What does Timeout mean?

  • penelope.bellegarde
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 9, 2009
      Hello,

      I need to content categorise all our websites and for that I downloaded Xenu yesterday to generate all our sites' urls.
      For most of them it says "time out" in the status column: when copying and pasting these urls into my browser, they are actually valid urls.

      What are your recommendations as to what I need to do for these urls?...

      Many Thanks

      Penelope
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 9, 2009
        On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 09:03:39 -0000, penelope.bellegarde wrote:

        >Hello,
        >
        >I need to content categorise all our websites and for that I downloaded Xenu yesterday to generate all our sites' urls.
        >For most of them it says "time out" in the status column: when copying and pasting these urls into my browser, they are actually valid urls.
        >
        >What are your recommendations as to what I need to do for these urls?...

        Press CTRL-R and retry. Also, uncheck "fail all URLs of same failed
        host" in the options. Make also sure that your external firewall does
        not consider Xenu to be a DoS tool, or set a low amount of threads in
        the options dialog.

        Tilman

        >Many Thanks
        >
        >Penelope

      • Thomas Fischer
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 9, 2009
          Hi Penelope,

          you could try two things:

          1. Use the "retry" feature: File -> "Retruy broken Links" (CTRL-R)
          2. I don't know if this helps, but you can reduce the number of parallell threads in Options->Preferences

          But many timeouts might really indicate a problem on your site: XENU just produces a moderate load on the site and it should be able to answer in time.

          Good luck
          Thomas

          -- --
          Thomas Fischer
          Niedersächsische Staats- und Universitätsbibliothek
          Historisches Gebäude
          Papendiek 14
          37070 Göttingen

        • penelope.bellegarde
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 9, 2009
            Hi Thomas,
            Thank you for this.
            I will try what you said.

            Penelop

            --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Fischer" <fischer@...> wrote:

            > Hi Penelope,
            >
            > you could try two things:
            >
            > 1. Use the "retry" feature: File -> "Retruy broken Links" (CTRL-R)
            > 2. I don't know if this helps, but you can reduce the number of parallell
            > threads in Options->Preferences
            >
            > But many timeouts might really indicate a problem on your site: XENU just
            > produces a moderate load on the site and it should be able to answer in
            > time.
            >
            > Good luck
            > Thomas
            >
            > -- --
            > Thomas Fischer
            > Niedersächsische Staats- und Universitätsbibliothek
            > Historisches Gebäude
            > Papendiek 14
            > 37070 Göttingen

          • penelope.bellegarde
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 9, 2009
              Hi Thomas,
              Thank you for this.
              I will try what you said.

              Penelop

              --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Fischer" <fischer@...> wrote:

              > Hi Penelope,
              >
              > you could try two things:
              >
              > 1. Use the "retry" feature: File -> "Retruy broken Links" (CTRL-R)
              > 2. I don't know if this helps, but you can reduce the number of parallell
              > threads in Options->Preferences
              >
              > But many timeouts might really indicate a problem on your site: XENU just
              > produces a moderate load on the site and it should be able to answer in
              > time.
              >
              > Good luck
              > Thomas
              >
              > -- --
              > Thomas Fischer
              > Niedersächsische Staats- und Universitätsbibliothek
              > Historisches Gebäude
              > Papendiek 14
              > 37070 Göttingen

            • penelope.bellegarde
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 9, 2009
                Hi Tilman,

                Thank you very much for this.
                I will try this.

                Penelope

                > On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 09:03:39 -0000, penelope.bellegarde wrote:
                >

                > >Hello,
                > >
                > >I need to content categorise all our websites and for that I downloaded Xenu yesterday to generate all our sites' urls.
                > >For most of them it says "time out" in the status column: when copying and pasting these urls into my browser, they are actually valid urls.
                > >
                > >What are your recommendations as to what I need to do for these urls?...
                >
                > Press CTRL-R and retry. Also, uncheck "fail all URLs of same failed
                > host" in the options. Make also sure that your external firewall does
                > not consider Xenu to be a DoS tool, or set a low amount of threads in
                > the options dialog.
                >
                > Tilman
                >

                > >Many Thanks
                > >
                > >Penelope

              • penelope.bellegarde
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 9, 2009
                  Hi Tilman,

                  I have done what you suggested and yes all my timeout urls have dissapeared but I got approximately 11,000 urls whereas our site only has around 1,500 urls..
                  Do you know what I am getting so many more urls?

