Re: [xenu-usergroup] Re: What does Timeout mean?

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 9, 2009
      On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 16:20:51 -0000, penelope.bellegarde wrote:

      >Hi Tilman,
      >
      >I have done what you suggested and yes all my timeout urls have dissapeared but I got approximately 11,000 urls whereas our site only has around 1,500 urls..
      >Do you know what I am getting so many more urls?

      Maybe you have a session id in the URL and new session IDs are constanty
      generated, or maybe you have calendar URLs that count up and up and up.
      Plus, the total count of URLs depends of the external links too.

      Tilman

      >Thank you
      >
      >Penelope
      >

      >--- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 09:03:39 -0000, penelope.bellegarde wrote:
      >>

      >> >Hello,
      >> >
      >> >I need to content categorise all our websites and for that I downloaded Xenu yesterday to generate all our sites' urls.
      >> >For most of them it says "time out" in the status column: when copying and pasting these urls into my browser, they are actually valid urls.
      >> >
      >> >What are your recommendations as to what I need to do for these urls?...
      >>
      >> Press CTRL-R and retry. Also, uncheck "fail all URLs of same failed
      >> host" in the options. Make also sure that your external firewall does
      >> not consider Xenu to be a DoS tool, or set a low amount of threads in
      >> the options dialog.
      >>
      >> Tilman
      >>

      >> >Many Thanks
      >> >
      >> >Penelope

    • Thomas Fischer
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 9, 2009
        Hi Penelope,

        are all this URLs from your site?
        Or are you checking outgoing URLs as well? (This is controlled by tthe "Check external links" in the starting panel.)
        Another option might be URLs dynamically created, e.g. if you have a CMS providing the same page under different URLs. To work on this, you might need to use the "Do not check any URLs beginning with this:" feature, which is a little bit advanced.

        Cheers
        Thomas

        I have done what you suggested and yes all my timeout urls have dissapeared but I got approximately 11,000 urls whereas our site only has around 1,500 urls..
        Do you know what I am getting so many more urls?

        Thank you

        Penelope

        --- In xenu-usergroup@ yahoogroups. com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@...> wrote:

        > On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 09:03:39 -0000, penelope.bellegarde wrote:
        >

        > >Hello,
        > >
        > >I need to content categorise all our websites and for that I downloaded Xenu yesterday to generate all our sites' urls.
        > >For most of them it says "time out" in the status column: when copying and pasting these urls into my browser, they are actually valid urls.
        > >
        > >What are your recommendations as to what I need to do for these urls?...
        >
        > Press CTRL-R and retry. Also, uncheck "fail all URLs of same failed
        > host" in the options. Make also sure that your external firewall does
        > not consider Xenu to be a DoS tool, or set a low amount of threads in
        > the options dialog.
        >
        > Tilman
        >

        > >Many Thanks
        > >
        > >Penelope

      • penelope.bellegarde
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 10, 2009
          Hi Thomas,

          Thank you for your question, actually I was surprised to see that some of the urls I got back were not from my site so I have now unticked the check external links box.
          These urls that I got but that were not from my site, are they urls sending traffic to my site?...

          Thank you very much
          --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Fischer" <fischer@...> wrote:

          > Hi Penelope,
          >
          > are all this URLs from your site?
          > Or are you checking outgoing URLs as well? (This is controlled by tthe
          > "Check external links" in the starting panel.)
          > Another option might be URLs dynamically created, e.g. if you have a CMS
          > providing the same page under different URLs. To work on this, you might
          > need to use the "Do not check any URLs beginning with this:" feature, which
          > is a little bit advanced.
          >
          > Cheers
          > Thomas
          >

          > _____

        • penelope.bellegarde
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 10, 2009
            Hi Tilman,

            I have unticked the check external links box so hopefully I should get less urls
            I am fairly new to this process so I do appreciate you and the other group's users coming back to me so quickly!

            Thanks

            Penelope

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 10, 2009
              On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 16:38:54 -0000, penelope.bellegarde wrote:

              >Hi Tilman,
              >
              >I have unticked the check external links box so hopefully I should get less urls

              No, they will still appear, but they won't be checked.

              Tilman

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 10, 2009
                On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 16:35:25 -0000, penelope.bellegarde wrote:

                >Hi Thomas,
                >
                >Thank you for your question, actually I was surprised to see that some of the urls I got back were not from my site so I have now unticked the check external links box.
                >These urls that I got but that were not from my site, are they urls sending traffic to my site?...

                No, these are external URLs you link to.

                Tilman