap that Google found 5676 adresses but index only 3395 from mysitemap.xml
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 15, 2009
          On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 15:41:44 -0000, Lars Ekdahl wrote:

          >--- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 07:46:35 -0000, Lars Ekdahl wrote:
          >>
          >> >Maybe off toppic
          >> >
          >> >When I send the sitemap Google accept it and find totally all the 5676 adresses but index only 3395? Do you know why
          >>
          >> Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean. What did google tell you?
          >> Where do the two numbers come from?
          >>
          >> Tilman
          >>
          >When I logg into my account at Google webmaster Tool I read on the websitemap that Google found 5676 adresses but index only 3395 from mysitemap.xml

          I still don't understand. Why not copy the text that google tells you,
          or make a screenshot?

          Bit I looked into a google account. It says:

          "Total URLs in Sitemap"
          XXX

          Indexed URLs in Sitemap
          YYY

          And YYY < XXX. That means that google did not index all URLs in the
          sitemap. That is googles decision, not mine.

        • Lars Ekdahl
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 15, 2009

            > On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 15:41:44 -0000, Lars Ekdahl wrote:
            >
            > >--- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@> wrote:

            > >> Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean. What did google tell you?
            > >> Where do the two numbers come from?
            > >>
            > >> Tilman
            > >>
            > >When I logg into my account at Google webmaster Tool I read on the websitemap that Google found 5676 adresses but index only 3395 from mysitemap.xml
            >
            > I still don't understand. Why not copy the text that google tells you,
            > or make a screenshot?
            >
            > Bit I looked into a google account. It says:
            >
            > "Total URLs in Sitemap"
            > XXX
            >
            > Indexed URLs in Sitemap
            > YYY
            >
            > And YYY < XXX. That means that google did not index all URLs in the
            > sitemap. That is googles decision, not mine.

            >Thats right. I thoughthowever that you maybe had a hintfor me why Google made a decision not to index 2281 pages out of totally 5676 . I perfectly understand that it has nothing to do with you . Just hoped you hade the knowledge. Tried to read the helpfile in Google webmaster Tool but did not find an answere

          • Chris
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 15, 2009
              --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "Lars Ekdahl" <baloo5419@...> wrote:

              > Maybe off toppic
              >
              > When I send the sitemap Google accept it and find totally all the 5676 adresses but index only 3395? Do you know why

              Google don't always give you the "full" picture.
              (Otherwise we'd soon be able to work out how their algorithms work and it would put gazillions of SEO people out of work)

              But the main reason is supplying a sitemap to Google is NOT a guarantee that they will add ALL the URL's within the sitemap to their index.

              There maybe pages which Google will add to the 'secondary' index (better known as the 'supplemental' index.

              The "supplemental index" is contains files which Google doesn't know what to do with, OR, contains content is doesn't want in it's main index.

              One reason a page can end up in the "supplemental index" is 'duplicate content'. (i.e. you have a blog, you use TAGs and your tag page is exactly the same as the main landing page.
              Or, your page is a duplicate of a KNOWN PRIOR existing page on ANOTHER site (whether it be directly scraped or just a coincidental copy).

              Or, your page is so badly structured (in HTML terms for example), that Google couldn't find the content in your page, so threw that page in the "supplemental index" rather than put it in the main index. (Broken JS or too many HTML validation errors sometimes causes Googlebot to just 'give up').

              There are many other reasons why content might not appear in the main index, but the above two reasons hopefully give you some sort of explanation.

              Regards

              Chris
            • Lars Ekdahl
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 15, 2009
                --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <shinerweb@...> wrote:

                > --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "Lars Ekdahl" <baloo5419@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Maybe off toppic
                > >
                > > When I send the sitemap Google accept it and find totally all the 5676 adresses but index only 3395? Do you know why
                > >

                > Google don't always give you the "full" picture.
                > (Otherwise we'd soon be able to work out how their algorithms work and it would put gazillions of SEO people out of work)
                >
                > But the main reason is supplying a sitemap to Google is NOT a guarantee that they will add ALL the URL's within the sitemap to their index.
                >
                > There maybe pages which Google will add to the 'secondary' index (better known as the 'supplemental' index.
                >
                > The "supplemental index" is contains files which Google doesn't know what to do with, OR, contains content is doesn't want in it's main index.
                >
                > One reason a page can end up in the "supplemental index" is 'duplicate content'. (i.e. you have a blog, you use TAGs and your tag page is exactly the same as the main landing page.
                > Or, your page is a duplicate of a KNOWN PRIOR existing page on ANOTHER site (whether it be directly scraped or just a coincidental copy).
                >
                > Or, your page is so badly structured (in HTML terms for example), that Google couldn't find the content in your page, so threw that page in the "supplemental index" rather than put it in the main index. (Broken JS or too many HTML validation errors sometimes causes Googlebot to just 'give up').
                >
                > There are many other reasons why content might not appear in the main index, but the above two reasons hopefully give you some sort of explanation.
                >
                > Regards
                >
                > Chris

                Thanks!
                /Lars