                  Thank you

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 9, 2009
                    On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 16:20:51 -0000, penelope.bellegarde wrote:

                    >Hi Tilman,
                    >
                    >I have done what you suggested and yes all my timeout urls have dissapeared but I got approximately 11,000 urls whereas our site only has around 1,500 urls..
                    >Do you know what I am getting so many more urls?

                    Maybe you have a session id in the URL and new session IDs are constanty
                    generated, or maybe you have calendar URLs that count up and up and up.
                    Plus, the total count of URLs depends of the external links too.

                    Tilman

                    >Thank you
                    >
                    >Penelope
                    >

                    >--- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 09:03:39 -0000, penelope.bellegarde wrote:
                    >>

                    >> >Hello,
                    >> >
                    >> >I need to content categorise all our websites and for that I downloaded Xenu yesterday to generate all our sites' urls.
                    >> >For most of them it says "time out" in the status column: when copying and pasting these urls into my browser, they are actually valid urls.
                    >> >
                    >> >What are your recommendations as to what I need to do for these urls?...
                    >>
                    >> Press CTRL-R and retry. Also, uncheck "fail all URLs of same failed
                    >> host" in the options. Make also sure that your external firewall does
                    >> not consider Xenu to be a DoS tool, or set a low amount of threads in
                    >> the options dialog.
                    >>
                    >> Tilman
                    >>

                    >> >Many Thanks
                    >> >
                    >> >Penelope

                  • Thomas Fischer
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 9, 2009
                      Hi Penelope,

                      are all this URLs from your site?
                      Or are you checking outgoing URLs as well? (This is controlled by tthe "Check external links" in the starting panel.)
                      Another option might be URLs dynamically created, e.g. if you have a CMS providing the same page under different URLs. To work on this, you might need to use the "Do not check any URLs beginning with this:" feature, which is a little bit advanced.

                      Cheers
                      Thomas

                      I have done what you suggested and yes all my timeout urls have dissapeared but I got approximately 11,000 urls whereas our site only has around 1,500 urls..
                      Do you know what I am getting so many more urls?

                      Thank you

                      Penelope

                      --- In xenu-usergroup@ yahoogroups. com, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@...> wrote:

                      > On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 09:03:39 -0000, penelope.bellegarde wrote:
                      >

                      > >Hello,
                      > >
                      > >I need to content categorise all our websites and for that I downloaded Xenu yesterday to generate all our sites' urls.
                      > >For most of them it says "time out" in the status column: when copying and pasting these urls into my browser, they are actually valid urls.
                      > >
                      > >What are your recommendations as to what I need to do for these urls?...
                      >
                      > Press CTRL-R and retry. Also, uncheck "fail all URLs of same failed
                      > host" in the options. Make also sure that your external firewall does
                      > not consider Xenu to be a DoS tool, or set a low amount of threads in
                      > the options dialog.
                      >
                      > Tilman
                      >

                      > >Many Thanks
                      > >
                      > >Penelope

                    • penelope.bellegarde
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 10, 2009
                        Hi Thomas,

                        Thank you for your question, actually I was surprised to see that some of the urls I got back were not from my site so I have now unticked the check external links box.
                        These urls that I got but that were not from my site, are they urls sending traffic to my site?...

                        Thank you very much
                        --- In xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Fischer" <fischer@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Penelope,
                        >
                        > are all this URLs from your site?
                        > Or are you checking outgoing URLs as well? (This is controlled by tthe
                        > "Check external links" in the starting panel.)
                        > Another option might be URLs dynamically created, e.g. if you have a CMS
                        > providing the same page under different URLs. To work on this, you might
                        > need to use the "Do not check any URLs beginning with this:" feature, which
                        > is a little bit advanced.
                        >
                        > Cheers
                        > Thomas
                        >

                        > _____

                      • penelope.bellegarde
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 10, 2009
                          Hi Tilman,

                          I have unticked the check external links box so hopefully I should get less urls
                          I am fairly new to this process so I do appreciate you and the other group's users coming back to me so quickly!

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 10, 2009
                            On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 16:38:54 -0000, penelope.bellegarde wrote:

                            >Hi Tilman,
                            >
                            >I have unticked the check external links box so hopefully I should get less urls

                            No, they will still appear, but they won't be checked.

                            Tilman

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 10, 2009
                              On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 16:35:25 -0000, penelope.bellegarde wrote:

                              >Hi Thomas,
                              >
                              >Thank you for your question, actually I was surprised to see that some of the urls I got back were not from my site so I have now unticked the check external links box.
                              >These urls that I got but that were not from my site, are they urls sending traffic to my site?...

                              No, these are external URLs you link to.

                              Tilman