AW: [xenu-usergroup] Exclude URLs not working.

  • Thomas Fischer
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 11, 2008
      Hi Tilman,

      > > how is that possible? I am looking at my screen right now
      > > and those urls are in my exclusion list.
      >
      > Maybe you added them later. But not in the job you sent me.
      > This is shown in the report. Some people do the following
      > mistake: they add to the list first, then they enter the URL.
      > Thus, the old setting is loaded.

      Yes, the same mistake happened to me and puzzled me for a while.
      Would it be possible to adjust the interface so that you first have to enter
      or pick the URL to check and then adjust the other settings?

      When you select the "Check URL..." menu entry, an empty URL box appears and
      lists of URLs to be included or excluded. Do they have any meaning at this
      stage? Are these default settings? In my setting, these fit only one
      particular URL. As soon as I pick this or another URL, these lists change
      (and changes I made to them are lost).

      I was wondering if different settings for different URLs might be easier to
      handle (I can edit the Xenu.ini file manually but it is no fun): if I have
      such an .ini file for every base URL I want to check I would end up with a
      dozen or so files but it would be easier to manage; you also might gain some
      room in the interface for the display of the inclusion and exclusion URLs.
      To switch from one setting or URL to another I would prefer something like a
      bookmark list, this would make it clear that there is a complete switch of
      the environment, and all list would be tied to a particular URL. In
      addition, I could create links that call Xenu with a particular .ini file
      and give them to different people so that they can check their sites without
      the danger of messing up the settings of the others.

      All the best
      Thomas
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 12, 2008
        On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 09:23:22 +0100, Thomas Fischer wrote:

        >Hi Tilman,
        >
        >> > how is that possible? I am looking at my screen right now
        >> > and those urls are in my exclusion list.
        >>
        >> Maybe you added them later. But not in the job you sent me.
        >> This is shown in the report. Some people do the following
        >> mistake: they add to the list first, then they enter the URL.
        >> Thus, the old setting is loaded.
        >
        >Yes, the same mistake happened to me and puzzled me for a while.
        >Would it be possible to adjust the interface so that you first have to enter
        >or pick the URL to check and then adjust the other settings?

        I agree that the current solution sucks, but I haven't found an
        alternative I like. The best (and easiest) will probably be to notice
        when *changed* settings are being replaced, and notify the user.

        >When you select the "Check URL..." menu entry, an empty URL box appears and
        >lists of URLs to be included or excluded. Do they have any meaning at this
        >stage? Are these default settings? In my setting, these fit only one
        >particular URL. As soon as I pick this or another URL, these lists change
        >(and changes I made to them are lost).

        These are the last settings from the last run.

        Tilman

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 8, 2009
          Hello,
          A fan made a new help file, now as a .CHM file. It is uploaded here:
          http://home.snafu.de/tilman/tmp/xenu.chm
          It is more up-to-date than the old .HLP files. If I don't hear any
          protests, I'll include it in the next release.
          Tilman
        • Cy
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 24, 2009
            Try this link -

            Cy Stapleton
            Lufkin, TX
            ========
            If you do not read newspapers you are un-informed. If you read newspapers you are miss-informed.
            =====
            Subscribe to my free periodic newsletter at www.hotlinecy.com/maillist.htm
            =====
            See my blog at http://lufkincy.blogspot.com/
            Cy Stapleton
            Box 151107
            Lufkin, TX 75915-1107
            heroautographs@...
            www.hotlinecy.com
            936-676-6375
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 15, 2010
              On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 19:34:51 +0100, Tilman Hausherr wrote:

              >On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 09:23:22 +0100, Thomas Fischer wrote:
              >
              >>Hi Tilman,

              >>> Maybe you added them later. But not in the job you sent me.
              >>> This is shown in the report. Some people do the following
              >>> mistake: they add to the list first, then they enter the URL.
              >>> Thus, the old setting is loaded.
              >>
              >>Yes, the same mistake happened to me and puzzled me for a while.
              >>Would it be possible to adjust the interface so that you first have to enter
              >>or pick the URL to check and then adjust the other settings?
              >
              >I agree that the current solution sucks, but I haven't found an
              >alternative I like. The best (and easiest) will probably be to notice
              >when *changed* settings are being replaced, and notify the user.

              I've now made a change as described in the paragraph above. Better late
              than never. I also fixed some minor bugs in that dialogbox (the "delete"
              and "inactive" controls weren't disabled and reset when needed). Sorry
              for waiting so long for something so easy and useful.

              And no, you still can't save your settings in a "project file" or
              similar as explained in your mail from 4 Jan 2010. But I'll keep that
              mail.

              Tilman

              PS: This version also loads the description meta.