AW: [xenu-usergroup] new help file as .chm

  • Thomas Fischer
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 24, 2009
      Hi Tilman,

      I couldn't find anything in the file xenu.chm I downloaded, I only get messages of the kind:

      Die Adresse ist ungültig.

      Wahrscheinlichste Ursachen:

      • Die Adresse enthält eventuell einen Tippfehler.
      • Der Link, auf den Sie geklickt haben, ist eventuell nicht mehr aktuell.
      Do I have to call it in a special way?

      Another question:
      In my link report I have
      Is there a way that this could be indicated in the report?

      Finally:
      I have a list of URLs I want to have checked. But the "Check URL list" function in Xenu 1.3a beta did follow links as well. Although most of the external links where marked as "skip external", it must have sneeked out to some sites. E.g. it checked:

      Is there a way to control this? Perhaps by setting options in advance, since the "Check URL list" function doesn't show the options window?

      Cheers
      Thomas

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 24, 2009
        On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 17:12:13 +0100, Thomas Fischer wrote:

        >Hi Tilman,
        >
        >I couldn't find anything in the file xenu.chm I downloaded, I only get
        >messages of the kind:
        >
        >Die Adresse ist ungültig.

        Maybe you made a typo... I just tested
        http://home.snafu.de/tilman/tmp/xenu.chm
        again and it works.

        >Another question:
        >In my link report I have
        >http://edoc.hu-berlin.de/dissertationen/lederer-christian-2001-10-10/
        >
        >redirected to:
        >http://edoc.hu-berlin.de/frontpage.php/dissertationen/lederer-christian-2001-10-10
        ><http://edoc.hu-berlin.de/frontpage.php/dissertationen/lederer-christian-2001-10-10but>
        >
        >but when I actually try to access this page I and up with
        >http://edoc.hu-berlin.de/docviews/abstract.php?lang=ger
        ><http://edoc.hu-berlin.de/docviews/abstract.php?lang=ger&id=27459> &id=27459
        >Is there a way that this could be indicated in the report?

        The problem is that the redirected URL with
        "http://edoc.hu-berlin.de/frontpage.php..." is already external, so it
        isn't explored further. The solution would be to include some of it in
        the initial dialogbox.

        >Finally:
        >I have a list of URLs I want to have checked. But the "Check URL list"
        >function in Xenu 1.3a beta did follow links as well. Although most of the
        >external links where marked as "skip external", it must have sneeked out to
        >some sites. E.g. it checked:
        >http://scidok.sulb.uni-saarland.de/volltexte/2007/1137/
        >
        > http://scidok.sulb.uni-saarland.de/volltexte/2007/1137/blind.gif
        >
        > \_____ error code: 404 (not found)
        >

        >http://scidok.sulb.uni-saarland.de/volltexte/2007/1137/Icons/blind.gif
        >
        > \_____ error code: 404 (not found)
        >

        >Is there a way to control this? Perhaps by setting options in advance, since
        >the "Check URL list" function doesn't show the options window?

        The check URL list feature does spider. Its real purpose is to check
        several domains at once.

        Tilman

        >Cheers
        >Thomas
        >

        > _____

      • Thomas Fischer
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 25, 2009
          Hello Tilman,

          > >Hi Tilman,
          > >
          > >I couldn't find anything in the file xenu.chm I downloaded,
          > I only get
          > >messages of the kind:
          > >
          > >Die Adresse ist ungültig.
          >
          > Maybe you made a typo... I just tested
          > http://home.snafu.de/tilman/tmp/xenu.chm
          > again and it works.

          Probably I didn't do the right thing...
          What am I supposed to do with http://home.snafu.de/tilman/tmp/xenu.chm?
          I downloaded it and opened the file with a double click with the result
          described.
          Does this probably depend on it or Xenu being in a particular directory?

          All the best
          Thomas
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 25, 2009
            You can put it anywhere... This is a "compiled HTML help file". There
            should be tons of such files on your system. The size of the file is
            42.918 Bytes. It is launched with C:\WINDOWS\hh.exe.

            Tilman

            On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:30:11 +0100, Thomas Fischer
            <fischer@...-goettingen.de> wrote:

            > Hello Tilman,
            >
            > > >Hi Tilman,
            > > >
            > > >I couldn't find anything in the file xenu.chm I downloaded,
            > > I only get
            > > >messages of the kind:
            > > >
            > > >Die Adresse ist ungültig.
            > >
            > > Maybe you made a typo... I just tested
            > > http://home.snafu.de/tilman/tmp/xenu.chm
            > > again and it works.
            >
            > Probably I didn't do the right thing...
            > What am I supposed to do with http://home.snafu.de/tilman/tmp/xenu.chm?
            > I downloaded it and opened the file with a double click with the result
            > described.
            > Does this probably depend on it or Xenu being in a particular
            > directory?
            >
            > All the best
            > Thomas

          • Thomas Fischer
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 26, 2009
              Hello Tilman,

              I try to attach a screenshot of my experience with the help file.
              It should make clear why this is useless for me; I get the same result on
              the right for every entry on the left.
              The size is given as 42.918 bytes as required.

              All the best
              Thomas

            • Al Guevara
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 26, 2009
                Firewall issue?
                AL

                From: "Thomas Fischer" <fischer@...-goettingen.de>
                To: <xenu-usergroup@yahoogroups.com>
                Subject: AW: AW: [xenu-usergroup] new help file as .chm

              • stfcs@softhome.net
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 26, 2009
                  Hi Thomas - This is a Windows security issue which does not allow Help files
                  to be opened from network drives, ... A Google search will find you loads of
                  help hints. Clive

                  Thomas Fischer writes:

                  > Hello Tilman,
                  >
                  > I try to attach a screenshot of my experience with the help file.
                  > It should make clear why this is useless for me; I get the same result on
                  > the right for every entry on the left.
                  > The size is given as 42.918 bytes as required.
                  >
                  > All the best
                  > Thomas

                  ***********************************
                  * * * * Clive * * * * Sabey * * * *