AW: [xenu-usergroup] Spider sitemap

  • Thomas Fischer
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 14, 2009
      Hello!

      > One way to solve this is ( without asking Tilman for more
      > development):
      >

      > 1. Download the target XML sitemap
      >
      > 2. Open it with Excel or similar.
      > 3. Select the valid URLs and copy them
      > 4. Create a file with the list of URLs, with one URL in each line.
      > 5. Go to XENU and go to File > Check URL list ( test)
      > 6. Open the file with URLs .
      > 7. ready. :-)

      My understanding is that this won't work as intended.
      The "File > Check URL list ( test)" is a multiple "Check URL" feature, which
      would spawn separate crawlings for each URL, which is not the goal here.
      If you want to check a list of URLs, the only way seems to be to create
      links
      <A HREF="...">Anything</A>
      and store them in a file. Then use the "Check URL..." with the "Local
      File..." option. You must mark the "Check external links" checkbox, because
      all the URLs you give are external to the local file, and you might end up
      with some URLs checked that are more remote than you expected.
      By the way, I would use a text editor to extract the URLs from the sitemap
      and create the links; on Windows Notepad++ will do nicely, as will
      TextWrangler on a Mac.

      All the best
      Thomas
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 14, 2009
        Thomas is right :-)

        Honestly, the idea to check a google XML sitemap sounds weird to me.
        Check the website, not its XML map.

        Tilman